Beatles on CD - any good remasters yet?
Dec 15, 2005 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Riordan

500+ Head-Fier
i always thought it pretty shameful how lackluster the beatles sound on compact disc - not only compared to the wonderful vinyl recordings but on an absolute scale. last i read about it nothing had changed, there was no remastered version available that was worth anything. is that still the case or am i missing some great new development?

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 18
The Beatles album catalog has never been remastered since they were first issued in the mid-80s. This is a severe sore point with fans. OTOH, given that Abbey Road is one of the world's WORST mastering houses, chances are, if they are entrusted with the project, they will badly botch it.

The only "remastered" things in the catalog are the abysmal "Beatles 1" compilation of #1 hits that was no-noised, EQ'ed, and compressed to death. Then there's "Let It Be-- Naked", which is a re-mix, that has been de-Spectorized to remove his production flourishes. Most Beatle fans also dis-own this curiosity, and the mastering is also poor to boot.

The only (semi) bright spot is the box set of the Beatles early recordings (in their American versions), The Capitol Box set, done by the reliable Ted Jensen. The problem is that the early American versions are *not* the actual master tapes, but 2nd-generation tapes that were futzed with by American engineers (added reverb, etc), to make them more compatible with "American tastes" in the early 60s. The running orders and track listings of the American albums are also not the same as the original British versions.

Pretty sad state of affairs.

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 18
thanks, markl. sad indeed...
when i listened to 'let it be naked', i liked some of the new arrangements, but yes, the mastering was not what i had hoped for.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 18
The only ever truly GOOD sounding Beatles album I've ever heard was the Mobile Fidelity 33RPM Box Set from the 80s... and you'll have to pay many hundreds of dollars to afford that luxury.. and only on eBay... used...
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 18
If I recall correctly, the relatively recent Yellow Submarine soundtrack contains remastered tunes, and I have a limited edition "White Album" in miniature cardboard sleeve and clear slipcase that has an ease that the old hard cased version doesn't, suggesting it may be tweaked...

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
thanks, markl. sad indeed...
when i listened to 'let it be naked', i liked some of the new arrangements, but yes, the mastering was not what i had hoped for.

Glad people are owning up to the fact that "Naked" didn't sound that great. When it first came out I panned it sonically and got stomped on for saying so!
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Abbey Road is one of the world's WORST mastering houses, chances are, if they are entrusted with the project, they will badly botch it.

i think it's funny how many CD liner notes wear "Remastered at the Abbey Road Studio" as a badge of honor; everything i've heard that they have touched is terrible.

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i think it's funny how many CD liner notes wear "Remastered at the Abbey Road Studio" as a badge of honor; everything i've heard that they have touched is terrible.

go to bed
icon10.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

The only (semi) bright spot is the box set of the Beatles early recordings (in their American versions), The Capitol Box set, done by the reliable Ted Jensen.

Another would be the Beatles EP Collection which is highly regarded, (even SH himself likes it). *search* will reveal quotes/posts like "You have another vote for the EP Collection. It's one of the few releases that EMI/Apple got right. The sound quality on "She's A Woman" is worth the price alone. Getting the MMT EP in both stereo and mono mixes is a real joy."

It isn't cheap at about $100-$150 and I don't have it. I've gathered info while looking where best to throw my hard earned bread (it went on the vinyl 13 LP blue box set). But I will pick this CD EP set up eventually.

As for the '87 CDs, I take an (insanely?) optimistic view; I'll take so-so flat transfers over '97 style compression any day. At least we know in the future, if there is a remastering, treble-boosting Rhino will never get their hands on the tapes-that's a blessing!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
...As for the '87 CDs, I take an (insanely?) optimistic view; I'll take so-so flat transfers over '97 style compression any day. At least we know in the future, if there is a remastering, treble-boosting Rhino will never get their hands on the tapes-that's a blessing!
evil_smiley.gif

You betcha! After the massacre they made with the Yellow Sub. OST remaster, adding a thick layer of digital crap, they better leave those tapes alone. (and that was not a Rhino job!)

Personally i don't think the original releases sound that bad. The White Album sounds very very good to my ears.

I got the Japanese CD Singles box collection from '93 where most of the tracks are in the original mono version but i like the stereo remix much better.

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks

Check out Nick Cave and the Bad Seed's "The Boatman's Call". That's one of my top 3 reference recordings. Done at Abbey.

Dec 17, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Check out Nick Cave and the Bad Seed's "The Boatman's Call". That's one of my top 3 reference recordings. Done at Abbey.

like i said, everything i have heard.
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 18
Problem isn't when they record something there, it's when it's mastered there that there's trouble.

Dec 18, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Problem isn't when they record something there, it's when it's mastered there that there's trouble.

I don't know, there are still some great masterings coming out of Abbey Road. Electrelane (and other Steve Albini supervised projects like Valina and his own Shellac), the Notwist, Lali Puna, etc. But with the more mainstream stuff, they're giving the public apparently what they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back