Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP
Jun 16, 2006 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Dave_M

100+ Head-Fier
If you are using foobar with headphones (i'm guessing most of you will be using headphones :p) then I recomend you try out the Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural plugin. It's basicaly a crossfeed plugin with some fixed EQ settings. It makes the headphones sound more like speakers.

I wanted to decide for myself how it sounded before I really understood what it was doing. I've been using it for a while now and i think its really great. At first I thought the effect was quite subtle, but i tryed removing it the other day to see what it was like and the difference was dramatic.

With it enabled, the sound is no longer in my head, it is in front of me much more. And the soundstage is much more complete (HD650 has a "3 blobs" soundstage - you can hear things in front of you, to your left and right but there are "holes" in between). I was a little disapointed with the HD650 soundstage, but it is much better now.

How can people who use dedicated source components ever hope to have a setup as good as this?
evil_smiley.gif

I'm interested to know what other people think of the plugin. To get it go HERE and scroll down to post #6

Jun 16, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 42
I don't really like it - IMO it changes the sound too much while it is doing its cross-feeding thing. In fact I prefer the regular foobar crossfeed plugin. The best crosfeed solution I've tried was the switch on a Headroom Bithead amp.

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec
I don't really like it - IMO it changes the sound too much while it is doing its cross-feeding thing.

Seconded.
It surely does provide a speaker-like presentation but with huge trade off.
Might have potential, but in it's current state I do clearly prefer a Meier hardware crossfeed or even the adjustable Headplug plugin for winamp.

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 42
I've tried most of the digital crossfeed DSPs for WinAmp (HeadPlug MkII and Speakers Simulator v0.6 and Nullsoft DSP). In the end, I have to say that I still prefer to have the sound inside my head. To me it's a part of the headphone sound and experience. =)

Jun 16, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 42
Yeah, it dampens the sound by quite a bit. To me it made the music sound very dull with reduction of the treble sizzle.

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 42
this plugin does make music with lots of sibilance easier to listen to, but after a listening for a while, the music starts to lose the "wow" factor in my mind. after turning off the plugin, i realize the upfront clarity that i've been missing... then the headaches from the sibilance returns. and the cycle continues =(

Nov 21, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this plugin does make music with lots of sibilance easier to listen to, but after a listening for a while, the music starts to lose the "wow" factor in my mind. after turning off the plugin, i realize the upfront clarity that i've been missing... then the headaches from the sibilance returns. and the cycle continues =(

I have released a new (2.1) version of bs2b (http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/) with new 'easy' levels, where 'high easy' preset is close to Chu Moy's version of crossfeeder (http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...=cmoy1_prj.htm)
and to Jan Meier's one. A sound difference between bs2b and hardwared brothers is interest me.
Thanks for probing.

Nov 21, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 42
I used it, along with headplug, but preferred ATSurround Processor's headphone setting for foobar much better. IMO it is the strongest "speaker sim" ever.. Though I only use these processors when i am really bored. Totally ruins most of the sound..

Nov 21, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by boris_mikhaylov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A sound difference between bs2b and hardwared brothers is interest me.

Hi. I used to use your crossfeed (1.1.0b) in the past but now I'm using Dr. Meier's (H5).
Extensive comparisons between your implementations would be difficult for me as things stand because of the volume matching required. Could provide a way to disable the crossfeed effect while still lowering the gain by the same amount?

Thanks for releasing free software BTW.

Nov 24, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really like it - IMO it changes the sound too much while it is doing its cross-feeding thing. In fact I prefer the regular foobar crossfeed plugin. The best crosfeed solution I've tried was the switch on a Headroom Bithead amp.

I have vice versa thoughts, foobar "regular" crossfeed cuts a bit of upperbass and it doesn't do much wonders.

Well yes, BS2B makes sounds a more distant and kills a bit of reverbs which might be usually over exaggerated for headphones since most mixing have done with speakers.
Imho BS2B does't change the frequency response much, maybe some highs are attenuated though, but I'd rather call it "less forward". It have some effects of the transients most on the midrange.

Good thing is that sounds coming from center, usually singer is maybe only a slightly more distant sounding, but other thing are distant so it makes more depth to soundstage, though it doesn't separate it to many layers.

Nov 24, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by boris_mikhaylov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have released a new (2.1) version of bs2b (http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/) with new 'easy' levels, where 'high easy' preset is close to Chu Moy's version of crossfeeder (http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...=cmoy1_prj.htm)
and to Jan Meier's one. A sound difference between bs2b and hardwared brothers is interest me.
Thanks for probing.

i dont have any hardware to compare but comparing it to other software crosfeed's ... 2.1 seems very good , a definite improvement over the last version
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #14 of 42
Let's raise this old thread.

Any new thoughts about this plugin? How do you like it compared to a normal crossfeed plugin? I've been using this plugin for now and I've been very happy with it. I think I'll do some comparison between it and Bauer.

May 1, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's raise this old thread.

Any new thoughts about this plugin? How do you like it compared to a normal crossfeed plugin? I've been using this plugin for now and I've been very happy with it. I think I'll do some comparison between it and Bauer.

I use the same plugin,Patu,and I think it's better than the Bauer.The latter kills a lot of detail! Of course,depending on the headphones used,some also could think otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back