Battery problems with iBasso P4 "Warbler"?
Dec 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CJG888

Headphoneus Supremus
I have recently taken delivery of an iBasso P4 "Warbler". I am using it with the stock op-amp configuration, and with gain set to "low" (to drive GR07 IEMs). Whilst it sounds excellent (particularly in terms of soundstage and dynamics), the battery performance has been less than stellar! In particular, if the unit is left switched off for a few days, the battery goes completely flat.

Has anyone else experienced this with iBasso equipment?

Is this normal (i.e. a bug or "feature"), could it be user error (should I leave the "charge" switch on the back in the "off" or "on" position when it is not being charged?), or is my unit likely to be faulty? If it is a faulty unit, could this be rectified by simply replacing the rechargeable battery, or will I have to send it back to iBasso?

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi,

I have also recenly purchased a P4 warbler and am also experiencing the same defects as you are, and i am not sure how to rectify this. What happens with my unit however is that when I leave the unit unused for a number of hours, and then I decide on using it, whenever I switch my unit on. the battery dies, so what I do is i sort of jumpstart the battery by plugging it on and turning it on.. it seems to may have worked but then a few hours pass and when I turn off the unit for a few hours, the problem pops up again..

I am not sure as to why this is happening.. maybe both of us got a bad unit. Have you emailed iBasso about this? I think we're going to have to get the unit replaced.

I honestly think this isn't normal.
Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? if so how did you manage to resolve the issue?

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Sounds like you guys got a bad batch - you should be sending your amps back to iBasso. My P4 didnt have any of those problems - it didnt have any problems at all - and I rewarded it by putting a drill bit straight through the PCB and throwing the lot in a bin. Probably the best bang-for-buck amp I've owned - have never mistreated any of my other kit. God hates me.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 8
estreeter, 

My sentiments exactly, I am sending an email to ibasso now, unfortunately, they still haven't responded to my query. from what I remember ibasso CSR has been receiving excellent reviews from head-fiers i wonder what's happening..

I sure hope we get this resolved. I am quite disappointed with this one ATM. ack!

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 8
My "symptoms" seem a little different: the battery only goes dead if the unit hasn't been used for a few days, but then it is completely empty (no response at all, either sound or LED on switch-on), and needs a full charge (about 8 hours). If it were a car, I would suspect Lucas electrics.........
biggrin.gif

If you are "jumpstarting" it by connecting the mains lead and removing it again once it is running, perhaps the battery was initially flatter than you thought (and it is just draining in the course of the next few hours). How long do you give it for a full charge? I have heard that once the red light goes out when charging, the battery is actually only about 75% full.

It would be REALLY good (on an amp of this quality) to have a battery level indicator, even just a multi-colour LED! iBasso please take note for the next model......

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 8
I gave the battery a full charge, left it to charge overnight, so i'm pretty sure in terms of battery life, it should be giving me a good 40 hours (at least) right?
I sent an email to iBasso about this issue, and they going to have the unit replaced, according to them the unit is what they call DOA. i'm still observing the unit ATM hoping that i wouldn't need to send it back, I've been so accustomed to listening to music with an amp that i can't imagine how i was listening to unamped music before. haha
maybe you can shoot ibasso an email and tell them about your problem, maybe a replacement is in order?
I hope it turns out well for you dude.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Update: I just received my P4 replacement and I indeed got a lemon unit. Taking it for a spin now. :) so far so good. Sound is amazing. :) How ever did I listen to unamped music before. 

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 8
hi guys. i know this is an old thread and i've been searching all over. but basically my p4 warbler has a dead battery cause its just old. it still works with the power adapter. but i would like to revive it. i made the dumb mistake of throwing the battery away years ago and now im looking for a replacement battery. anyone has any info on what battery i should get?

thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back