Be careful when ordering parts!
Aug 22, 2007 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

amphead

Headphoneus Supremus
On my last purchase, I was copy/pasting from an excel spreadsheet into the order form. Feeling confident that all of my parts were ordered, I confirmed my order and payed. Most of my order arrived as expected, but then what was this? Hmmm....221K Ohm resistors instead of 221 Ohm resistors. This will cost me a week on my project! Did the form fail! How could I get a "K" on the end, while copy/pasting?
confused.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Sometimes, even when you put the right part number into the search box Mouser still returns a different part, it's frustrating and has no rational explanation, it wasn't you.

FWIW, I've been bitten by the exact same thing, just be happy that you caught it before you built it. It took me a while to figure out what happened when my Millett had no output power!

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Actually, there is a rational explanation.

What happens is that you get all the part numbers that contain that string of numbers.
If you input ABC123,
you would also get XYZAB-C123, ABC-1234K, and 12GHA-BC123.

So you probably put in xxx-221, and got xxx-221K

I always check a couple times to make sure: I almost made the same mistake several times.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, there is a rational explanation.

I'd argue "sort of". I know what you're saying but in my opinion, if you input a search string that exactly matches a part number I think that part number should come up as listed first as the "best match".

Quote:

I always check a couple times to make sure: I almost made the same mistake several times.

Yup, in the end man is still smarter than the machine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 11
Yup, I've done the same thing myself. I like DigiKey since they have the 'quick enter' order box that accepts part numbers directly and doesn't require you to actually search for the parts again when you already have the part # in your BOM. No chance for mistakes caused by their web interface, then...

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Actually, that "K" on the end of the 220 was in the BOM from the beginning. It happened to me when I was making up the BOM. Since I was trying to create an actual hyperlink to the part in the Xcel spreadsheet, I had just copied the results from inputting a 200 ohm RN55 resistor.

I corrected it later on, but it sounds like Mouser's web search is still doing the same thing.
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 11
Well, to the credit of Rhonda at Mouser, she is sending the correct parts at no charge. That was because I gave her a little whine with some cheese. :wink:

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It happened to me when I was making up the BOM. Since I was trying to create an actual hyperlink to the part in the Xcel spreadsheet...

I corrected it later on, but it sounds like Mouser's web search is still doing the same thing.
frown.gif

I tried same thing before , added actual hyperlink to the part# in the xls but my experience is no too good as sometime it is not working well..... So I gave up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back