Battletoads?
Jun 25, 2006 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, this game has started to annoy the hell out of me. My friend and I attempted to beat it, but it's physically impossible. We resorted to downloading an emulator and the rom, and game state saves.

We're on what we believe to be the 2nd to last or last level, as we are in the FINAL 3d-ish tower thing. Neither of us think it would have been humanly possible to beat it without losing all of your lives and retries. Since school is out, we have been playing ALOT of it, and I would say maybe anywhere between 5 and 10 hours. Time truly flies out the window when you're mad at a video game.

Has anybody actually beaten it? If so, DO NOT say what happens in the end. That would make it much less exciting for my friend and I.

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Jun 25, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 15
Pyro, sorry, but it seems your out of luck:
Difficulty

Battletoads is extremely challenging; in fact it is notorious among NES games for its brutal difficulty and quick deaths. It requires a great deal of skill, practice and memory, and luck plays almost no part. Because of its mix of race levels, high-speed obstacle courses, and dangerous instant-kill obstacles and monsters, it requires a broad base of skills which makes the game very difficult to beat. Ironically, although Battletoads is classifiable as a side-scrolling fighting game, the monsters the player defeats through brute force are much less challenging than the obstacles and instant-death traps the player must avoid.

Two features did reduce the otherwise crippling difficulty of the game. In the second level, a quick player could gain multiple lives by repeatedly hitting defeated enemies before they fell offscreen; thus a skilled player could build up a store of ten or more lives to spend in future levels. Second, there were several "warp points" scattered throughout the game that let the player skip ahead two levels. A knowledgeable player could avoid approximately half the levels in the game through judicious use of warp points.

Despite these concessions to the player, Battletoads has a reputation as being virtually impossible to finish, even among hardcore gamers. Even defeating the game with a Game Genie may garner respect from those who remember the game. But for those willing to tolerate the high level of challenge, the game is considered very enjoyable, and possibly one of the best NES games ever.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battletoads

Jun 25, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 15
Ah man, I remember this game... I can't ever remember playing through all of it though, it must have been like 10 years since I've played it. I'm with you though, the game is bloody difficult, one of the hardest games along with Ghosts and Goblins on NES. If you're into crazy difficult games, Beat Takeshi supposedly designed one for Famicom, it started off with a disclaimer that the game was designed by someone who hated videogames. The final boss had over 20 thousand hit points and you didn't get an ending for beating it if that's any consolation. So yeah, don't feel bad, Battletoads can't be that bad
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Pyro, sorry, but it seems your out of luck:
Difficulty

Battletoads is extremely challenging; in fact it is notorious among NES games for its brutal difficulty and quick deaths. It requires a great deal of skill, practice and memory, and luck plays almost no part. Because of its mix of race levels, high-speed obstacle courses, and dangerous instant-kill obstacles and monsters, it requires a broad base of skills which makes the game very difficult to beat. Ironically, although Battletoads is classifiable as a side-scrolling fighting game, the monsters the player defeats through brute force are much less challenging than the obstacles and instant-death traps the player must avoid.

Two features did reduce the otherwise crippling difficulty of the game. In the second level, a quick player could gain multiple lives by repeatedly hitting defeated enemies before they fell offscreen; thus a skilled player could build up a store of ten or more lives to spend in future levels. Second, there were several "warp points" scattered throughout the game that let the player skip ahead two levels. A knowledgeable player could avoid approximately half the levels in the game through judicious use of warp points.

Despite these concessions to the player, Battletoads has a reputation as being virtually impossible to finish, even among hardcore gamers. Even defeating the game with a Game Genie may garner respect from those who remember the game. But for those willing to tolerate the high level of challenge, the game is considered very enjoyable, and possibly one of the best NES games ever.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battletoads

Surprisingly, we finished every one of those intense races alone. Some of them started going waaaaayyy too fast, but we managed to do it on our own! Being chased by a pink swirly thing is pretty hard on a one wheeled bike type thing with no seat, so your legs are just flying in the air.
icon10.gif

Try not to play the one where you're in the plane, too. The background starts to hurt your eyes once it gets to its fastest speed.

By the way, I have like 20 lives because of level 2
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 15
BATTLETOADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battletoads II was one of the greatest ever games on the SNES. I remember some level where you ride a hockey puck type thing across a chessboard type level, took me forever to beat that. And the music was awesomeness too - my friend and I came up with these words to it: "You're a hypocrite, you're a hypocrite...I'm not a hypocrite, I'm not a hypocrite!"

Best. SNES. Game. Ever. (well, after games like ALTTP, Super Metroid, SMB3...)

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 15
I believe he's talking about the NES version of the game (which is the original version).

That has always been one of my favorite games, and yes it can be beaten. But man is it tough.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 15
That game on the NES is the widowmaker of NES controllers.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Don't worry sir, it can be done. After you finish that, do it without loosing a life. Give yourself a real challenge. After that, do Mario 1 without loosing a life, then MegaMan 2 without loosing a life. After you have completed said tasks, come back for a few more. Then after you have completed THOSE, you may be considered to have wasted more time than I.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 15
Also a widowmaker: The Mario Bros "Lost Levels" that was Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan. It was released in the US on the Super Mario All Stars compilation cart for SNES.

Oh man. That game is freaking something else... SO HARD.

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Also a widowmaker: The Mario Bros "Lost Levels" that was Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan. It was released in the US on the Super Mario All Stars compilation cart for SNES.

Oh man. That game is freaking something else... SO HARD.

Oh yeah. The Japanese SMB2 was so hard that on level 1-1 I wanted to yell obsceneties at the screen. Battletoads was always one of those impossible NES games, along with Ninja Gaiden and Ghosts N' Goblins. No matter how awesome a game is, if I can't beat it, I'm pissed nowadays. Hell, Vagrant Story is frustrating as a mofo, but I still got that game down and I might go in one more time just for fun.

600smile.gif
Abe

Jun 26, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 15
Arrgh, I remember that level!
mad.gif
The one with the rotating tower that you have to climb. I think I gave up on that level as a kid after many, many fruitless attempts.

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Battle toads is one of those games i wish I could wipe from my memory.
Maybe I was just too young, but it's one of those games that I exists in my mind in a perpetual loop of depression, like those hand held games that were just black figures that are endless and sucked really badly; you remember.

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 15
I forgot to mention a while back that my friend and I actually accomplished this task. I'm going to spoil the ending, so if you don't wanna know, don't highlight the area below this.

After you get past the dumb spinny level, you come to some funky room, and then that evil lady comes. Her only attack is to start spinning around and become some sort of tornado/hurricane. I think she is the easiest boss of all of them. If you time it, you can kick her in the midst of a tornado thing, and safely stay on the ground if you kick her up high enough. When she's dead, there's some other lady, and you're standing on a platform or something. Then it's over. That thing at the computer comes up, and says something like, I bet you could bottle up all of that ambition and blah blah blah. It then goes back to the starting page, and that's it.

END OF SPOILER

Users who are viewing this thread

Back