Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes
Jul 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #211 of 436
Quote:
Yes that is because people who have not heard proper good quality headphones think that bloated midbass with loads of distortion sounds great....

This is why pretty much all integrated consumer audio systems or headphones such as beats etc. have horrible bloated, distorted mid bass... And when you play them some headphones which have flat bass response with no distortion they think it is bad even though it is actually better.

Best thing to do is just pat them on the head and agree with them and keep your thoughts to yourself because they are lost causes.

The funny thing is, I have a pair of headphones I like to think are pretty flat, the Audio Technica M40fs, and while they're amazingly clear, they're not loud enough for me and the lack of a good kick made me replace them.  

My only thing is, I wish I can find a pair of headphones that can satisfy the basshead in me, but also give me amazing sound quality, no mud, no distortion, drowned out mids/highs, etc.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #212 of 436
Quote:

I don't even think they look cool I would be embarassed to walk around with beats on my head.

yes i would never wear them either but some how the masses have been convinced that having beats n makes you look cool...lol and that coo is worth $300 to those folks..

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #213 of 436
Quote:

Considering that I'm also a Head-Fi member, I would be, too lol.

I remember when I listened to a pair of Studio Beats that a couple of friends have.  One of them listened to my headphones on his iPod Touch (which has no EQ) and told me "I don't like the bass".  Which is funny because on my iPod Classic (Acoustics EQ) my Ultrasone DJ-1 kick harder than the Studios.  When I listened to my other friend's set of cans, I noticed that they were really muddy, and also didn't kick as hard as my headphones on my laptop, to which he could only say "Noooooo!  Nooooooo!  No way".  I guess he doesn't want to believe he spent $300 on mud lol.

Even more ironic is the fact my laptop has "Beats Audio".  I don't mind it because EVERYTHING I hear is EQ'd, unlike Macs, but I've started to notice that the audio is also a bit muddy.

That "Beat audio" built in thing confuse me .. so beats makes DACs that is sells to other companies t use??  OMG   i guess bur-brown has to watch their back huh..lol

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #214 of 436
Quote:
That "Beat audio" built in thing confuse me .. so beats makes DACs that is sells to other companies t use??  OMG   i guess bur-brown has to watch their back huh..lol

Actually, they probably just make Beats stickers that they sell to other companies.... anyone know? I highly doubt they make DACs.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #215 of 436
Quote:

A picture speaks 1000 words...

That picture has already come up earlier in the thread and been debunked as a photoshop job.

Guys, let's keep the thread on-topic. Marketing lies is the topic, not Beats and their wearers.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #216 of 436
Quote:

The funny thing is, I have a pair of headphones I like to think are pretty flat, the Audio Technica M40fs, and while they're amazingly clear, they're not loud enough for me and the lack of a good kick made me replace them.  

My only thing is, I wish I can find a pair of headphones that can satisfy the basshead in me, but also give me amazing sound quality, no mud, no distortion, drowned out mids/highs, etc.

well certain types of music call for the headphones to perform a certain way to capture the style of that type of music..lol so i can see where non audiophile hip hop listeners would not be happy with many high end cans...

I go the Harman Kardon BTs today and they sound pretty damn good  (through the cable) for $250..

I am and audiophile but i believe that my speakers and headphones must be able to render what ever type of music i choose to play ...   i used to be into car audio and my goal was always to have my system able to play anything that anyone asked my to play and play it very well and very loud...  but crystal clear and accurately.. so i had to design a special pro audio esqu sound stage separation technique so that   i could play hip hop bassy stuff then throw on an accosting paul mccartney if need be,,lol   I used a diuble bass for mid bass and sub bass and EV pro audio stage monitors to achieve success.. no car speakers could produce the siound i needed at high volumes..lolol

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #217 of 436
Quote:

If you want some headphones that have pretty bass head quantity bass and also very good sound quality then I would reccomend the Denon D2000.... They have good sub bass and not bloated / distorted mid bass. They are a bit bright however but you might not find them bright.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #218 of 436
Quote:
That picture has already come up earlier in the thread and been debunked as a photoshop job.

Guys, let's keep the thread on-topic. Marketing lies is the topic, not Beats and their wearers.

yeh dre does not use cans when recording her just listen to studio monitors it seams..loll

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #219 of 436
Quote:
well certain types of music call for the headphones to perform a certain way to capture the style of that type of music..lol so i can see where non audiophile hip hop listeners would not be happy with many high end cans...

I go the Harman Kardon BTs today and they sound pretty damn good  (through the cable) for $250..

I am and audiophile but i believe that my speakers and headphones must be able to render what ever type of music i choose to play ...   i used to be into car audio and my goal was always to have my system able to play anything that anyone asked my to play and play it very well and very loud...  but crystal clear and accurately.. so i had to design a special pro audio esqu sound stage separation technique so that   i could play hip hop bassy stuff then throw on an accosting paul mccartney if need be,,lol   I used a diuble bass for mid bass and sub bass and EV pro audio stage monitors to achieve success.. no car speakers could produce the siound i needed at high volumes..lolol

I listen to more Electronic than anything else, but even then I would like to be able to have my bass and still understand what the rapper is saying.

Sounds like having bass and clarity is a lot harder than I thought it is lol

Quote:

If you want some headphones that have pretty bass head quantity bass and also very good sound quality then I would reccomend the Denon D2000.... They have good sub bass and not bloated / distorted mid bass. They are a bit bright however but you might not find them bright.

Do you know of any cans that are similar but aren't as expensive?  Also I heard the build quality of those aren't exactly the best, and I'd prefer to have headphones where the cord only comes out of one side....but that's just me being extremely picky lol

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #220 of 436
To get the thread back on track for the third or fourth time in as many pages, here's quote from Pioneer's page for the HDJ-1500:

Apparently the design of their bass port also magically isolates...

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #221 of 436
Considering that I'm also a Head-Fi member, I would be, too lol.

I remember when I listened to a pair of Studio Beats that a couple of friends have.  One of them listened to my headphones on his iPod Touch (which has no EQ) and told me "I don't like the bass".  Which is funny because on my iPod Classic (Acoustics EQ) my Ultrasone DJ-1 kick harder than the Studios.  When I listened to my other friend's set of cans, I noticed that they were really muddy, and also didn't kick as hard as my headphones on my laptop, to which he could only say "Noooooo!  Nooooooo!  No way".  I guess he doesn't want to believe he spent $300 on mud lol.

Even more ironic is the fact my laptop has "Beats Audio".  I don't mind it because EVERYTHING I hear is EQ'd, unlike Macs, but I've started to notice that the audio is also a bit muddy.

It's likely that their exposure to audio is X, and they consider X to be what sounds "right" or "good" - it's all relative though. I think the HFI-2400 is a muddy mess and that most Ultrasones are boomy, but that's relative to something else. Other people won't have that frame of reference, or feel the same way. Again, highly relative. I don't think he's trying to lie to you, nor do I think he's a "lost cause" (he is your friend, after all, right?) - it's simply different frames of reference. If you listened to his headphones 24x7 and not yours, eventually you would acclimate to them, and they would be "normative" to you, and other headphones would seem "off" by comparison. The current trend in modern audio devices is to bump the mid-bass up (and it doesn't have to be "muddy" by definition, it's just that generally speaking humped-up mid-bass sounds wooly/muddy), almost as if "they" are trying to fly in the face of audiophile hi-fi sound signatures (which are normally relatively thin and bright by comparison and can sound etched or harsh - neither of these signatures is really accurate or "flat" and by no means is one "right" or "wrong.").

To get the thread back on track for the third or fourth time in as many pages, here's quote from Pioneer's page for the HDJ-1500:

Apparently the design of their bass port also magically isolates...

This would easily enough debunked or verified with measurements. Unfortunately I can find none for the HDJ-1500. I don't fully understand what Pioneer is attempting to say in that blurb, but it's plausible - again, up to measurements to verify. The real question is, how good or bad was the previous model? :xf_eek: I mean, for all we know, the previous model actually amplified noise at those frequencies, and they're just getting it leveled off now...or it now provides a maximum of 4 dB of isolation there (which is essentially insignificant), etc etc. That's where it's dubious imo.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #222 of 436
Quote:
It's likely that their exposure to audio is X, and they consider X to be what sounds "right" or "good" - it's all relative though. I think the HFI-2400 is a muddy mess and that most Ultrasones are boomy, but that's relative to something else. Other people won't have that frame of reference, or feel the same way. Again, highly relative. I don't think he's trying to lie to you, nor do I think he's a "lost cause" (he is your friend, after all, right?) - it's simply different frames of reference. If you listened to his headphones 24x7 and not yours, eventually you would acclimate to them, and they would be "normative" to you, and other headphones would seem "off" by comparison. The current trend in modern audio devices is to bump the mid-bass up (and it doesn't have to be "muddy" by definition, it's just that generally speaking humped-up mid-bass sounds wooly/muddy), almost as if "they" are trying to fly in the face of audiophile hi-fi sound signatures (which are normally relatively thin and bright by comparison and can sound etched or harsh - neither of these signatures is really accurate or "flat" and by no means is one "right" or "wrong.").

I see exactly what you're saying.  I once thought my aunt's $20 Sony cans were amazing 'til I got a hold of JBL Reference 410, which I thought were the best 'til I heard Sennheiser HD205's & so on.  What makes it "worse" is the marketing behind said headphones, where they market the product (extremely well) to cause the mass to believe their exposure to the "audiophile" world is the very best they can buy.  Kinda like what Apple does with their Macbooks............actually they're almost identical in a sense.  Neither company produces a product that is of the quality you'd expect from the price you would pay for their products.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #224 of 436
partly the reason i feel that people find high end cans unappealing to them is the fact that most non audiophiles stock up with 128 kbps songs from itunes or some youtube rips (my friends do so) so when they take my headphones to test on their system they are unimpressed, when i hered my own pair through their system i was unimpressed too, beats just covers up the compression artifacts with their special magical feature of 'returning lost quality of mp3 compression' :D

im sorry that was just a joke, beats just covers and masks the artifacts by loading it with so much bass the people also think more bass impact means more energy means better sound quality,
on the other hand most high end cans are very picky about the music file quality being pumped through it, and will actually make beats sound better than $1000 flagships just because beats covers up the flaws while the flagship models just show you the flaws in the compression in utter most detail

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #225 of 436
Quote:
partly the reason i feel that people find high end cans unappealing to them is the fact that most non audiophiles stock up with 128 kbps songs from itunes or some youtube rips (my friends do so) so when they take my headphones to test on their system they are unimpressed, when i hered my own pair through their system i was unimpressed too, beats just covers up the compression artifacts with their special magical feature of 'returning lost quality of mp3 compression' :D

im sorry that was just a joke, beats just covers and masks the artifacts by loading it with so much bass the people also think more bass impact means more energy means better sound quality,
on the other hand most high end cans are very picky about the music file quality being pumped through it, and will actually make beats sound better than $1000 flagships just because beats covers up the flaws while the flagship models just show you the flaws in the compression in utter most detail

they don't cover up flaws, they are just so bad they cant play them in the first place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back