bay area mini-meet review
Apr 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #32 of 54
Someone in the SF Bay Area might want to ask the organizer(s) of the upcoming 2011 California Audio Show if they'd accommodate a space for headphone hobbyists. The last two RMAFs had a space for headphone folks (even calling it "CanJam@RMAF") and to my knowledge there was also a headphone space at this year's Axpona (another speaker-based audio show) that was provided for free (though I don't know if the space was actually used). Wouldn't hurt for a local to ask if the same thing could be done at CAS.

Given the amount of people that I saw signed up for the last meet in the area, I think that if CAS had space for headphone folks, there'd be serious potential to show off lots of headphone gear to all the speaker-based audiophiles. Could be a really cool display, with all the hardcore Head-Fiers that I know are in the area.

The 2011 CAS is July 15-17, more info here: http://www.caaudioshow.com/

I'll probably be attending the show for at least one day, already have a flight booked for that weekend (the show isn't the only reason I'm traveling out). If someone manages to get a headphone room at the show, then I'll definitely stop by to show my support.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #33 of 54
Asr, I hope to be able to attend the CAS with mkubota and maybe even meet you...

But, I will be out of the country <fairly close> to the event and wouldn't be able to organize a meet at the CAS unfortunately.
frown.gif

Maybe someone else might like to give it a shot though!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #34 of 54
Since I was already planning another mini-meet (a few people have been asking me - don't worry I haven't forgotten any of you), I'll volunteer to ask the CAS organizers if someone hasn't done so already. One room though is all I can handle.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #36 of 54
My only concern is layout - the bigger rooms available are sandwiched between the occupied rooms at CAS. May not be optimal for headphone listening. Maybe a set four of the 11x20 rooms to keep the noise down... This would be bigger than a mini-meet, but probably much smaller than the Bay Area meet a few months ago.

I'll wait another 24 hours before I inquire - just to make sure no one else has asked or were planning to ask the CAS organizers.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #37 of 54
@purrin:  I can get the crate of power cords and power strips to you for the CAS.  Or just bring it as I plan on attending...

THANK you for trying to set this one up!

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #38 of 54
Would there be any security issues with head-fi having a small meet within the bigger event? I think I remember reading about a problem recently, was it NYC?

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #39 of 54
After some preliminary inquiries, I don't think this is going to happen for a variety of reasons: CAS would like us to buy a vendor booth (although at a significant discount), and the location of the vendor booth may not be ideal (for headphone listening). If a large number of us wanted to see CAS, we would be better off getting space on our own on another floor or at another hotel next door. I'll look into this more a little later. I'm still too jet-lagged right now since my return from Taiwan.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #40 of 54

Quote:
After some preliminary inquiries, I don't think this is going to happen for a variety of reasons: CAS would like us to buy a vendor booth (although at a significant discount), and the location of the vendor booth may not be ideal (for headphone listening). If a large number of us wanted to see CAS, we would be better off getting space on our own on another floor or at another hotel next door. I'll look into this more a little later. I'm still too jet-lagged right now since my return from Taiwan.

If the headphone audio meet will be held on the same day, getting space on another floor would be more convenient than getting space at another hotel. I looked at the floor plans from the CAS website, but it seems there's only one floor.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #41 of 54
I think my vote would be for us to do our own event again, on a different day (maybe in the August-October range).  Just too many hoops to jump through with CAS to make it worth it IMHO.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #42 of 54

Quote:
Would there be any security issues with head-fi having a small meet within the bigger event? I think I remember reading about a problem recently, was it NYC?

I think that was the Montreal SSI Show:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547615/montreal-meet-at-the-ssi-april-1st-2nd-and-3rd#post_7383303
Poor guys... sounds like they didn't have enough heads to keep watch over their stuff.  I'll definitely be going to this show.  If anyone does decide to exhibit and needs a hand (set-up, watching stuff, etc.), let me know.

May 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #43 of 54

Quote:
I think my vote would be for us to do our own event again, on a different day (maybe in the August-October range).  Just too many hoops to jump through with CAS to make it worth it IMHO.

[size=medium]
I second this. Let's plan another mini-meet again? Maybe after some of you guys (TMoney and Horio) finish your KGSSHVs? I'm thinking July though - don't know if thats too early for you Horio. There's a handful of other folks who've PM'd me that I'd like to invite too.
[/size]

May 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #44 of 54
We at least gotta wait till the SR-009s show up. I can't imagine meeting again before that. :)

May 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

I second this. Let's plan another mini-meet again? Maybe after some of you guys (TMoney and Horio) finish your KGSSHVs? I'm thinking July though - don't know if thats too early for you Horio. There's a handful of other folks who've PM'd me that I'd like to invite too.

I'm hoping to have TMoney's KGSSHV amp up and running by then.  It's probably going to mostly depend on when Gilmore releases the updated power supply and when they do the next board run.  I know TMoney's going to be chomping at the bit for me to finish it once his SR-009's show up...
biggrin.gif

We won't talk about the T2 particleman and I'm planning...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back