Beats by Dr. Dre or Monster TurbinePRO Copper.
Apr 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, Blisse and Mad Lust Envy, have either of you heard the Turbine Pro Coppers? They're actually quite good. There's always going to be disagreement when it comes to headphone rankings, but from my own experience with the Turbine Pros (Copper and Gold) and the things I've read about earlier Monster offerings, the Turbines seem to buck the trend of Monster merely producing overpriced, nice-looking garbage. I wouldn't pay full retail for the Coppers, mind you, and I might even hesitate to call them nice-looking, but they are absolutely not garbage.

From all accounts, the Turbine series IEMs are reported to be quite good. Maybe a tad overpriced, but they're supposed to be competitive for sure...unlike the rightfully maligned Beats....

To be fair, I've never tried either one [though based on my brief and unpleasant experience with Bose Triports in the store, I could imagine what the Beats would be like], though I did briefly consider getting the Turbine Pro Coppers when they were on deep sale at Dell's website [ultimately I didn't because I severely hate having to deal with Dell]. I wound up with the Panasonic RP-HJE900s instead, and am quite happy with them.

Personally, I'd try to sway her opinion to other headphones. Realistically, I'd spring for the Coppers, given the choice between the two. Nothing good can come of helping the sales numbers of the Beats.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #17 of 28
bleh. I would just get her the M50's even know I know she wants something else.

If she is going to reject a gift and not even give you chance, then screw her.

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bleh. I would just get her the M50's even know I know she wants something else.

If she is going to reject a gift and not even give you chance, then screw her.

Actually that could be the goal, I don't know, why else would one get Dre's.

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #19 of 28
If the ATH-ES7s are indeed a viable aesthetic option, I second TheSoviet's recommendation of them as a much cheaper but still well-performing alternative...

EDIT: I don't want to get too lost on flights of fancy if you really do only have two choices, but another contender in the fashionable-but-sonically-adept category is the Phiaton MS 400:

Phiaton-ms-400-headphones-1.jpg

No personal experience with them yet, but that will be changing for me shortly.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #21 of 28
Neither, though I would say the lesser of the two evils is the Turbine.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 28
While I haven't used the Copper Turbines, I do own the original Turbines which I'm happy with so I would assume based on that that the Coppers would be good (keep in mind this is only speculation on my part), but I have no love whatsoever for the Beats. Maybe you should give her the Turbines and tell her that you read that the Beats were no good so she should consider another option for a full sized 'phone.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by exsoldiercl0ud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get her different headphones, but this is about her, and I'd think it'd be selfish to give her something that I would get (unless she wanted it as well).

Putting all this hate etc aside, I'm just trying to get the better of the two things she wants.

It'd be like asking which of these games to get: "No More Heroes 2" or "Tatsunoko vs. Capcom" but then you go suggesting "Super Smash Brothers Brawl."

I'm just trying to make the better purchase of the two options I have.

would you give her heroine if that's what she asked for? Point is, there are much better ways to take the strain off life and escape than heroin. Likewise, there are much better ways to look cool and enjoy good quality sound then the beats. if you want better options, do a search
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #25 of 28
if you went to a winter jacket forum people wouldn't say don't get her the Burton because brand x makes one just as warm but cheaper.

These are things she'll wear. If she has one in mind, get it for her!

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The naysayers might want to actually listen to the Coppers before dismissively writing them off....

Agreed. But then they wouldn't be naysayers, would they?
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. But then they wouldn't be naysayers, would they?
wink.gif

Nope, not if they actually heard them, IMO.
smile_phones.gif
More senior members than me agree that the Coppers, in the VERY least, belong in the conversation regarding best universal IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back