Beats Solo HD?
Nov 12, 2014 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jaykaying

New Head-Fier
Now I know these are one of the most overrated headphones out there but I saw a Black Friday Ad at Best Buy pricing them at a mere $80 so I thought these cans might be decent at that price range. I was wondering how well do they stack up compared to other headphones in the same price range (Looking at Sony Mdr 7506 and Audio Technica m50). And yes, I do think the fact that the HD's look better is worth something.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 29

Beats receive a lot of hate, for being overpriced and not sounding like a 300$+ headphone. I don't even think they have a 80$ worth sound. Beats aren't bad but their are much better alternatives that sound better for less money like the ATH-M50, JVC-S500 for less than 50$ and sound many times better. If your buying headphones based only on looks then you might as well go with whatever society tells you looks the best. :wink:

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 29
UE6000 are about the same price and sound great top 40, hip hop and EDM.  even cheaper yet, and probably better sounding are the ue4000.  my niece has solo hd's.  i'll have to give them another listen to compare

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 29
Good thread OP these Solo drenched in color are really tempting at the price. If we're looking for bass though are these not a good buy at all? How are they compared to the Sony XB500 bass wise? How about in comparison to the Sony MDRX05 or 10? How are the Solo's for rap music?

I have the Sony XB500's after them being recommended here some years back for bass and still love them. I'm looking for something new and fresh though. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 29
  Now I know these are one of the most overrated headphones out there but I saw a Black Friday Ad at Best Buy pricing them at a mere $80 so I thought these cans might be decent at that price range. I was wondering how well do they stack up compared to other headphones in the same price range (Looking at Sony Mdr 7506 and Audio Technica m50). And yes, I do think the fact that the HD's look better is worth something.

If you want something stylish and bass heavy check out the donscorpio dolphin and donscorpio drama

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 29
Good thread OP these Solo drenched in color are really tempting at the price. If we're looking for bass though are these not a good buy at all? How are they compared to the Sony XB500 bass wise? How about in comparison to the Sony MDRX05 or 10? How are the Solo's for rap music?

I have the Sony XB500's after them being recommended here some years back for bass and still love them. I'm looking for something new and fresh though. 

Basically the Solo HD suck for pretty much everything. Like, i always think when people call something muddy it is most of the time a huge exaggeration, but the Solo are indeed MUDDY with nothing but bass bloat and no bass or treble extension, its actually fairly impressive how they managed to make it so bad. Getting those after the XB500 would be a pretty big downgrade i think. If you absolutely must have beats, get the Solo 2, they do hip hop well. Depending on what kind of hip hop, the JVC HAS500 and good ole Porta Pro i like for rap in the affordable category. If you desire more swag, the Momentum On Ears and UE6000 are both going for good prices. And probably the best bet is the VModa M-80 going for good prices as well too. Any of those would be a noticeable upgrade to the XB500 as long as youre ok sacrificing some bass for better clarity across the spectrum. Never heard Rx05 or 10 so dont know how they compare.

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 29

Basically the Solo HD suck for pretty much everything. Like, i always think when people call something muddy it is most of the time a huge exaggeration, but the Solo are indeed MUDDY with nothing but bass bloat and no bass or treble extension, its actually fairly impressive how they managed to make it so bad. Getting those after the XB500 would be a pretty big downgrade i think. If you absolutely must have beats, get the Solo 2, they do hip hop well. Depending on what kind of hip hop, the JVC HAS500 and good ole Porta Pro i like for rap in the affordable category. If you desire more swag, the Momentum On Ears and UE6000 are both going for good prices. And probably the best bet is the VModa M-80 going for good prices as well too. Any of those would be a noticeable upgrade to the XB500 as long as youre ok sacrificing some bass for better clarity across the spectrum. Never heard Rx05 or 10 so dont know how they compare.

My favorite headphones of all time are the JVC HAS500, they aren't the prettiest but they do sound magnificent. The Momentum on ear escaped my reply but I think they look wonderful and sound as swagalishis. The XB500, XB1000 are pillows on your ears, not the best looking but they do sound better than the Solo 2. As for the UE6000 I personally don't like them one bit the "noise cancelling" ruins the sound quality IMO they don't even look that great either.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 29
Even though you like bass heavy headphones, I think is not a good bet to take beats headphone since the bass will be too much. Unless bass the only thing you can live with, it's better to take audio technica ATH-M50X or any other headphones that especially known for their sound.

As for the design, I don't think a good design will be a good reason if the sound is not good

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #14 of 29
  My favorite headphones of all time are the JVC HAS500, they aren't the prettiest but they do sound magnificent. The Momentum on ear escaped my reply but I think they look wonderful and sound as swagalishis. The XB500, XB1000 are pillows on your ears, not the best looking but they do sound better than the Solo 2. As for the UE6000 I personally don't like them one bit the "noise cancelling" ruins the sound quality IMO they don't even look that great either.

Have you actually tried the solo 2 or are you just basing it off of other reviews (or maybe just the bashing trend)?

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #15 of 29

If you want something stylish and bass heavy check out the donscorpio dolphin and donscorpio drama

Heres the link (if you're in the US)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donscorpio-Drama-Over-ear-Headset-Professional-HiFi-Music-Headphones-/121284244782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item61d8590f9b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donscorpio-Dolphin-Over-ear-Headset-Professional-HiFi-Music-Headphones-/291090098586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item896d5de162

Users who are viewing this thread

Back