Beatles on CD? Good Quality?
Dec 5, 2001 at 4:09 AM Post #16 of 30
John said ....

the walrus was Paul
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 30
Ding Ding Ding!
We have a winner, don't make me ask the really hard questions now...........like why is Paul the only Beatle barefoot on cover of Abbey Rd album?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 6:35 AM Post #19 of 30
Paul being barefoot was part of the whole Paul is Dead thing that went around for a while.

Other big "clues":
John saying "I burried Paul" at the end of Strawberry Fields
Paul facing backwards on the back of Sgt. Peppers Album cover
The clothes on the front of Abbey Road are supposed to be significant:
John - Preacher
George - Grave Digger
Paul - Corpse
Ringo - Pall Bearer

There are a bunch of other clues in the lyrics of the songs too.

The story had to do with Paul being killed and then replaced with a look a like who had a scar on his lip. You see the scar in some pictures on album books and covers.

That's all I remember about it off the top of my head.

Dec 5, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 30
The Beatles CD's are a disaster, awful sounding. Especially that collection "1". All those wonderful songs put through a computer program. Yuk. If you can find some of the old UK Parlophone LPs they sound the best. Some of the North American Capitol LP's are not so good but if they are in good shape, they'll sound better than the CD. The double LP collections (blue and red) on Apple are pretty good.

Dec 5, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 30
i don't think the cds are as bad as beagle says, but it is true the vinyl versions are far superior. i have magical mystery tour on vinyl (with complete booklet) and the title song sounds so much better in analog, especially those huge rising notes played on bass & acoustic guiter. you can't even hear the guitar on the cd, it just sounds like the bass only.

did you ever notice at the end of "i am the walrus" they are saying "smoke pot smoke pot everybody smoke pot"? magical mystery tour almost reeks of cannabis smoke.
cool.gif
the picture of "the fool on the hill" in the book is of paul sitting on a huge pile of cannabis leaves!

oh yeah, john was saying "i'm very tall", not "i buried paul". don't you think the joker laughs at you?

Dec 7, 2001 at 6:35 AM Post #24 of 30
redshifter, my copy of MMT *does* reek of cannibis smoke.
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2001 at 4:31 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci

Beware of scams. The only Beatles material MFSL released was on LP not CD. You can see the entire MFSL discography HERE.

That's a great discography page, but I don't agree with that bootleg claim.

One thing to keep in mind about MFSL is that their sound quality in their latter stages is very inconsistent, and in some instances I was forced to terminate with extreme prejudice.

Dec 7, 2001 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

That's a great discography page, but I don't agree with that bootleg claim.

One thing to keep in mind about MFSL is that their sound quality in their latter stages is very inconsistent, and in some instances I was forced to terminate with extreme prejudice.

You can also check with the guys at music direct who now own the MFSL name. They will confirm that MFSL only released Beatles remasters on vinyl, not CD.

I have to agree with the inconsistency on later releases. That is another place the discography comes in real handy.

Dec 12, 2001 at 9:33 AM Post #27 of 30
I'd like to point out to potential Beatles CD buyers that the first four CD's, Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, and Beatles For Sale, ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN MONO.

I don't think that fact is even indicated on the packaging, so be warned.

George Martin felt the mono recordings were truer to the original sound. ********.

The Red '62-'66 set corrects some of this misjudgement by offering seven of the hits from those albums in stereo...and they sound great.

Dec 12, 2001 at 12:22 PM Post #28 of 30
I know you're not lookin for the "obscure" stuff, but for those already aquainted with the Beatles, the second and third volume (don't have the first) of the Beatles Anothology series are GREAT recordings. They have an intimacy and immedicacy that the studio recordings don't have. Probably because they're mastered from rare, first generation tapes made by the band members themselves. And some sound like simple one or two mic set ups. Purist! I've also never heard some of the album tracks sound so fresh - albeit they are alternative takes, and might be slightly less polished versions than the final album. But if you're a die hard Beatles fan, it's those little variances that makes those recording precious! Listening to the progression John Lennon went through to recording Strawberry Fields is a revelation. And the alternate studio version of the collection might even be better than the final studio version! There are a couple demos that George Harrison cut (at the time they were writing songs and recording them individually to bring into the studio for the White Album) that are amazingly live and intimate sounding. So for those of us who love the Beatles and never heard anything but the albums, that live quality is astounding. They are also a few studio takes that don't sound as fiddled with and smoothed out as the album cuts and I hear new details that I hadn't heard before. I beat up collection 2 and 3 playing it so much (and dragging it around) I recently re-bought both collections!

If your a novice, the "red" and "blue" collection are a great start! They may be all you'll need... for awhile.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

George Martin felt the mono recordings were truer to the original sound. ********.

Some of those were NOT recorded in stereo, but rather two mono tracks which were stacked. The awful "stereo" versions had the vocals on one channel and the music on the other. In this case, Martin was right.

Dec 13, 2001 at 11:28 PM Post #30 of 30
A little more about the US vs UK
It's true capital lopped off two songs of each lp, but it's although true that their hit singles never appeared on a lp in the uk (she loves you for instant) and generally the B sides were also never on a album.
The English record buyer has always been a little more discerning since their lps ,cds etc were always about double the price as the same thing in the US.
Thats why Magical Mystery Tour came out as a double EP in England.
Capital wanted an LP so it rounded it out with previously released singles on the B side.
When EMI came out with the CDs, they collected all non album tracks on Past Masters volume 1 & 2.
If you see an 'album' track on the past masters, it's because they released a different version on a 45.
Most other countries followed the British releases. One of the very few exceptions to this is a very strange Italian release, "The Beatles in Italy", which is not a live album (they never even played in Italy when it was released!)- it is just a very strange collection of their songs. Took me years to find that one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back