Beats by Dr. Dre or Monster TurbinePRO Copper.
Apr 3, 2010 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

exsoldiercl0ud

New Head-Fier
So my friend's birthday is coming up, and I'm not sure what to get her.

She's been talking about these two a lot saying how the Beats would be for home and the Turbines would be for traveling. So ideally she wants both. Because she thinks they look nice. (I'd get her some other stuff, but it's her birthday).

Online I've found the Beats for $230 and the Turbines for $280.

Though since me and my friends are splitting up the cost for the gift, I wanted to get the "better" of the two.

She currently has a Cowon S9 and generally listens to K-Pop, R&B, Alternative and Punk Rock.

Since Beats are full on headphones, I'd think that they are better. But Turbines cost more even though they are IEM's. So that's why I came to ask.
-Which has the better "Soundstage?"
-She likes Bass, which one does a better job at it?
-Which one would fit her preferences better for the music she likes?

I know it's sort of like comparing an apple and an orange.

Also, I know there are probably better things out there but she likes those two. And I guess there's nothing wrong with wanting one thing for style.

Thanks for the help all!

Also, if this goes in the wrong section, can someone move it? Thanks!

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 28
popcorn.gif

Here comes the hate...

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 28
Most of the people say turbines but it really all depends on her, if she likes the full size can look get the beats, if shes into a little better quality and doesnt mind iems then get the turbines. Strickly quality then its turbines for sure

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 28
I myself own the M50s and can say that they are definitely better than the Beats for less than half the price. The Beats are good, but overpriced to hell. Though it seems that the girl in question is like my girlfriend, and wants more aesthetics than performance. The Beats ARE a pretty sexy looking pair of headphones which IMHO is it's only saving grace.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 28
I would get her different headphones, but this is about her, and I'd think it'd be selfish to give her something that I would get (unless she wanted it as well).

Putting all this hate etc aside, I'm just trying to get the better of the two things she wants.

It'd be like asking which of these games to get: "No More Heroes 2" or "Tatsunoko vs. Capcom" but then you go suggesting "Super Smash Brothers Brawl."

I'm just trying to make the better purchase of the two options I have.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 28
I respect your deference to your friend's preferences, but surely you can talk her into something else that performs well and is also attractive - the Audio Technica ES or Sony MDR-570LP (seeing some good comments on Headfonia) for example.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 28
Everybody is trying to help you in saying that they both aren't worth the price. If you can only get those two, get her the cheaper ones as they are still a waste of money.

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 28
I recommend Koss KSC75s, they're almost as protable as in ears, they cover the ear almost like cans, sound better than both of your choices and cost 20 bucks. Then you can take more time off work and spend it on HeadFi so you can change from you blasphemous ways and learn to turn your back on Dres and SkullCandy and other imperically bad stuff.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 28
The MTPC's get some love in the portable forum, so you might to check out the reviews. I believe there's an appreciation thread or at least an impressions thread about them.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #14 of 28
Honestly, Blisse and Mad Lust Envy, have either of you heard the Turbine Pro Coppers? They're actually quite good. There's always going to be disagreement when it comes to headphone rankings, but from my own experience with the Turbine Pros (Copper and Gold) and the things I've read about earlier Monster offerings, the Turbines seem to buck the trend of Monster merely producing overpriced, nice-looking garbage. I wouldn't pay full retail for the Coppers, mind you, and I might even hesitate to call them nice-looking, but they are absolutely not garbage.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 28
If she is all about aesthetic looking, maybe the ES7 will do?
smily_headphones1.gif
If you have to choose, I would go with Turbine, since the Beats don't fully function as they described it being closed.
audio-technica-ath-es7-mirror-head-phones.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back