Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes
Jul 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #256 of 436
Quote:
maybe, but he said beats are better than his HD800 + amp! OoO" so it has to be clear because beats tries so hard to cover it up with so much bass he thinks its better.(he partially rates headphone by bass QUANTITY) i have tried the 128 vs 320, it is a no brainer even my cheap HD202 could tell let alone my HD558 and his HD800 + amp (sorry i cannot name the amp, he doesnt even know what amp he has, all i know its a bout $1000-1500 from what he said
-_-" ) also he is used to the solo sound, he was about to get ANOTHER pair when his one showed amplitude imbalance, then suddenly a spark of wisdom caused him to ask me for advice, see his dad offered him a HD800 or a Solo. and i told him firmly to get the HD800, so thats why he has a HD800

also the thing is, HD800 is a super detailed headphone and will reveal any flaws in the track, making it actually sound worse than the beats, but thats just speculation since i haven't had a chance to listen to HD800 (HD700 i have tested at the shop though)

edit: Beats partly covers it with mud and bass, but also because it cannot even play the flaws in the track it may sound better for tracks which are 90% compression flaws (number plucked from thin air)

Honestly, I can see someone preferring a far, far cheaper pair of headphones over the HD800s.  They definitely aren't for everyone.  Not for me at any rate, I'm actually not a huge fan.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #257 of 436
Quote:
Yeah, they claim it handles higher frequencies better because of DSD's sampling. I don't think Sony very aggressively pushes SACD anymore, having said that.

That's quite true. There's not many SACD releases anymore, and new equipment used to run DSD is becoming scarcer, if it even exists anymore.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #258 of 436
Quote:
That's quite true. There's not many SACD releases anymore, and new equipment used to run DSD is becoming scarcer, if it even exists anymore.

Sony even dropped support with the PS3 slim.  I was actually kind of disappointed by that, but no big deal I guess.  The only reason the big publishing companies would ever want to use the SACD is because it has an excellent (that is, basically impossible to crack) DRM scheme.  

That is to say, it has total BS which is why I wouldn't really want to use it. :p

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #262 of 436
Quote:
Honestly, I can see someone preferring a far, far cheaper pair of headphones over the HD800s.  They definitely aren't for everyone.  Not for me at any rate, I'm actually not a huge fan.

so when his parents asked him if he wanted a solo or hd800, it would be a hard choice to help him decide which one o.o
i feel a little bad for making his dad spend $3000 on him for nothing

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #263 of 436
Quote:
Quote:

so when his parents asked him if he wanted a solo or hd800, it would be a hard choice to help him decide which one o.o
i feel a little bad for making his dad spend $3000 on him for nothing

LOL $3000?
The last time I checked HD800 was only something like $1400.

I'm not a fan of the HD800 but for a whole different reason...

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #264 of 436
Quote:
LOL $3000?
The last time I checked HD800 was only something like $1400.

I'm not a fan of the HD800 but for a whole different reason...

he got an amp as well..... so it euqates to about $3000 (cause i told him it needs a really powerful amp to run well)

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #265 of 436

They include it on newer Blu-ray players and the older PS3, and I think their ES receivers can still do DSD, but yeah it isn't really a pushed format. Just like DVD-A, it's going away (remember when Creative used to really push this?). I think the issue is that initial adoption was very slow, and universal players are a recent phenomenon (and probably too little too late).

I don't have an issue with the tech, or the DRM really (because it isn't obtrusive like some newer schemes (e.g. rootkits)), I think the best solution to protect your content is to put it on formats that aren't easily copied, not use a ton of adversarial software (how many bootleg SACD, Laserdisc/Hi-Vision, or Beta releases have you ever heard of? exactly.).

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #267 of 436
Quote:
I nearly got sick when I got my Solos about a year ago. The box was morbidly hilarious.

This is the best thing I have read all day.

Anyone else think Dr.Dre is just sitting up in a pent house laughing his ass off at the people that believe anything he has printed on his box. He knows every letter he's printing is just an utter lie in most parts, he is at least a producer and wouldn't be caught dead wearing his headphones to master or mix music I can nearly guarantee it.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #268 of 436
Quote:
This is the best thing I have read all day.

Anyone else think Dr.Dre is just sitting up in a pent house laughing his ass off at the people that believe anything he has printed on his box. He knows every letter he's printing is just an utter lie in most parts, he is at least a producer and wouldn't be caught dead wearing his headphones to master or mix music I can nearly guarantee it.

Haha, I bet he is!

How did you get your custom Title?
(It's referring to beats right?)

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #269 of 436
Quote:
They include it on newer Blu-ray players and the older PS3, and I think their ES receivers can still do DSD, but yeah it isn't really a pushed format. Just like DVD-A, it's going away (remember when Creative used to really push this?). I think the issue is that initial adoption was very slow, and universal players are a recent phenomenon (and probably too little too late).
I don't have an issue with the tech, or the DRM really (because it isn't obtrusive like some newer schemes (e.g. rootkits)), I think the best solution to protect your content is to put it on formats that aren't easily copied, not use a ton of adversarial software (how many bootleg SACD, Laserdisc/Hi-Vision, or Beta releases have you ever heard of? exactly.).

Hmmm well audiophiles seem happy with vinyl or CD audio and the masses seem happy with MP3 so I cannot see it catching on when you think about the logistics of bringing in a whole new audio format vs the consumer demand it is not really worth their while financially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back