Beats by Dr. Dre Pro From Monster worth £115/$179 refurbished?
Dec 8, 2011 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Totally Dubbed

aka 1337 Gamer
aka totallydubbed2
aka TotallydubbedHD
Hey guys,

UPDATE - please check end of thread :)

First off I'm in the UK and not in the US, however have my auntie in the US who can buy me some monster Headphones/earphones.

My question here for you today, is are the Beats PRO worth £115 / $179 refurbished or not?
If not = why.

I went into HMV today (like bestbuy etc.) and tried the Denon D2000's - I was impressed with the bass response and it did get me listening to them for a good 5-10mins, however I wasn't really impressed with them to the point that I would see myself spending around £200 for them (on amazon or at HMV)

My headphones I have, are ONLY for indoors, and I use them when I game at night etc.
The ones I have are the Sony MDR-XB700's (as you can see I love bass)

I bought them fro £70 2 years ago, and they are still worth in my eyes over that price.
I haven't come across many headphones to hit hard in the bass, be VERY comfortable, and have a good sound stage. They again I'm not the best man to ask about headphones, but when you ask me about earphones, that's a whole different story.

So here is my question to you audiophiles, especially you headphone junkies.

What headphones would you recommend for UNDER and i'm stressing this, £200. Nothing above, and something that would feel as a very worthy upgrade to my £70, now £60 Sony MDR-XB700's.
I will ONLY be using the headphones in-doors, and thus do not care about portability.
I want something with a 3.5mm jack and that drives bass quite down low.

Saying that, even the Beats pro couldn't touch my TFTA 1XB's...lol

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 38
if u are only using it indoors, don't buy beats pro.
u buy it for the look, not the SQ.

most people would recommend d2000, but u said that u don't like it
HPs is all about diminishing return.
the more u spend, the less u will get in extra.

BTW there are beats pro in HMV to try-out.
why don't u try it urself and determine if u would spend 200quid in it

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 38

Quote:
Hey guys,

First off I'm in the UK and not in the US, however have my auntie in the US who can buy me some monster Headphones/earphones.
I have ordered a set of Monster Turbines, which I got for only $50 refurbished, which in the UK is only around £38 or so - which IMO is a bargain, no matter which way you look at it.

My question here for you today, is are the Beats PRO worth £160 / $250 refurbished or not?
If not = why.

I went into HMV today (like bestbuy etc.) and tried the Denon D2000's - I was impressed with the bass response and it did get me listening to them for a good 5-10mins, however I wasn't really impressed with them to the point that I would see myself spending around £200 for them (on amazon or at HMV)

My headphones I have, are ONLY for indoors, and I use them when I game at night etc.
The ones I have are the Sony MDR-XB700's (as you can see I love bass)

I bought them fro £70 2 years ago, and they are still worth in my eyes over that price.
I haven't come across many headphones to hit hard in the bass, be VERY comfortable, and have a good sound stage. They again I'm not the best man to ask about headphones, but when you ask me about earphones, that's a whole different story.

So here is my question to you audiophiles, especially you headphone junkies.

What headphones would you recommend for UNDER and i'm stressing this, £200. Nothing above, and something that would feel as a very worthy upgrade to my £70, now £60 Sony MDR-XB700's.
I will ONLY be using the headphones in-doors, and thus do not care about portability.
I want something with a 3.5mm jack and that drives bass quite down low.

Saying that, even the Beats pro couldn't touch my TFTA 1XB's...lol

In my honest opinion yes. They are good if you get them for under $300.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 38
@Hug

I don't get your reply.

For me the Denon's didn't have as good mids and highs as the pro's did.
The again, I don;t even know if the d2000's are supposed to compete with the beats pro, but rather I think the d5000's are.

I know many many people, have a dislike for the Monsters, especially on these forums, but I'm talking about value for money - bang for buck here.

I loved the MTPG's, but couldn't understand why they were priced at around £200, even £150 is too much to pay for them.
My TFTA's > MTPG's by a long way.

And if you read the OP i DID try them both. and thus came to the conclusion that the beats pro sounded better, HOWEVER I'm wondering if there is anything cheaper, as in HMV all the prices are marked up 2x.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 38
First off I wouldnt even compare Beats and Denon D200 in the same post, IMO they are a league apart in terms of detail bass response.  Beats have acres of muddy/confused bass that is all in one very tight region.  The Denons are far more accurate and go lower when driven well and have a better clarity throughout all areas including trebble, which to me was terrible in extension on the Beats I have listened to.

In answer to the question relating to Beats and value, I would rather own your existing can that spend anything on Beats.  IMO they are a fashion statement not a headphone for critical listening, or even pleasurable listening if you have any kind of ear.  You could also investigate the Ultrasone range as they can be very bass heavy cans with a fun sound sig, although I found the 580s very bright/harsh, that is a taste thing though I think as many poeple here enjoy them.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 38

Quote:
First off I wouldnt even compare Beats and Denon D200 in the same post, IMO they are a league apart in terms of detail bass response.  Beats have acres of muddy/confused bass that is all in one very tight region.  The Denons are far more accurate and go lower when driven well and have a better clarity throughout all areas including trebble, which to me was terrible in extension on the Beats I have listened to.

In answer to the question relating to Beats and value, I would rather own your existing can that spend anything on Beats.  IMO they are a fashion statement not a headphone for critical listening, or even pleasurable listening if you have any kind of ear.  You could also investigate the Ultrasone range as they can be very bass heavy cans with a fun sound sig, although I found the 580s very bright/harsh, that is a taste thing though I think as many poeple here enjoy them.

Many thanks for the reply, although I can agree that the Denon's did have a better bass response, they didn't however have as much of a PUNCH in yooo FACE bass that the beats pro's did (now bearing in mind I only had 5-10mins on each, so a mini mini demo, is not the best call, but still, that's what I can go by right now)
And I do realise everyone's hearing is different. I'm just looking for options, or just for opinions.

So from your post I see:
Stick to the XB700's

Thanks for the reply :)

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 38

Quote:
Many thanks, are there any others that you would say are good or more so better?
Sub $250/£200?

And also, Refurbished goods from monster...is nothing to be worried about  right? (i mean fakes etc)

I don't have enough experience to answer that yet. But based off of the 3 headphones I currently own I preferred the beats pros. They were bassy fun and had good highs. Not harsh or grating to my ears in any way. Don't listen to people here bashing the pros. For $400 I don't believe there worth it but for $300?  That's a good deal IMO. People here don't want to admit their headphones they paid $200 or slightly more are worse then a mainstream oriented headphone. I still feel you should go for it. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 38

Quote:
I don't have enough experience to answer that yet. But based off of the 3 headphones I currently own I preferred the beats pros. They were bassy fun and had good highs. Not harsh or grating to my ears in any way. Don't listen to people here bashing the pros. For $400 I don't believe there worth it but for $300?  That's a good deal IMO. People here don't want to admit their headphones they paid $200 or slightly more are worse then a mainstream oriented headphone. I still feel you should go for it. 

I don't care about brand or image or looks, I care about quality and sound :)
So I'm with you regarding that comment.

Many thanks for the replies-  I shall do some investigating :D

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 38
I own D2000 and the dre pro. I do enjoy the monsters but I think the D2000's are way better. I think if you listen to the denon's first and then the pros you'll realise how much detail and soundstage you're missing.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #14 of 38
ultrasone hfi-580

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 38

Quote:
I own D2000 and the dre pro. I do enjoy the monsters but I think the D2000's are way better. I think if you listen to the denon's first and then the pros you'll realise how much detail and soundstage you're missing.

Interesting, I found the sound stage was more open on the denon's but detail? I felt the denon's were a bit "far away" so to speak.
I think I need to do some more listening :D!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back