battery-powered tube amp/DAC combos?
Sep 22, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lousyreeds1

100+ Head-Fier
Now there's a niche product... Does anyone know of any tube amp/DAC combos that run off battery power? The Red Wine Isabellina is the obvious match, but I think it's out of my price range right now. Are there any other options?

If there's nothing else out there, does anyone have a list of battery-powered tube amps? I see the forthcoming Dodd out there, but not much else.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Red Wine Audio Isabella...
You mention the Isabellina, but that one is solid state only. The Isabella on the other hand.
smile.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 9
Right - so this is even more of out my reach than I thought! Any other ideas? Looks like the product doesn't exist (other than in the Isabella). There's an opening here for some adventurous designer!

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm looking for something I can use easily in different countries with varying voltage requirements, and also something I can pick up and take outside if I want to read on a patio, etc.

I think my choices at this point will be to go with the new Dodd headphone amp and my iMod, or to go with the Red Wine package of Isabellina HPA and Wadia iTransport. The second would probably be prohibitively expensive, so Dodd it is unless I can find a better option.

I'm not wholly enthusiastic about battery packs just because of the number of boxes and added bulk, but it's an interesting option.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Red Wine Audio Isabella...
You mention the Isabellina, but that one is solid state only. The Isabella on the other hand.
smile.gif

Thanks for the clarification, I always wondered if there was a difference between the two headphone sections.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice. The Amphora looks like a very interesting alternative. Does anyone have experience with the TTJV Millet Hybrid amp? Looks like another possibility.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back