Beats Audio Laptop.
Dec 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Jlox1

100+ Head-Fier
Will the Beats Audio coming on my new HP DV7 laptop make the audio THAT much better or is it just a selling point... BTW I would hate for anybody to THINK i'm "bashing" Beats in this forum as I can see it is an issue on the website distinguishing between discussion and bashing.. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 27

Quote:
Will the Beats Audio coming on my new HP DV7 laptop make the audio THAT much better or is it just a selling point... BTW I would hate for anybody to THINK i'm "bashing" Beats in this forum as I can see it is an issue on the website distinguishing between discussion and bashing.. 

I doubt that the Beats Audio software will do anything. Its really just a equaliser AFAIK. Although disabling it will sabotage the bass frequencies on your laptop. Not sure about the hardware on the laptop, but since its a laptop, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 27
HP has to pay so much trademark royalties to Dr. Dre that there isn't any money left to improve the laptop.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, there's nothing magic in the software (other sound devices have similar gadgets in their drivers), and the hardware isn't better than what can be found in other laptops with good sound.
(However, you can at least be sure that it will not be worse than that in other laptops.)

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 27

Quote:
I doubt that the Beats Audio software will do anything. Its really just a equaliser AFAIK. Although disabling it will sabotage the bass frequencies on your laptop. Not sure about the hardware on the laptop, but since its a laptop, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

And on top of that the EQ ON/OFF switching works in funny ways....... Best to go to windows audio console to make sure it is disabled.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 27
I've been wondering the same. Does beats audio webpage have specifications about it? 

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

It's marketing.  And it takes advantage of suckers.  Rightly so.  

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 27
I already bought the laptop because of the other specs. 1.7ghz Quad Core, 17.3 in Screen, Webcam, 640gb Hard Drive, 4gb of RAM, a key pad to the side, fingerprint scanner, all for $399 refurb. The beats was just an exciting added bonus... 

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 27
My roommate also just bought a dv7 with Beats. Naturally I was curious, so I gave it a listen. Though not Beats (Altec Lansing, I think) the speakers are the best I have ever heard on a notebook. Obviously I would never want to listen to music from notebook speakers, but I cant count how many times I've wanted to show someone a Youtube vid or whatever and wished the speakers were louder. Also in that vein, there are two 1/8in jacks. This will be useless for some but I would love this feature.

Regarding the SQ, I gave it a casual listen with some sr60s, since they are the only cans I have that don't require amping, and I was actually impressed. No headphone out on a notebook is ever going to be great, but I thought it sounded even better than my mac and definitely better than either of my asus comps. There is obviously some EQing going on which can easily be turned "off." But it's hard to tell what exactly that means. It predictably affects the bass primarily.

I thought the performance seemed better than could be achieved through EQ voodoo, so I hunted down some description of whats going on hardware wise, but couldn't find anything beyond repetitions of the marketing blurb on HP's website: Redesigned headphone jack to reduce ground noise, Discrete amplifier for more power, Dedicated audio island to minimize fan noise interference. That all sounds good, I guess. But it doesn't mean much to me without specifics about the design and hardware.

If I had to live in a world without external DACs and amps, then I might want one. Thankfully I don't
atsmile.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 27
My brother has an HP laptop that he bought for specs, and it came with a beats audio subwoofer(Tiny). I have to say that it makes laptop speakers slightly better... But they're still laptop speakers. As far as the software, it's just a gimmick.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 27
It's more than just marketing, unless they feed bald faced lies to us during one of their live training events. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of marketing, it has to be to appeal to people. Anyway, I've been wondering about this as well and don't have access to one in a quiet environment and wanted to get your opinions on it.

There's hardware to it, it has an isolated and well shielded channel to prevent noise from the system and environment affecting your sound. You can notice this by turning the laptop up as high as you can go and putting on headphones, it will be damn quiet, no crackles or hisses. But as far as the actual sound quality goes I have no good access to one and can't try for myself.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 27
Sound is pretty good with headphones imo. I am no audiophile btw, but it is decent ,i find the beats EQ options pretty good for a laptop. I have a dv6 6135dx, which I bought for the specs, makes an awesome budget gaming laptop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back