Beats Dr Dre are good headphones. I have my own reasons.
Feb 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #17 of 37
Wow guys.

I mean really, 2 posts and one is this?

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Timbre. A violin on say a Sony SA5000 sounds more like a real violin than a violin rendered through Beats. The idea that "what the artist originally intended" is tripe; what the artist intended and what the recording engineer intended are different things. Not to mention microphones themselves are colored so the only way to get completely true-to-life sound is to hear the artist for one's self. The point of buying nice gear is to get closer to the idea of what one thinks what something should sound like. If you think Beats sound like what you want stuff to sound like, awesome; you don't have to spend silly amounts of money on nice headphones. I used to be like that until I realized that my Blackberry earbuds just didn't sound like what I wanted music to sound like. They just didn't render a saxophone, an instrument that I'd played for years, like, well, a saxophone.

Not to further feed what is potentially a troll thread, but +1!!! This point gets overlooked a lot around here... Microphones/preamps/effects-chains/etc. are all colored and bound to diminish the 'natural'-ness/realism of the performance in the recording, and audio engineers often make things intentionally even less realistic (auto-tune anyone?). Throw in the variability of how they perceived the sound as coming from their monitors/studio-setup and adjusted for it when mixing/mastering, and you got way too much distance between yourself (the end listener) and the original performance to ever really be able to retrieve how it actually sounded like originally, with headphones.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 37
Not gonna lie; I've been quite tempted to buy a pair of refurbed Pros. For some reason, I love how they sound, in the same way that I like the B&W P5's sound. Obviously there are some glaring faults that explain why I don't have a pair of either, but for just flat-out relaxing, they're not that bad. It's one of the beauties of headphones created for the mass market; expectation bias actually helps with the enjoyment. I expect to abhor the P5 or the Pro so I'm pleasantly surprised when they don't set my ears on fire. Whereas when I had the HE500 on loan, I expected gloriousness abound, but I was disappointed with the slight upper midrange hollowness and lack of transparency to the nth power and convinced myself to not buy a pair because for $700, I want to be completely satisfied. (Granted, this was amped through the speaker outputs of my HK430, but I highly doubt that something that bothersome would be fixed with an amp within reasonable range)

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #25 of 37
Beats are a fashion accessory for kids ! Seriously.. if you want to impress people (if that's what you're set for) then go for UE8 Swarovski edition.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:
I'm not sure either, he said M50 and HD 800 are ugly so I'm thinking he is..

Well, they're not exactly attractive. The HD800 has always looked like a flattened SA5000 to me.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #29 of 37
Probably not. I only replied so other people can read this thread for future reference. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:
Probably not. I only replied so other people can read this thread for future reference. 

would also like to agree with this comment.

troll or not troll, we have our own opinions anyways so it wouldn't be a big deal. In the end, if you're not really satisfied then let it be.
#feedingtroll=/=benefit's

I must admit the beats look nice, and they have great colour variations; however, as a "youngin" who took his part in the beats phase, it was always the muddled bass. If people like banging their beats because they love how they're bloated, then thats the signature they want.

i only realized how nice the upper headphones were.
i started with:
Sony in-ear buds that costed like 20 dollars
then a long phase of beats headphones
now i've improved and own/owned HD650's Q701's M100's XB1000's + a few others with schiit /fiio dac/amp set ups.

i've come a long way from the beats phase, but do i regret? nope! They helped me improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back