Battery recharger for Grado RA-1 9v battery
Feb 7, 2002 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bhadrara

Head-Fier
HI! Just got my Grado RA-1 a couple of hours back .Contrary to some opinions expressed here, the RA-1-HD-600 combination sounds simply ethreal (they are brand new , so they have'nt been burnt out as yet). However ,since this is battery powered , can anyone recommend a battery recharger for the 9 v batteries ?

Feb 7, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 6
I have an RA-1 and can highly recommend the Plainview 9V batteries. Plainview has a special charger for their battery. You will require two batteries and two chargers. As far as I know Plainview is the only rechargable 9V battery that has an output slightly higher than a regular 9V, all other rechargeable 9V have an output lower than a regular 9V.

www.thomasdistributing.com is a good source for the Plainviews.

Feb 7, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 6
Optimal charge time for the Plainviews is about 8.5 hours in the dedicated charger. Rather than two batteries and two chargers, I got four batteries and one charger. Only $10 or so more, but I always have charged spares ready. As long as you're not in a hurry, it's easy to charge them one at a time.

I agree completely on the RA-1/Senn combo. There's a real synergy there. I sometimes wonder if the RA-1 is as good with Grado's...oddly, I haven't read much about that combo here
confused.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 6
The RA-1/RS-1 combination is an excellent synergistic combination. The RA-1 was designed with the RS-1 in mind and it shows. Depending on your taste and ears it is arguably one of the best dynamic combos out there. I find the RA-1 also works well with the ETY4S.

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 6
I have Rayovac 9V NiMH battery which measures 9.6V when powering my amp. So Plainviews is not the only one giving higher than 9V. The Rayovac is also least expensive in places like Wal-Mart at $6.97. The Plainviews may have higher capacity though (and more $$). Mine charges fine on old NiCd charger which has 9V sockets.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 6
IIRC, the Rayovac is rated at 8.4 volts (has seven 1.2 volt cells). The Plainview has eight 1.2 v cells, which is why it is rated at 9.6 volts. It has both higher voltage and capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back