Beats Dr Dre are good headphones. I have my own reasons.
Feb 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

mostTop

New Head-Fier
I just don't get it why some ask me the reason i bought Beats, some say i should have bought Sennheiser, ATH and other brands.

The first reason is the looks. All those headphones that are called as being superior sounding are ugly. Just look at sennheiser HD25, it is very ugly, ATH-M50, ugly as well. Even the most expensive headphones aren't good looking, the sennheiser HD-800 looks like something from robocop. But beats on the other hands is nice looking, i reckon that it will in some years look out of fashion and i will need to buy another one. But for the time being, it fits nicely my neck.

And also i like the way it sounds. How do some can claim as universal truth that X or Y headphone sounds better? What if John Lennon had recorded his songs using a Beats Studio? Wouldn't then the Beats Studio delivering what the artist originaly intended to deliver? Also how can anyone be so sure that everybody hears in the same way? So measurements only aren't proof for anything.

I listened to an AKG k701 and i didn't like how it sounded. Simple as that, i thought beats sounded better.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 37
If you like your beats than it shouldn't matter what other people think.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:
I just don't get it why some ask me the reason i bought Beats, some say i should have bought Sennheiser, ATH and other brands.

The first reason is the looks. All those headphones that are called as being superior sounding are ugly. Just look at sennheiser HD25, it is very ugly, ATH-M50, ugly as well. Even the most expensive headphones aren't good looking, the sennheiser HD-800 looks like something from robocop. But beats on the other hands is nice looking, i reckon that it will in some years look out of fashion and i will need to buy another one. But for the time being, it fits nicely my neck.

And also i like the way it sounds. How do some can claim as universal truth that X or Y headphone sounds better? What if John Lennon had recorded his songs using a Beats Studio? Wouldn't then the Beats Studio delivering what the artist originaly intended to deliver? Also how can anyone be so sure that everybody hears in the same way? So measurements only aren't proof for anything.

I listened to an AKG k701 and i didn't like how it sounded. Simple as that, i thought beats sounded better.

Sir, I am charging you with a HUI - Head-fing under the influence.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 37
The problem with Beats headphones extends far beyond the balance of the sound being off. If you like that kind of sound signature and want your midbass boosted, that's your preference. But you'll still have a headphone that comes up short in speed, detail, sound pressure, soundstage etc. You can only take the personal preference argument so far; no one really wants a headphone that can't resolve details well. Plus, they're flimsy. Also, from a value standpoint, would you rather pay for high quality components or for advertising and royalties on the name of a rapper who doesn't know a thing about headphones?

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Timbre. A violin on say a Sony SA5000 sounds more like a real violin than a violin rendered through Beats. The idea that "what the artist originally intended" is tripe; what the artist intended and what the recording engineer intended are different things. Not to mention microphones themselves are colored so the only way to get completely true-to-life sound is to hear the artist for one's self. The point of buying nice gear is to get closer to the idea of what one thinks what something should sound like. If you think Beats sound like what you want stuff to sound like, awesome; you don't have to spend silly amounts of money on nice headphones. I used to be like that until I realized that my Blackberry earbuds just didn't sound like what I wanted music to sound like. They just didn't render a saxophone, an instrument that I'd played for years, like, well, a saxophone.

Also, well...yeah anyone that likes Beats would hate a K701; they have completely different sounds. It's like comparing a Ducati 1199 Panigale to a Porsche 911. Well maybe more accurately, the most expensive thing at McDonalds to the most expensive thing at Applebee's (maybe that's a bit harsh to the K701). The K701 is a neutralish, analytical, kind of sterile headphone. The Beats are essentially the opposite of that, except I felt even the K701 was more involving. It's absolutely no surprise that you think the Beats sound better because you're used to the Beats sound and have created a schema in which Beats are what sound right.

Oh, and headphones in general look silly on people. Beats look...passable until they're on a person's head. Then they look as silly as anything else.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

1. We dislike beats not necessarily because they are bad-sounding (there are far worse headphones out there) but because they are overpriced. Congrats on spending $300!

2. Sound and functionality first, style/fashion second.

3. I hear this argument all the time. "Sound is subjective, so it's impossible to claim one headphone is better than the other."

Wrong. Headphones are tools for hearing music, and thus there are objective ways to measure/compare them. I'm no good at headphone mechanics and sound science in general, but even I know that much. For instance, the Beats Studio's are infamous for their mid-bass hump but poor bass extension. If you had another pair of Beats - with exact same looks/sound except that it actually extended all the way down to, say, Tesla level, you could objectively say that the second pair with deeper bass is the superior headphone.

A better way to compare would be to classify them into genres. You have no idea how dumb it is to compare the K701 to Beats. Instead, compare it with other cans with similar characteristics intended for specific genres. If you do, you will come to realize that they barely hold up in the genres they were intended for. Quoting ljokerl:

Quote:
I often hear people say that the Beats are ‘only good for certain genres’ but that approach makes little sense – the honest thing to say would be that the Beats are good enough for certain genres – namely those that don’t feature multiple simultaneous sonic cues.

We get people like you all the time here. I understand that if you've spent a lot of money on a product you don't like it when others tear it apart. But going through all the hassle of registering and making an account here just to claim you like it... I don't see the point. You haven't told us anything we don't know already. We already know the vast majority of people like Beats. If you like it, then who cares what other people say?

Have a nice day.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 37
If you want to blow 300 on a fashion accessory, be my guest. Last I checked, headphones provide one objective - to accurately reproduce music. Someday when you get older you will realize that what's fashionable now won't be in 5 years...so what the hell is the point of trying so hard to impress other people with a pair of headphones? Not to pidgeonhole you, but from my life the people who try the most to be hip usually have pretty empty lives...in the end its an inanimate object that was made in some factory. People here who hate on beats do so because most of the people who come in here saying they like them are mostly for looks...and in the end that's the last thing you should be looking for in a pair of headphones.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 37
Beats are a fashion accessory, and the do that job well. People will know you are a rich gangsta rapper. If that is what you are going for, do it!

Beats is not about sound quality. That is just stated on the package. They sound cheap with a lot of bass. Again, that can be fun. I love crazy bass in a car at times. When I was young, two 4 inch unamped speakers in the front and 2 15 inch jbls in the back was sonic bliss.

The beats are good, if you want to look cool in the eyes of people that need to be cool. You are young, it is normal to do these things. Do't worry, one day you will be like What doh lol omg they where right.

Enjoy the trip till that point. yolo.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 37
Sure the Beats are overpriced. How many people here plug so and so headphones to their iPhone or iPod or some overpriced amp? I'm starting to see a pattern here. I bet if Beats got Clapton's signature instead of Dre's most of you would say "well, you know...these aren't too bad. I kinda like them if they fixed the brittle plastic headband." I'd explode ribs from laughter if Senns decided to have some scary looking rapper's sig on one of their upcoming headphones that sounds really, really good. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:
Sure the Beats are overpriced. How many people here plug so and so headphones to their iPhone or iPod or some overpriced amp? I'm starting to see a pattern here. I bet if Beats got Clapton's signature instead of Dre's most of you would say "well, you know...these aren't too bad. I kinda like them if they fixed the brittle plastic headband." I'd explode ribs from laughter if Senns decided to have some scary looking rapper's sig on one of their upcoming headphones that sounds really, really good. 

until then can we still trash talk beats?

A$AP Rocky Pros - Sennheiser 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back