Beats by Dre and Bose
Feb 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cyberidd

1000+ Head-Fier
I, like many other Head-fiers have encountered confusion from friends and family who know of my headphone hobby.  When people find out that I have purchased a $250 headphone, the reaction is often a mixture of confusion (for having purchased something as silly as a headphone for that money), and amusement (for the same reason), and yet I see many people walking around wearing $300+ Beats by Dre, or $200 Bose headphones, and the reaction to those is invariably admiration. 

Why is it considered normal to buy Dre's 'phones, but not higher quality ones? 

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Because the cool kids downtown only rock Beats. Many consumers, as much as we often hate to admit, are very susceptible to advertising. (We've all fallen for it at some point) There's a reason why companies spend millions (billions?) on it, because it works damn well. Celebrity endorsements in particular, as in the case of the Dre phones. I wore mid-end grados as a teen and my acquaintances dubbed me the fool. But the same people purchased new Beats at the behest of a producer who's obviously no longer straight out of Compton, a woman who wears the skin of dead muppets, and an androgynous tween. I do understand that many buy them and things like them for fashion, social status, and all that, but I have to question anyone who's willing to shell buttloads of money to prove to the world how shallow they are. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Beats and SC are the new gold chains. I say that because I rarely ever see anyone actually listening to them...the headphones are always around their neck. I am convinced most are not even carrying a DAP...the headphones are merely fashion accessories.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 6
Like Kirosia said, it's marketing. People are sheep. Tell them what to do and appear to be reasonably credible, and they'll do it without question. This sadly even goes for desire. Tell people what they want, and (since many people can't figure out what the hell they want, anyway), they'll adopt what you tell them. Then offer them the very thing you just told them they want, and they'll buy it in droves. Why are Bose and Beats and Skullcandy considered fashionable? Well, in aesthetics there are certain objective quantities (proportion, color palate, etc), but in the case of the above, it's merely because somebody told us that they were. And, usually, that somebody is the maker (imagine that!).

Audiophiles really aren't any different as a whole. Tell them a cable will make worlds of difference and some of them will pay four figures. Tell them a bag of pebbles or the Tice Clock will improve their rig, and a few (thankfully not very many) will bite. I like to think audiophiles still carry a certain sophistication in determining what makes for good sound, but that doesn't mean they're infallible. It comes down to the individual. I personally resent marketing and thus am extremely sensitive to marketing attempts. I was also once a psychology major so I'm somewhat aware of the underlying processes that go into marketing. Advertising uses a lot of the research in social psychology conducted in the last century, though of course many of the principles were known long before science categorized them.

But the basic gist is just what I said: tell people what they want, then offer it to them. Works every time. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back