Bean Bag Chairs!
Apr 9, 2006 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

themanster

Head-Fier
I want to get a new listen-to-headphone-and-relax-chair, but well, I kinda dont have much money. So a proper recliner is definitely out of the question. I have sorta decided on getting an oversized bean bag chair, but I was wondering whether it will twist my spine into a deformed drinking straw or the like. So do any of you guys know any side effects of these sort of chairs? Like backache, or anything? Would you recommend me to get one?

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 20
I like them, but only for a very short period of time as they really have no support. They also are rather large which could be a factor in a smallish space.

You could watch for a good sale on a recliner, or perhaps grab a used one?

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 20
I'm not really sure if they will damage your posture. But I do know that they die out pretty fast. I had my for only a few months before all the filling went flat and it felt like I was just lying inside a big bag. If you're planning to use a bean bag for a long time be prepared to do maintence.

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 20
Oh yeah, did I mention they aren't cheap anymore? (well, what is??)
But last time I saw them they wanted like over $100.
Seemed a bit much for what it is, ya know?

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 20
Wouldn't be too hard to make your own...

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 20
I would strongly advise against getting one even if you have a slight problem with your back.If its gonna be a chair you are going to chill in for hours listening to headphones it will definitely not do your posture any good at all.I personally cannot use one as i messed up my own back pretty bad a few years ago and now im very concious of where i sit.Having said that id love to get one of these but im sure i would not be able to walk after it.
http://www.fatboy.ie/

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 20
EDIT: Oops, mistake, ignore.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 20
Get yourself over to the local junk store. You ought to be able to find a used recliner or armchair pretty cheap. They're not as bad as you might expect and can be cleaned with upholstery cleaners and steam cleaners pretty easy. If you're handy, DIY upholstery is not that bad. It's about 90% labor and 10% skill- anyone can learn.

Hit up estate sales, garage sales, and it pays to make friends with the employees at your local Salvation Army or Goodwill. Donate stuff you don't need or maybe head over there for a Saturday of volunteer work. Mention that you're looking for a good recliner; odds are you'll get one.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 20
I want one of these:

chair4.jpg

Apr 10, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 20
Damn. All your comments make me feel so sad.
frown.gif
A few years ago my brother hurt his back, and he had to go wear a corset
tongue.gif
for quite a while and had to go to see the doctor to do stuff to heal his back(excuse my technical terms). I'm afraid the same thing will happen to me, guess I won't be buying a bean bag chair.

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #15 of 20
themanster: Something like this might be a priceworthy alternative: http://www.coolinflatables.com/site/...roduct/BILOCHA

For myself, I'm a fairly happy user of Intex airbeds, btw - altough I wouldn't really recommend that stuff for heavy people.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back