Battle of the portable headphones!
Oct 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there my headfier friends... :)

Here i am once again with one of those difficult choices so lets just get straight to the point...

A year ago these three portable headphones costed 300 euros each.... Now i can buy them for 160 euros euros each....

So here are the contenders....

Sennheiser Momentum (already have them, bought for 160 euros in a portuguese store, love the sound, but i have to try hard to get a good fit so i am still thinking if i should or not sell....some say these are the best of the three in terms of resolution and sound quality... true?)

Sennheiser Amperior (160 euros on the french amazon, always had a crush on the hd25's, never tried them but seeing my favourite edm producers wearing them all the time makes me think they are amazing...)

Sony Mdr 1r (150/160 euros on spanish and french amazon, silver version is prettier but slightly more expensive, from what i read these are also very good and very confortable...)

I listen to a wide variety of music,from florence and the machine, bon iver, metronomy and radiohead, to bloc party, biffy clyro artic monkeys, queens of the stone age or even stuff like system of a down and end my day with a variety of edm that starts with deep house, evolves to house, progressive and finally ends with trance music (lets say 40% of my ipod is edm).

So basically as you guys can see i want the better all rounder and i want it not only to shine on portable and street use but also to be a very good home headphone (i like buying versatyle things)

Any opinions on this matter are more than welcome... :)

Cheers...

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 16
I, personally, would choose mdr-1. Its more comfortable, for me, than Momentum, and i think it is fairly good. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 16
I've been asking this on a few threads, but has anyone used them for gaming? I'm wondering how they do with positional awareness given that they are closed. But I also need the sound isolation at work and on the go!

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 16
The only ones to consider on that list are the Momentum and 1R. The Amperior just doesn't meet my portable needs. Of the two, I would do the 1R over the Momentum, but both are excellent. None of the three are good for gaming in any way what so ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back