Beats headphone teardown
Jun 27, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #16 of 31
  Haha yes. But the ATH-M50x craze is still here. I don't like the sonic signature of the M50x. Too much emphasized treble and weird dips and humps I was able to hear in the bass.

I was a head-fi noob and followed the "just get a M50x" advice.

Build quality was good and bass were smooth but sound signature always felt strange. Then a friend made me listen to his cheapo HD668b and I was shocked how un-natural the M50x is. I sold mine the next day.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 31
I don't understand the M50x craze. I don't see what people are liking about the headphone. The Superlux HD 668b is a headphone I really want to buy. I've read reviews and most of them said neutral but shrilling treble and requires long burn in, to smooth out the treble. I don't mind burn-in.

And about fashion headphones, I own the House of Marley Positive Vibration. They looks gorgeous for it's price and I paid £20 for it, and the sound quality was warm and pleasant sounding, while being quite detailed. I'm stunned how a fashion can could sound quite balanced and warm while having really nice aesthetics.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 31
The M50X is a fantastic way to get introduced to an exciting, upbeat sound.  However, apart from that, it doesn't sound all that great.  Artificial and at times tinny, it becomes tiring to listening to quite quickly.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #19 of 31
The Philips SHP2000 was the headphone that introduced me to the headphone world. It had great deep bass, relaxed mids and great but sometimes peaky highs. I loved them and they always stayed on the top until I bought the sennheiser HD 202. They're now joint first in my headphone list.

If I really want an exciting and upbeat headphone, the House of Marley Positive vibrations has me covered for now. They're second place. I do have to admit that I like what House of Marley does.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #24 of 31
That looks like the same teardown that made the rounds a while ago- Just as a counterpoint there were some good arguments including suspicion that the pair disassembled were likely fakes (thread on reddit somewhere discussing further):
  1. http://imgur.com/a/TWH4Z
  2. LachlanLikesAThing made some good broader criticisms of the teardown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-CkZ71iz68

Quote:
  It still sounds better than the M70, which I really do not get.  M70x sounds like an M50 with the bottom end abruptly cut off.

I thought m70x actually had really nice deeply extended bass- combined with the bass boost on my amp I liked to use for techno and such.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #25 of 31
  That looks like the same teardown that made the rounds a while ago- Just as a counterpoint there were some good arguments including suspicion that the pair disassembled were likely fakes (thread on reddit somewhere discussing further):
  1. http://imgur.com/a/TWH4Z
  2. LachlanLikesAThing made some good broader criticisms of the teardown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-CkZ71iz68

I thought m70x actually had really nice deeply extended bass- combined with the bass boost on my amp I liked to use for techno and such.

I see, well I think for techno the M50X does well.  Perhaps it's just me.  But if it works, more power to you!

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #26 of 31
  I see, well I think for techno the M50X does well.  Perhaps it's just me.  But if it works, more power to you!

Well I did end up selling them
tongue.gif
Ultimately realized details just a little too much (artificial?) for my casual shuffle all-around genre listening - like someone else mentioned, probably better for studio heads.

Have enjoyed the m50x and MSR7 in demos- wouldn't mind owning an MSR7 if I had the extra space/time- not to mention they've occasionaly been on sale for less than a pair of Beats
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #27 of 31
I know this is totally out of context but I recently brought the House of Marley Revolution and I can't stand the clamping force. My ears become numb after 2 minutes. I'm giving the back same day.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #30 of 31
Well I did end up selling them :p Ultimately realized details just a little too much (artificial?) for my casual shuffle all-around genre listening - like someone else mentioned, probably better for studio heads.

Have enjoyed the m50x and MSR7 in demos- wouldn't mind owning an MSR7 if I had the extra space/time- not to mention they've occasionaly been on sale for less than a pair of Beats :tongue_smile:

Well, the MSR7 is one of the best headphones from Audio Technica. They look nice and they sound neutral and analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back