Bay Area Meet
Jan 26, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #46 of 56
I look like a tard in that picture
tongue.gif

I'd post more reactions to the lesser known gear if I could. This is the first time I've heard most of the stuff there and I couldn't listen for long enough to determine more than I posted earlier.

Jan 26, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #47 of 56
It was cool stopping in at a meet while on vacation. Thanks to Joey for hosting.

I thought the Sudgen was an incredible amp, and I preffered it over the Max. Very solid sound, great low end, and very fast.

I also enjoyed the Audio Technica phones, I thought they looked and sounded incredible.

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by eighteen_psi
I look like a tard in that picture
tongue.gif

Don't feel bad. I'm definitely the most photogenically challenged of the whole group. I somehow managed to look drunk, stoned and stupid all in one fleeting moment. Sometimes I amaze even myself. At least I could have had the decency to be wasted if I was gonna look like that. Oh well. There's always next time.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
At least I could have had the decency to be wasted if I was gonna look like that.
biggrin.gif

Dave- we all saw you finish the keg that's in the picture! And you didn't even share!

At least you guys don't have that "duh" look. Not saying that I could be any more photogenic, because I was born with this ugly mug and that's just life! I can only laugh because at Christmas when I went to pick up my kid's Christmas pictures, I had to wait almost an hour in line... all I could think of when waiting for 15 other parents to look through their pictures was that it wasn't the pictures that were bad, it was just that they had ugly kids! Now it's coming right back at me!
redface.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #51 of 56
the one on the right, with the beige cap...is grancasa. on his left is his friend...whose name ive forgotten, but was very cool and easy going.

Jan 28, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #52 of 56
Head-fi member Grinch is selling his Sugden HeadMaster... That was the star of the meet- who's going to step up and buy it??? Sure job securities bad in these parts, but the way I look at it is that at least I'll have good equipment if I'm jobless!

I'm seriously looking at buying a RKV, especially after Servinginequador's review. Sounds like just the amp for me. We just have to find a bay area person that has one so I can audition!!! I also wish Meier audio (or Audio Valve) had a distributor in the US! Nothing more fun than international shipping!

Jan 28, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #53 of 56
i saw grinch's sugden, felt that compulsion to click the ole pm button... but had to hold back. source upgrade is first for me, and $675 doesn't come easily just yet...

let us know if you secure an rkv drewski -- i'd be interested in hearing doug's cd3000 and rkv pairing at some point (with your arcam and power cords/supplies, that's some serious equipment going!)

Jan 28, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #54 of 56
Yeah, that's me with the cap on. My buddy next to me is named Sam, I imagine he'll be on these forums soon. He seems to have caught the headphone bug, and he decided that he liked the sound of the HD 580's enough to get a pair.

I remeber someone here goes to DVC... so does Sam, so you may see him wandering around campus with a pair of HD 580's in the near future.
smily_headphones1.gif

-edit

I almost missed that I reminded you of Kelly. That's too bad, he's the one guy on this board that annoys me enough that I've finally clicked on "Ignore this users posts". Oh well, I hope I'm nothing like Kelly.

Jan 29, 2003 at 9:09 AM Post #55 of 56
I want to thank everyone who participated in the meet. I'm sorry I didn't have anything to share with. I particularly thank Kurt who directed me to the meet. Joey for being a nice host. And most of all Steinie for bringing his wheatfield ha1 and gillmore. These are the amps that I found my HD600 to be most compatible with. I particularly like the gillmore. For what little I hear I was so impressed. Good bass. Big soundstage. Good dynamics and detail. Based on Kelly's reviews of gillmore and corda prehead I decided to buy corda ha-2. If you read his review you'd know what I mean. But it was Jazz's review of corda ha-2 that clinched it. I already ordered one and it's on it's way.

Thanks again Steinie.

Feb 10, 2003 at 9:32 AM Post #56 of 56
Three weeks later. . . .

I've been a little busy, but I thought I better post a response before it's time for the next meet! (I'm probably supposed to insert an 'lol' or a happy-face here to indicate it's a joke, but I just can't bring myself to use these contrived devices -- if you have to diagram it, it's not really funny -- but then, all this is for another post. . . ) Memories are already beginning to fade of course, but to me, there was no question as to the star of the show. . . . . Drewski's eggrolls!!!!! They were the best I've ever had -- from "Eggroll King," I think it was. . . .

But seriously, it was a great experience for me, and I'd like to once again thank Joey for being such a good host. Everyone I met there seemed genuinely nice, and miraculously, there were no signs of jerks! I'm still a novice at this whole headphone thing, and to be honest, it was all a bit overwhelming. The sources alone were amazing 'ear-openers' for me, and combine them with all the incredible headphones & amps there, and I could have been listening for hours!

Alas, I was not terribly systematic in my listening strategy, and I didn't take any notes, but as far as amps, like most of the people there, I too was probably most wowed by the Sugden. I thought the Gilmore definitely held its own, though, and I remain an extremely happy Gilmore owner.

One highlight for me was the opportunity to finally try the Sennheiser HD-600's (with the Blue Clou cable). I thought they sounded silky & lush, and if I were a little richer, I wouldn't mind owning a pair in addition to my Grado SR-325's, which I also love. Yes, the two sounds are quite different, but I like them both (and don't quite understand the extreme either/or attitude of so many Head-fi'ers. . . .

Speaking of Grados, I was thrilled to try out the RS-1's, and loved them, but not necessarily more than my SR-325's, and certainly not a lot more. One thing I got to do was to a/b my SR-325's with the Sennheiser earpads with some SR-325's with regular bowl pads, and I was surprised to find a lot less of a difference than I do when I try this at home. I guess this is because of the better sources at the meet, but the bowl pads seemed a lot more tolerable.

Like others, I was excited to finally get to audition the legendary HP-2's, but as LobsterSan put it, I too was a little underwhelmed. I didn't have much time with them, and would love to try them again, but I was left wondering about the whole transparency/neutrality standard, and where my tastes lie in relation to this.

I love my Gilmore-amped SR-325's, and find them to be incredibly dynamic, with wonderfully detailed highs that I don't usually find overly bright. At their worst, I agree that the highs can be shrill, but much of this seems dependent on the source. . . .

What's so great is, at the meet, I got to check out so much incredible equipment, with regard to which I remain in awe; yet, I'm still very happy with my own stuff! In a couple of days, I should be receiving my Usher CD-100 (aka the Shanling CD-S100, but best known as the Music Hall MMF-CD25), which I just bought off of Audiogon, and I'm hoping this new decent source will allow my SR-325's to flourish. Sorry I took so long to post my impressions, and now that I have, sorry for rambling on. I'll shut up now.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back