Beats by Dre alternatives...
Apr 16, 2010 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Mysta Rave

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know I'll get flamed for this but I really like the way the Beats by Dre headphones sound, but I also realize they're overpriced, overmarketed, and definitely low quality judging by the cheap plastic feel. I own Denon D1001 headphones, which I got a year and a half ago after recommendations from this forum and I like them a lot, but I feel the Beats headphones sound a lot better. The Denons are also uncomfortable when I wear them for over 45 min, my ears get excruciatingly sore...although they do have a great reputation for comfort, this has definitely NOT been the case for me (for extended use).

In an attempt to not get the beats, I went out and purchased Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohm) and while they did sound good, I found that I liked the sound of the beats more. The Beyerdynamics are very accurate, however, I felt like the beats just have a more lively and powerful feel to the music. Maybe this is because I didn't run the Beyerdynamics though a sufficient amp (I tested with an E5 and through the headphone output of my shelf audio system). I subsequently returned them and I need to fill the void
darthsmile.gif

I'm not a picky audiophile and I dont care much for analyzing minute details. I dont need the headphones to be extremely accurate, I just want them to sound good with my mp3 player. What are some good recommendations for beats-like headphones that are actually worth their value in quality? (Price range= $200-300 total, including amp if necessary)

Sorry for the long post, hope some of you can help me.

Thanks =)

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 67
if you could add $100 maybe beats spin would suit your taste as you said you liked the sound of the studios. The studios arent really bad at all but you could get a lot more quality for the price you pay

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you could add $100 maybe beats spin would suit your taste as you said you liked the sound of the studios. The studios arent really bad at all but you could get a lot more quality for the price you pay

Have you ever tried them? If so, do they feel solid? Do they need to be amped?

Edit: Oh wait I just realized they're not out yet
redface.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 67
Ultrasone HFI-780 I'd look into. Or a Ultrasone PROline 550.
Both are full-size headphones thus the cable will be long, so maybe investigate something like the Sennheiser HD-25II as well.

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone HFI-780 I'd look into. Or a Ultrasone PROline 550.
Both are full-size headphones thus the cable will be long, so maybe investigate something like the Sennheiser HD-25II as well.

I second the suggestion for 780s. Don't they come with a shorter cable and a full-sized extension now anyways?

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the Sony MDR-XB500/MDR-XB700 at BestBuy.

Tried them, and returned them in 3 days. They're TERRIBLE. Not only did my ears sweat like crazy but they sound muddy and have completely uncontrolled crappy bass.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*** just get the beats. you seem like you really want them

Haha I would if they didn't have so many reviews about the headband snapping.

I also live in Brooklyn =)

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysta Rave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried them, and returned them in 3 days. They're TERRIBLE. Not only did my ears sweat like crazy but they sound muddy and have completely uncontrolled crappy bass.

I tried them right after listening to the Beats and thought that the ho-hum Sony's bettered the Beats in pretty much every regard.

Just goes to show you that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I think the problem that you’re having is that there is something very particular about the Beat's sound that you enjoy. Since I gather that most folks here (myself included) think the Beats are overpriced trash, it's really hard to recommend you anything.

Perhaps you should read this thread and then you'll be able to better describe the sound that you are seeking.

e3211dec.gif
I've got to admit that after reading all of your posts my troll detectors are on full alert. Sorry, I've heard the Beats and what you describe seems almost too bizarre to be true.

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried them right after listening to the Beats and thought that the ho-hum Sony's bettered the Beats in pretty much every regard.

Just goes to show you that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I think the problem that you’re having is that there is something very particular about the Beat's sound that you enjoy. Since I gather that most folks here (myself included) think the Beats are overpriced trash, it's really hard to recommend you anything.

Perhaps you should read this thread and then you'll be able to better describe the sound that you are seeking.

e3211dec.gif
I've got to admit that after reading all of your posts my troll detectors are on full alert. Sorry, I've heard the Beats and what you describe seems almost too bizarre to be true.

Clearly I'm a troll, I signed up in 2008, purchased Denon D1001s after posting on threads you can clearly see through my history, and then figured I would come back and troll almost 2 yrs later. Makes perfect sense!

I did try the 500s, not the 700s...not sure what you tried. You're free to not post on my thread if you feel that i'm "trolling" for whatever reason. I feel that my question is legitimate. If the beats had a normal quality headband, I would without a doubt buy them. You figure the beats are trash same way I figured the Sonys are trash. I'm sure a lot more people would agree that the Beats blow the $70 Sony earmuffs out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back