BD 990 Premium vs. K702 vs. AHD2000
Oct 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nfs924

New Head-Fier
Well, I need some help deciding on which headphone to purchase. Thanks in advance for any replies :)
I'd love to go to a store and try some of these headphones out, but unfortunately I'm pretty far away from most of them. Reading reviews online can only go so far, I'd like to get some responses from some real audiophiles out there.

I listen to mostly music, and play some games here or there (FPS).
I mainly listen to electronic, and some rock.
I enjoy bass, but not an overwhelming amount. 

I can't decide between the Beyerdynamic 990 Premium (600ohm), the AKG K702, or the Denon AHD2000.

For the most part I'd like a somewhat neutral headphone, but something that sounds "warm" would be fine with me.

Comfort and quality of construction are two huge things for me. I need these headphones to last a long time.

If you have a different headphone to recommend, let me know. I'm fine with open or closed headphones.

Let me know your opinions, thanks again! 

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 11
I can comment on the DT990 600Ω vs D2000.

They honestly sound much more alike then people would otherwise think.  They both have a little sense of a smiley curve, but the major difference is the D2000 stays strong on its bass reproduction all the way down to mid 20hz, while the Beyer starts to roll off at 50hz.  Make no mistake though, it does have a strong bass from 60-100hz.

The D2000 is in general more 'thick' in its presentation compared to the DT990.  For the most part the sound feels like it has more weight to it.  This can lead to the DT990 sounding thin at times and the D2000 sounding heavy at times.  The D2000 trades a bit of note attack sharpness for very good sub-bass extension, while the Beyers trade sub-bass extension for very good sharpness to their sound.

The Beyer soundstage is immense, and very spacious.  Compared to the Beyer's soundstage, the D2000's soundstage is very spacious as well, but after listening to the Beyers for a while, it'll seem like the D2000s are cavernous, and the sound isn't decaying as naturally.  The D2000s have the best soundstage I've heard from a closed headphone so far.

Both have about the same amount of detail and clarity, but the Beyer is sharper.

If i were to give them number:
Bass: 
DT990: 7
D2000: 9
Mids:
DT990: 7
D2000: 7
Highs:
DT990: 9
D2000: 8
Soundstaging:
DT990: 9
D2000: 7

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Compared to HD600 I feel 7 is pretty accurate for D2000. I guess it depends on the sources. But D2000's mids aren't as recessed as other bass heavy headphones.

Are you saying you feel like the HD600's mids are recessed?

I had the D2000s for 2 weeks and could not stand them.  The vocals sounded like they were coming from the bottom of a well; had to return them.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
7 is very generous for the D2000's mids, IMO.

They might be a little recessed, but they're still every bit as detailed and clear as a DT990.  As for being recessed, their recession is about just as much as the Beyer.  The scale was specifically to compare Denon and Beyer.  If I had experience with the AKG 701, no doubt the numbers would change a tiny amount.  I don't get the feeling of vocals being at the bottom of a well, that screams sensationalism.

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
They might be a little recessed, but they're still every bit as detailed and clear as a DT990.  As for being recessed, their recession is about just as much as the Beyer.  The scale was specifically to compare Denon and Beyer.  If I had experience with the AKG 701, no doubt the numbers would change a tiny amount.  I don't get the feeling of vocals being at the bottom of a well, that screams sensationalism.

Thanks for clarifying; I didn't realize you were speaking strictly out of comparison.

I may be a little biased going from the D2000 to AKG K702 and DT880/250, but the difference is really night and day.  

As for vocals coming from the bottom of a well, that may be a bit exaggerated but it was a pretty problem for me.  Have you heard anything by Adele on the D2000s?  The recession really throws the instrument/vocalist placement in the soundstage way off; Adele sounds like she's at the very back of the stage while the piano is right up against the mic. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Yes, actually, I have both of her albums.  I was specifically comparing the DT990 and D2000 on Hometown Glory a couple hours ago.  I found her voice to be equally as strong on both headphones.  It's a bit more separated on the DT990, but otherwise both are equally as resolving.  I attribute the separation on the DT990 to its natural decay from the soundstage.  I have no DT880 and AKG702 to compare right here, so I can't help you with that.  Otherwise for me, her voice is at the forefront on both pair of headphones.

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Yes, actually, I have both of her albums.  I was specifically comparing the DT990 and D2000 on Hometown Glory a couple hours ago.  I found her voice to be equally as strong on both headphones.  It's a bit more separated on the DT990, but otherwise both are equally as resolving.  I attribute the separation on the DT990 to its natural decay from the soundstage.  I have no DT880 and AKG702 to compare right here, so I can't help you with that.  Otherwise for me, her voice is at the forefront on both pair of headphones.

I guess it's good that you're happy with what you have.  For me, it was a world of difference going from the D2000 to the K702 and DT 880.

On a side note: Damn she's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back