Beats Executive... Another disappointment
Jan 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #121 of 167
  The damn hiss of the NC circuitry just killed them for me. I've owned several NC headphones and in this regard, these were the worst...just unacceptable IMO. They are very well constructed and don't sound half bad...just that constant hiss. 

Noise Canceling isn't that contradiction in term? Never use it. With that switched off, the Execs are pretty good.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #122 of 167

Noise Canceling isn't that contradiction in term? Never use it. With that switched off, the Execs are pretty good.

You can't switch it off though. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #123 of 167
I have yet to hear the Pros, but the executive, while being built beautifully, didn't do it for me sound wise. The 2013 Studios sound best of the beats line, to me. If you put the sound engines of the studios in the executives build and charged $300, I'd probably buy some.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #124 of 167
  Note that the Executives are Beats' best. That's good enough for a pair of Beats. They aren't comparable to other NC headphones.

Actually they're not the best Beats....the new 2013 Studios are better in every way (sonically and with regards to NC circuitry) IME. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #125 of 167
  You can't switch it off though. 

I think that was his point. 
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #127 of 167
I have yet to hear the Pros, but the executive, while being built beautifully, didn't do it for me sound wise. The 2013 Studios sound best of the beats line, to me. If you put the sound engines of the studios in the executives build and charged $300, I'd probably buy some.

http://www.beatsbydre.com/headphones/studio/titanium/900-00188-01.html

Still plastic tho.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #128 of 167
Yes, also my point. The Executives have a robust aluminum build without being too bulky. You can always bypass the circuit by rewiring the circuit, effectively making it a passive headphone. My Executives were rewired this way, and they sound reasonably good, because it no longer had the hissy NC and bass boost.

I also prefer the Executive's leatherette headband cushion over the silicone one of the 2013 Studios. The silicone type ones sometimes feels sticky and sticks to your hair a bit.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #129 of 167
Saw these in BB today and decided to have a listen (I wasn't shopping for headphones, but it was hard to resist!).  I'm pretty sure these are the first Beats I've ever listened to.  I only spent about 5 (extremely enjoyable) minutes with these and I was thoroughly impressed!  The build quality seemed excellent.  They are very elegant and masculine looking at the same time.  They were VERY comfortable (albeit for 5 mins). I found the sound to be excellent!  The sound was so powerful, with very tight bass, not a hint of boominess.  The mids and highs were well represented, and to my ears the output was very pleasantly balanced. I'm thinking that these display cans are probably hooked up to an amplifier since I doubt a phone or mp3 player could put out such powerful sound.  Perhaps they wouldn't be so impressive with my ZuneHD or LG Motion phone, but for about 5 mins I was a believer! 

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #130 of 167
Say what you will, the Execs is Beats' best. It's truly the most decent thing they ever done. The design, build quality & SQ are all pretty damn good. None of that Sony-like boosted-bass that plagues their other models. It sounds good plugged into an iPod or iPhone. 

No

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #131 of 167
  Saw these in BB today and decided to have a listen (I wasn't shopping for headphones, but it was hard to resist!).  I'm pretty sure these are the first Beats I've ever listened to.  I only spent about 5 (extremely enjoyable) minutes with these and I was thoroughly impressed!  The build quality seemed excellent.  They are very elegant and masculine looking at the same time.  They were VERY comfortable (albeit for 5 mins). I found the sound to be excellent!  The sound was so powerful, with very tight bass, not a hint of boominess.  The mids and highs were well represented, and to my ears the output was very pleasantly balanced. I'm thinking that these display cans are probably hooked up to an amplifier since I doubt a phone or mp3 player could put out such powerful sound.  Perhaps they wouldn't be so impressive with my ZuneHD or LG Motion phone, but for about 5 mins I was a believer! 

The Executives actually have an amp built in! It is in the right earcup, powered by 2 x AAA batteries in the left earcup.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #133 of 167
  Are they the only ones?

Only the Studio and Executive lines have a built in ANC amp. I'm not sure if the wireless count though. The circuit in those might also interfere with the balance tuning.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #135 of 167
  Thanks for the info, I didn't know that!  I guess the Exec's ARE impressive...perhaps I'll go back to listen longer than 5 minutes :wink:

Although they do sound rather bassy and "detailed", I must say that they blow all the other headphones out of the water in terms of build quality and how they sound. Yes, it's not accurate and not audiophile grade, but I kinda like it! People will know how much money you've spent on them. I bought the Sony MDR-1R back when it was the same price as Beats, and when my mom asked how much I got them for and I said $299, she said:

"They don't look that expensive. You should've gotten a pair of Bose headphones!"

Looks are everything to a consumer that knows nothing, and even if they've never heard it for themselves, the brand image will tell them how good they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back