Beats Studio3
May 10, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #661 of 904
@Maukey, how do the Studio3 compare to the Crossfade 2 Wireless? On paper, the Crossfade 2 Wireless should have more bass and a cleaner sound. Do you still listen at about two notches above halfway? I tried turning the volume all the way up since that’s how people I know who own the Studio3 use it (irresponsible I know) and the sound/bass opened up but of course this is still quite loud even though it’s a wireless headphone so I toned it back down to about 10/16.

I don’t know why (maybe still coming down to fit or some needed burn-in), but I don’t feel the Studio3 has a lot of impactful, punchy bass. Bass is there and present, but I’m not blown away by the punch or definition. It may be the lack of sub-bass I’m still hearing.

Headphones are a hobby for me so I don’t mind spending some money/going through returns to constantly keep my collection fresh. Couldn’t get my mind off of the design of the Shadow Gray Studio3 and while the headphones themselves are improved I’m not sure I like them more than I liked say the M-100 or Solo3.
They're comparable. In wireless mode, it's a toss up for me. Wired mode, that's a different story. The Crossfade 2s kill pretty much all of my headphones when turning off the electronics and putting a wire in; that's how Val designed them, as wired headphones first. the Studio 3, QC35 II, 1000XM2, Solo 3, and B&W PX pretty much all sound the same when going from wireless to wired. Maybe slight improvements here or there. The Crossfade 2s are the only ones that truly take it up a notch. When comparing the Crossfade 2s to the Studio 3s in wireless mode, the Crossfade 2s definitely sound a bit clearer/cleaner, have a bigger soundstage, and get deeper. Sub Bass without question is more noticeable on the Crossfade 2s. The Studio 3s have the mid bass emphasis I like. Just a very punchy, exciting sound. They actually bring out details in certain sounds better. They get louder, and sound better than the Crossfade 2s at higher volumes. Beats to me have always been tuned to listen at higher volumes without causing fatigue or pain. I never listen to my Studio 3s below 11. I usually listen at 11 and I'll sometimes go to 12 if I'm really hyped LOL.

I think part of that Beats magic is the over-extension of the bass region, which sacrifices some clarity to pummel you over the head with the fundamentals of the melody.

Studio3 is a relatively tame headphone with about a 3dB bass boost, but in my mind the Beats sound is a 7-8dB emphasis from 20Hz ending at about 250Hz, or a few Hz higher than audiophiles would prefer. Though that house sound changes with every single headphone Beats releases.
The thing is, on paper the Studio 3s don't beat many headphones. If I ignore the measurements, close my eyes, and crank the volume, the Studio 3s just sound exciting to my ears. I just really enjoy the music and the "Beats" presentation of it. Drums, clicks, and any other sound that brings excitement really stand out coming through the Studio 3s. Most headphones I've tried I couldn't turn up past a certain point, they would either be painful, or muddy/garbled. The Beats line in general are about the only headphones I've tried that I could turn up to max, although I never do, and it remains tolerable. They are designed for a healthy volume. I don't prefer to listen to Beats at low volumes, I have other headphones that do that better. Just my take on it.

May 10, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #662 of 904
5A4D3025-C3AA-4051-9ACC-F92EDC1E6FC4.jpeg

Apparently, the headphone’s calibration varies the sound depending on fit pretty inconsistently. I do wear glasses and rtings found that for whatever reason the headphones tended to produce less bass when calibrating for glasses users. I’d be interested in reading more about how the calibration system works since I do think the headphones sound better with ANC/calibration enabled.

May 10, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #663 of 904
They're comparable. In wireless mode, it's a toss up for me. Wired mode, that's a different story. The Crossfade 2s kill pretty much all of my headphones when turning off the electronics and putting a wire in; that's how Val designed them, as wired headphones first. the Studio 3, QC35 II, 1000XM2, Solo 3, and B&W PX pretty much all sound the same when going from wireless to wired. Maybe slight improvements here or there. The Crossfade 2s are the only ones that truly take it up a notch. When comparing the Crossfade 2s to the Studio 3s in wireless mode, the Crossfade 2s definitely sound a bit clearer/cleaner, have a bigger soundstage, and get deeper. Sub Bass without question is more noticeable on the Crossfade 2s. The Studio 3s have the mid bass emphasis I like. Just a very punchy, exciting sound. They actually bring out details in certain sounds better. They get louder, and sound better than the Crossfade 2s at higher volumes. Beats to me have always been tuned to listen at higher volumes without causing fatigue or pain. I never listen to my Studio 3s below 11. I usually listen at 11 and I'll sometimes go to 12 if I'm really hyped LOL.

The thing is, on paper the Studio 3s don't beat many headphones. If I ignore the measurements, close my eyes, and crank the volume, the Studio 3s just sound exciting to my ears. I just really enjoy the music and the "Beats" presentation of it. Drums, clicks, and any other sound that brings excitement really stand out coming through the Studio 3s. Most headphones I've tried I couldn't turn up past a certain point, they would either be painful, or muddy/garbled. The Beats line in general are about the only headphones I've tried that I could turn up to max, although I never do, and it remains tolerable. They are designed for a healthy volume. I don't prefer to listen to Beats at low volumes, I have other headphones that do that better. Just my take on it.

That’s fair enough as that is Beats’ end goal. They’re sculpting the Studio line in an effort to create an energetic sound that maintains a respectable amount of detail. The cleaner mids brought in the new firmware update definitely makes a difference in achieving that goal.

I do find the Studio3 to be almost significantly better today than it was at launch. ANC performance in particular has become impressive and non-instrusive. The ability to listen at higher volumes without fatigue is one of the reasons I enjoy the Solo3 so much. That roll-off in the upper treble just makes louder listening that much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #664 of 904
That’s fair enough as that is Beats’ end goal. They’re sculpting the Studio line in an effort to create an energetic sound that maintains a respectable amount of detail. The cleaner mids brought in the new firmware update definitely makes a difference in achieving that goal.

I do find the Studio3 to be almost significantly better today than it was at launch. ANC performance in particular has become impressive and non-instrusive. The ability to listen at higher volumes without fatigue is one of the reasons I enjoy the Solo3 so much. That roll-off in the upper treble just makes louder listening that much more enjoyable.
Agreed

May 15, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #665 of 904
Got a chance to listen to the Studio3 again right now and man has Beats listened to the early feedback. They’ve improved upon almost every criticism I’ve had originally. I could see myself using the Studio3 more than the HD1, even if I admittedly have been using over-ear headphones less often than I’d like to. Still spoiled by AirPods, but Studio3 has had some manufacturing and firmware changes that really improve the total package. Now I could definitely recommend it to the right type of buyer who’s looking for a fairly exciting, decently balanced stylish ANC headphone. I like it better than the WH-1000XM2 I had briefly. Don’t get me wrong, it still fits in the ANC category but the sound/fit is very decent now.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #666 of 904
Got a chance to listen to the Studio3 again right now and man has Beats listened to the early feedback. They’ve improved upon almost every criticism I’ve had originally. I could see myself using the Studio3 more than the HD1, even if I admittedly have been using over-ear headphones less often than I’d like to. Still spoiled by AirPods, but Studio3 has had some manufacturing and firmware changes that really improve the total package. Now I could definitely recommend it to the right type of buyer who’s looking for a fairly exciting, decently balanced stylish ANC headphone. I like it better than the WH-1000XM2 I had briefly. Don’t get me wrong, it still fits in the ANC category but the sound/fit is very decent now.
I agree. My current headphone lineup is the Studio 3, B&W PX, and Crossfade 2 Wireless. I've at some point owned and tried all of the popular portable, bluetooth headphones including the QC35 II, the Momentum 2, the H.ear On 2, and the 1000XM2. The 3 I have are my favorites of them all.

May 15, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #667 of 904
I still think Solo3 has a better overall sound but the Studio3 has a mid-bass bump that can make certain genres fun and also has the pros/cons of being over-ear which makes the soundstage a bit more spacious. Oddly over a long period I think I find the Solo3 to be the more comfortable headphone. Still testing the Studio3 though. I will say they are both solid headphones. If the Solo3 is good enough for Tyll at InnerFidelity it’s good enough for me.

By the way, I would’ve been okay with Beats being lazy and copying the Solo3 FR for Studio3.

The Studio3 does seem to have a more mature, detailed sound when switching between them. A bit torn. Trying to get more details on what specifically was adjusted in the firmware update, since I preferred the Solo3 hands-down when I bought Studio3 at launch.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #668 of 904
I don’t know if it’s the fact that the Studio3 now fits my head with actual clamping force which means I get bass and isolation or if the firmware update brought a sub-bass bump and fixed the muddy mid-range but I’m enjoying Studio3 much more this time around. It’s actually now a toss-up between the Solo3 and Studio3.

May 15, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #669 of 904
I still think Solo3 has a better overall sound but the Studio3 has a mid-bass bump that can make certain genres fun and also has the pros/cons of being over-ear which makes the soundstage a bit more spacious. Oddly over a long period I think I find the Solo3 to be the more comfortable headphone. Still testing the Studio3 though. I will say they are both solid headphones. If the Solo3 is good enough for Tyll at InnerFidelity it’s good enough for me.

By the way, I would’ve been okay with Beats being lazy and copying the Solo3 FR for Studio3.

The Studio3 does seem to have a more mature, detailed sound when switching between them. A bit torn. Trying to get more details on what specifically was adjusted in the firmware update, since I preferred the Solo3 hands-down when I bought Studio3 at launch.
I auditioned the Solo 3 and Studio 3 extensively together. Because of you, Tyll, and Rtings, I purchased the Solo 3 again so that I could compare it to my Studio 3. While I like the Solo 3, to me the Studio 3 was more detailed, and just more exciting in general. The mid bass is slightly better on the Studio 3, while the sub bass is a little better on the Solo 3. In the end I just preferred the Studio's hotter treble. I won't lie, I almost went with the Solo 3 just for the simple fact that it has a longer battery life and it's On Ear and I would have preferred an On Ear to go with my other 2 Over Ear. I just enjoyed the Studio 3's sound more. I felt in the end I would've missed the Studio 3's sound. The Studio 3's are also more comfortable for me over longer listening sessions.

May 15, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #670 of 904
I don’t know if it’s the fact that the Studio3 now fits my head with actual clamping force which means I get bass and isolation or if the firmware update brought a sub-bass bump and fixed the muddy mid-range but I’m enjoying Studio3 much more this time around. It’s actually now a toss-up between the Solo3 and Studio3.
Like I said, for me, the Studio 3 is the more exciting headphone. Just sounds bigger and more dynamic. The Solo 3 is actually the more natural sounding of the two. But I already have a headphone, the B&W PX that's a monster when it comes to natural, spacious sound. Plus that Shadow Grey is soooo sexy LOL.

May 15, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #671 of 904
I auditioned the Solo 3 and Studio 3 extensively together. Because of you, Tyll, and Rtings, I purchased the Solo 3 again so that I could compare it to my Studio 3. While I like the Solo 3, to me the Studio 3 was more detailed, and just more exciting in general. The mid bass is slightly better on the Studio 3, while the sub bass is a little better on the Solo 3. In the end I just preferred the Studio's hotter treble. I won't lie, I almost went with the Solo 3 just for the simple fact that it has a longer battery life and it's On Ear and I would have preferred an On Ear to go with my other 2 Over Ear. I just enjoyed the Studio 3's sound more. I felt in the end I would've missed the Studio 3's sound. The Studio 3's are also more comfortable for me over longer listening sessions.

I don’t know what it is but I’m beginning to agree with you. My launch unit Studio3 was pretty mediocre in every way, but this model has solid bass impact and fairly clean mids. I’ve reached out to Rtings to see if they noticed a difference with the new firmware update. Technically all Beats has to do is push out a firmware update and they can change the entire sound signature overnight.

I applaud Beats because I genuinely think they listened to early feedback including my way-too-detailed review and made some adjustments.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #672 of 904
Like I said, for me, the Studio 3 is the more exciting headphone. Just sounds bigger and more dynamic. The Solo 3 is actually the more natural sounding of the two. But I already have a headphone, the B&W PX that's a monster when it comes to natural, spacious sound. Plus that Shadow Grey is soooo sexy LOL.

Yup, I know looks aren’t that important in headphones but Shadow Gray looks so sexy even next to my HD1 and matte black Solo3, which are both gorgeous-looking headphones. A bit cheap up close for the price but from a distance it’s stylish.

May 16, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #673 of 904
I also hold this theory. Apple will eventually kill Beats over the long-term. Their own over-ear Pod headphones will blow away Studio3.

I don't think so... maybe for more audio-focused types and the Apple faithful, but Beats has a very strong brand reputation with its target demo, and if anything, they'll just target them more aggressively and redirect different markets to the Apple-branded headphones.

May 16, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #674 of 904
Yup, I know looks aren’t that important in headphones but Shadow Gray looks so sexy even next to my HD1 and matte black Solo3, which are both gorgeous-looking headphones. A bit cheap up close for the price but from a distance it’s stylish.

Don't kid yourself, looks are very important for consumer-targeted brands and models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back