Beats hate because of race?
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 24
Mar 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
Changing your speech and inflections as an adult is the same thing as learning another (fairly simple) language. It's difficult, sure, but can certainly be done. Most people never find the need to speak more clearly in common social interactions, but I personally would be ashamed and change it for myself.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.  Speech patterns are a bit more ingrained, and yes while learning a new language is difficult, for many the process of changing these patterns is more difficult.  People generally don't consciously pay attention to their normal speech patterns, especially given they are typically a learned behavior from family and environment.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #22 of 24
I have personal experience in speech therapy/pathology and secondary language support, so I'm going to have to remain fast on my original point. The same areas of your brain are used as in learning a new dialect, accent, or language -- anything is possible if you work on it.

If you still doubt me, think on people who can do multiple impressions or impersonations of others, usually famous people, with ease. It is not some natural talent, but born out of practice and the ubiquity of that voice to that impersonator. Speech therapy works in much the same way, and effectively and painlessly if stuck with. You'll always have the original "unpolished" accent in your mental vocabulary, but you can always choose to use a "more polished" one in any situation where you feel an unpolished one won't be useful or understood.

Quote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.  Speech patterns are a bit more ingrained, and yes while learning a new language is difficult, for many the process of changing these patterns is more difficult.  People generally don't consciously pay attention to their normal speech patterns, especially given they are typically a learned behavior from family and environment.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #23 of 24
Yeah...hes kinda ignorant....Im black and HATE when people generalize like this dude....sickening... he did say that it didnt really matter in the end though... and rrecommended he m50's....good good....Id still use monoprices over beats ANYDAY....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back