Beats Solo HD
Nov 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

FacePalmMonkey

New Head-Fier
I have heard so many negative things about them on the internet. But when I ask owners, they usually have nice things to say about them. If you had disposable income, would you spend it on them? 

Does anyone over here own a pair? Do you dislike them? How was the experience?

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 20

Quote:
I have heard so many negative things about them on the internet. But when I ask owners, they usually have nice things to say about them. If you had disposable income, would you spend it on them? 

I spent sometime A/B'ing the Solo HD and the Skullcandy Aviators, they destroyed the Solo HD in terms of bass. The Solo HD also measures terribly. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MonsterBeatsSoloHD.pdf

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 20

Quote:

I used to own them just for kicks, 'cause my friend was selling them for $50.

Needless to say I hated them, but since you asked for its positive points, I'll try my best.

1) It's shiny
2) There's a reputation on them so you'll be assured street cred
3) Pretty okay isolation
4) It's shiny
5) Uhhh... it's... glossy.

I can't really comment on the good things about its sound, because I would even rather listen to my iBuds (when worn properly as in this guide: proper seal on iBuds). Really. The bass lacks so much detail that I felt like my ears were being plugged up by mud, mids were distant to the point of being hollow and treble lacks any sparkle or fizz that makes it any more enjoyable. Although, they do sound better than the not-properly-worn iBuds, which is why so many people would pay premium for it and its By Dr. Dre "assurance". I believe even Tyll thought the iBuds were better.

Nope, I would never buy it even if I had the money.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 20
eughhh.It makes me cringe. I actually had to take them off halfway through listening to a song. The people that own them are usually a little bit misinformed, hyped up on the false advertising and truly and honestly believing that they, indeed, have the best headphones in the world.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 20
Don't even think about it. I had the RED version but ... Ok nice color, very light and portable. But not really good sounding and not worth the price. It may cause discomfort because the cups are circules not oval like Studios. 
Los I guess it's up to you but I won't throw my money on it if I had a lot of cash to spend.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:

But people have a tendency to justify their purchases. So as long someone bought and continues to own a pair of Beats, aren't they likely to say good things about the headphone? I really wouldn't put much weight on their opinions in this case.

And no, I absolutely would not spend money on the Beats Solo HD, or any other Beats product for that matter.

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 20
I fell for the hype and design, and am now really really disappointed pointed in it, I mean, I could even get a Grado for that price!

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 20
I share your pain bro
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I fell for the hype and design, and am now really really disappointed pointed in it, I mean, I could even get a Grado for that price!

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 20
Innerfidelity's video review sums it up excellently- aesthetics are excellent, sound quality is dire. The reason post people who have them rave about them is because the latter is not their priority, my flatmate uses his with god-awful youtube rips and thinks the sound quality is unparalleled, a trend I've found most Beats owners follow.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 20
I own a pair, and yes, they definetly are not worth the $180 i spent. The sound is not as good as people say or as bad as people say. i used to be one of those "beats haters". now, not as much. The bad: not worth it at all, worth like $100 at most. The sound does get much better with burn in though. When i first opened them, they only sounded ok, now just 2 weeks later, or about 14 hours of listening, they sound much better. The good: amazing isolation. They leak some sound at like 50% volume, but you cannot hear anything also. Someone was yelling at me from 8 feet away and i couldnt hear them. Also, they're pretty comfortable. If you wear glasses though, not as much. you can move your glasses above your ear more and it gets better. Really, its up to you. If you dont care as much for money, go buy them, if you do, its kinda hard to find the same type of headphone that is as comfortable elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Innerfidelity's video review sums it up excellently- aesthetics are excellent, sound quality is dire. The reason post people who have them rave about them is because the latter is not their priority, my flatmate uses his with god-awful youtube rips and thinks the sound quality is unparalleled, a trend I've found most Beats owners follow.

Oh my god this made my day so hard.

Thank you for that, Gofre.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
I listened to the Beats Solo HD.

*insert Rage Guy's face here*

'Nuff said.

I had the exact same response. Horrible, horrible sounding headphones. And I don't understand why people think they look good, but then I think that Senns look good so what do I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back