Beats Solo HD
May 21, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #16 of 20
I own a pair, and yes, they definetly are not worth the $180 i spent. The sound is not as good as people say or as bad as people say. i used to be one of those "beats haters". now, not as much. The bad: not worth it at all, worth like $100 at most. The sound does get much better with burn in though. When i first opened them, they only sounded ok, now just 2 weeks later, or about 14 hours of listening, they sound much better. The good: amazing isolation. They leak some sound at like 50% volume, but you cannot hear anything also. Someone was yelling at me from 8 feet away and i couldnt hear them. Also, they're pretty comfortable. If you wear glasses though, not as much. you can move your glasses above your ear more and it gets better. Really, its up to you. If you dont care as much for money, go buy them, if you do, its kinda hard to find the same type of headphone that is as comfortable elsewhere. Hope this helps.
Screw myself, I wasn't thinking two months ago. The beats are terrible headphones. They kill your ears after just one hour of listening. I have a pair of Shure srh440s (hence my profile pic), and they sound far better than the solo hd. Yes, they actually sound better, not just different. The 440s have a much larger soundstage and also sound much more balanced and natural. For that price rang ($160-$180), the Shure srh840 would be a much better choice.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 20
Personally I think they do have their merits, just none of them are of any interest to the audiophile hobby.  They're tough, they look good (subjective of course, but they are accepted pop culture fashion fwiw), and they do give you thundering bass, nevermind the quality or lack thereof.  All of those things for me, come together to make a great workout headphone.  If I'm running and lifting I don't really notice or care that the sq is pretty bad, I just like the pounding beat.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #20 of 20
  Personally I think they do have their merits, just none of them are of any interest to the audiophile hobby.  They're tough, they look good (subjective of course, but they are accepted pop culture fashion fwiw), and they do give you thundering bass, nevermind the quality or lack thereof.  All of those things for me, come together to make a great workout headphone.  If I'm running and lifting I don't really notice or care that the sq is pretty bad, I just like the pounding beat.

I have Audio Technica M50's which are my go to headphone. I use my sons Beats Solo HD when they are laying around and I do see the attraction. Comfortable, light, V shaped sound. I quite enjoyed listening to Apple Music with them. I have heard worse headphones for sure. The cost is why people bash them and how they are regarded, but they for sure serve their purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back