Beats Studio3
May 16, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #676 of 904
I mean to enthusiasts like those on this site :wink:. Sound quality over fashion but I prefer to have both.

Good point.. while I definitely really do appreciate (and sometimes buy!) good-looking headphones, I also have some pretty clunky looking headphones but don't care because I'm aiming for a particular sound signature, comfort feature, or what have you. One of my favorite budget headphones are the JVC HA-RX700, I love the clean, detailed sound, the quite above average soundstage, and the really low price for all that... but they're absolutely one of the dorkiest looking headphones I've ever owned -- just really ugly puppies. :sweat_smile:

May 16, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #677 of 904
Good point.. while I definitely really do appreciate (and sometimes buy!) good-looking headphones, I also have some pretty clunky looking headphones but don't care because I'm aiming for a particular sound signature, comfort feature, or what have you. One of my favorite budget headphones are the JVC HA-RX700, I love the clean, detailed sound, the quite above average soundstage, and the really low price for all that... but they're absolutely one of the dorkiest looking headphones I've ever owned -- just really ugly puppies. :sweat_smile:

Those aren’t too bad, especially for the price... the ATH-AD700 was my first real pair of headphones and they’re a gaudy purple. Built like a tank though.

May 16, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #678 of 904
Those aren’t too bad, especially for the price... the ATH-AD700 was my first real pair of headphones and they’re a gaudy purple. Built like a tank though.

LOL, I know exactly what you're talking about because my co-worker bought those several years ago and I have a picture of him with them on on a day he happened to be wearing what can only be a described as a matching shirt and tie. I rather like that color way, although it is certainly not stoic or conservative looking by any means, and of course it's a big and has those big wings and the wires above it....

May 16, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #679 of 904
LOL, I know exactly what you're talking about because my co-worker bought those several years ago and I have a picture of him with them on on a day he happened to be wearing what can only be a described as a matching shirt and tie. I rather like that color way, although it is certainly not stoic or conservative looking by any means, and of course it's a big and has those big wings and the wires above it....

Super comfortable though :p.

May 20, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #680 of 904
I’ve only used the Studio3 three times since re-buying but my main feature request is a quick way to pause the music and disable ANC. The ANC is so strong that it can muffle voices which is impressive but taking them off to talk to people for a second is a pain. Sony’s 1000x lets you put one hand over the earcup to accomplish this.

May 27, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #681 of 904
Various retailers are clearing Studio3 out as low as $204.99, including Target. I assume it wasn’t selling well.

May 27, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #682 of 904
Various retailers are clearing Studio3 out as low as $204.99, including Target. I assume it wasn’t selling well.
I'm sure it's not. The Studio2 were the Studio3 killers from the beginning. They sold the 3 alongside the 2. Big mistake without making major changes to the 3. You could find the 2 for $100 or more cheaper when the 3 first came out. The 3 is a better headphone in my opinion, but the average consumer is not going to care about the W1 chip and slight improvement to the sound. Some even think the 2 sounds better because of the heavier bass

May 27, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #683 of 904
I'm sure it's not. The Studio2 were the Studio3 killers from the beginning. They sold the 3 alongside the 2. Big mistake without making major changes to the 3. You could find the 2 for $100 or more cheaper when the 3 first came out. The 3 is a better headphone in my opinion, but the average consumer is not going to care about the W1 chip and slight improvement to the sound. Some even think the 2 sounds better because of the heavier bass

People were confused and thought the Studio2 was the newer Studio3 model. (The box only said Studio Wireless for the Studio2.) Literally a week or two after Studio3 was released they already had Studio Wireless at holiday promotional pricing of $149.99. Early feedback was very mixed as well. Target has already cleared out their entire stock online. I’d venture to say the 2 probably sounded better than the 3 at launch because it had underemphasized the lower mids and more sub-bass. I probably would’ve bought the Studio 2 out of curiosity if it wasn’t for the reviews complaining about terrible build quality that pretty much guaranteed they’d fall apart.

It’s a shame because I do think the Studio3 today is almost significantly better than it was at launch, even up to par of the QC35 and 1000XM2 or better depending on the buyer. I’m still curious if this was due to changes made in the firmware or if my first unit had poor clamping force. The mids today do sound cleaner to me and I get bass impact. I’m going to have to assume my first unit had faulty clamping force since I couldn’t wear them without them falling off which contributed to the poor isolation and bass, whereas this unit I’m fairly comfortable wearing. Even ANC is better. Too little too late.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #684 of 904
People were confused and thought the Studio2 was the newer Studio3 model. (The box only said Studio Wireless for the Studio2.) Literally a week or two after Studio3 was released they already had Studio Wireless at holiday promotional pricing of $149.99. Early feedback was very mixed as well. Target has already cleared out their entire stock online. I’d venture to say the 2 probably sounded better than the 3 at launch because it had underemphasized the lower mids and more sub-bass. I probably would’ve bought the Studio 2 out of curiosity if it wasn’t for the reviews complaining about terrible build quality that pretty much guaranteed they’d fall apart.

It’s a shame because I do think the Studio3 today is almost significantly better than it was at launch, even up to par of the QC35 and 1000XM2 or better depending on the buyer. I’m still curious if this was due to changes made in the firmware or if my first unit had poor clamping force. The mids today do sound cleaner to me and I get bass impact. I’m going to have to assume my first unit had faulty clamping force since I couldn’t wear them without them falling off which contributed to the poor isolation and bass, whereas this unit I’m fairly comfortable wearing. Even ANC is better. Too little too late.
It's definitely improved. I've had them since launch and my first impressions of them after coming from the Studio2 was that I wasn't sure I preferred the sound. I felt they had less bass and excitement, although they sounded cleaner. They've had a couple of updates and have definitely improved.

May 28, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #685 of 904
I’m curious what the long-term play with the Studio3 is. I expected retailers to offer a $149-$199 Black Friday price this year to help move units similar to the Studio 2.0 sale last year. Considering that Target has already cleared out their inventory and other retailers are following, I wonder if that means Beats will ignore the Studio3 and only promote whatever new headphones they release in the fall. I suppose it’s possible they could re-introduce the Studio3 to consumers via Black Friday pricing. I also assume a higher than average return rate, as I notice a general sense of disappointment in comments/forums, has something to do with the headphones being pulled from certain retailers.

Again, it’s a shame because I feel at <$249 and with the changes Beats has made Studio3 is now a solid headphone especially in the ANC space. Still not best-in-class like Solo3 is for an on-ear in its price range but a very solid performer nonetheless. The clearance doesn’t give me much confidence in its future.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #686 of 904
I don't think everyone is getting rid of their Beats Studio3 inventory. Best Buy has them at a pretty normal price of $309.99, just $40 off of MSRP. It may be that just generic retailers (like Target) are getting rid of them, but retailers who specialize in electronics (e.g., Best Buys) aren't?

May 28, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #687 of 904
I’m curious what the long-term play with the Studio3 is. I expected retailers to offer a $149-$199 Black Friday price this year to help move units similar to the Studio 2.0 sale last year. Considering that Target has already cleared out their inventory and other retailers are following, I wonder if that means Beats will ignore the Studio3 and only promote whatever new headphones they release in the fall. I suppose it’s possible they could re-introduce the Studio3 to consumers via Black Friday pricing. I also assume a higher than average return rate, as I notice a general sense of disappointment in comments/forums, has something to do with the headphones being pulled from certain retailers.

Again, it’s a shame because I feel at <$249 and with the changes Beats has made Studio3 is now a solid headphone especially in the ANC space. Still not best-in-class like Solo3 is for an on-ear in its price range but a very solid performer nonetheless. The clearance doesn’t give me much confidence in its future.
It's definitely right up there when it comes to Wireless SQ with all the popular models today, and I've heard them all. You just have to like the Beats tuning with it's mid bass, in your face sound. Beats is about fun, loud, exciting listening, not hearing the Cello player in the back of the Orchestra sneezing LOL. It's unique in it's sound signature and that's why I like it. Still trying to decide which one or two I'm going to give up out of my Crossfade II, Sennheiser HD1, Sony H.ear On 2, and Studio 3. I really do love all 4 of these sound signatures. I'm still in the return window on my Beats Studio 3, Crossfade II, and HD1. Decisions...

May 28, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #688 of 904
It's definitely right up there when it comes to Wireless SQ with all the popular models today, and I've heard them all. You just have to like the Beats tuning with it's mid bass, in your face sound. Beats is about fun, loud, exciting listening, not hearing the Cello player in the back of the Orchestra sneezing LOL. It's unique in it's sound signature and that's why I like it. Still trying to decide which one or two I'm going to give up out of my Crossfade II, Sennheiser HD1, Sony H.ear On 2, and Studio 3. I really do love all 4 of these sound signatures. I'm still in the return window on my Beats Studio 3, Crossfade II, and HD1. Decisions...
I'm not sure how much you got the Crossfade II or H.ear On 2 for, but each are on sale right now, the V-Moda for $249 and H.ear On 2 for $179 (Costco). You can always return one of those and re-purchase if you can't price adjust (Amazon) and return the Studio 3. Honestly, I got rid of my HD1 (Momentum Wireless at the time) for some other random consumer headphone, and I still regret it (I got the Momentum Wireless on sale for like $287 or something). Even though I find it to be a bit of a dark headphone, it's easily EQd, so I'd recommend holding on to the HD1, as you'll likely be in the mood for it at some point, be it simply to squish the ear cushions. :beyersmile:

I don't think the Studio 3 will go out of production any time soon, and coupled with the current prices for the other models, I wouldn't give up a "rare" or "uncommon" to hold onto a "common". Beats will always go on sale, and as mentioned above, they will get deeply discounted for the holidays.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #689 of 904
I'm not sure how much you got the Crossfade II or H.ear On 2 for, but each are on sale right now, the V-Moda for $249 and H.ear On 2 for $179 (Costco). You can always return one of those and re-purchase if you can't price adjust (Amazon) and return the Studio 3. Honestly, I got rid of my HD1 (Momentum Wireless at the time) for some other random consumer headphone, and I still regret it (I got the Momentum Wireless on sale for like $287 or something). Even though I find it to be a bit of a dark headphone, it's easily EQd, so I'd recommend holding on to the HD1, as you'll likely be in the mood for it at some point, be it simply to squish the ear cushions. :beyersmile:

I don't think the Studio 3 will go out of production any time soon, and coupled with the current prices for the other models, I wouldn't give up a "rare" or "uncommon" to hold onto a "common". Beats will always go on sale, and as mentioned above, they will get deeply discounted for the holidays.
I actually had the Matte Black Crossfade II Wireless and sold it because I wanted to Rose Gold. I was lucky, I sold it for $240 on Ebay right before the sale. Grabbed the Rose Gold off Amazon for $249. The H.ear On 2 I'm not in the return window unfortunately.

It's funny you say that about the Beats. I actually have been leaning toward that exact decision. The more I listen to the HD1 the more I'm loving them. They're not going any where. They just have such a musical sound. Almost as detailed as my Crossfade II, but has a much warmer, natural sound. The HD1 actually has better bass than the Crossfade II. It's deeper and punchier. I would classify the Crossfade II as the more balance headphone, especially when wired.

May 28, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #690 of 904
One of the things that have kept me owning the Studio 3 is I've always considered them the better commuter/traveling headphone, and the better gym headphone of the few I own because of it's overall features. W1/AAC support (I have all Apple Devices), decent noise cancelling, and comfort. The thing is, as of late, I tend to grab my BeatsX or Airpods when leaving now. The only time I grab headphones is when going out of town. Getting rid of the Studios would just provide my BeatsX more opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back