batch album title rename?
Mar 30, 2019 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iridium7777

100+ Head-Fier
i have a situation where i have some albums that are both 16 and 24 bits, so if they get loaded into the music app all of the files get dumped under a single album and it's confusing to see what's what, especially in itunes. to mitigate that i started adding "- HiRes" to the album title for the 24 bit files so they'd get separted out and be shown and two discrete albums.

problem is that i have about 100+ of these albums and i was wondering if there's a batch rename i can use somehow in something like Kid3 or some other tagger and just simply import all albums and do something like "* - HiRes" for album title and have it rename automatically?

any advice on how to deal with this?

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 7
with Mp3tag(which is in no way limited to mp3... bad names are bad), you can identify bitdepth with %_bitspersample%
after that, the no risk method is to simply move all the identified 24bit to a specific directory and then apply your batch rename only on that one directory containing only 24bit files before moving them back with the rest of your library.
the hardcore power user method is to find the line of code that will directly rename only the 24bit files without making a mess. maybe with some "if" option for when the value of %_bitspersample% is 24, but I really don't know. only that mp3tag is a very versatile tool that could most definitely do that. just not in the hands of a noob like me ^_^.

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 7
just to be clear, i already have one large master directory called "Hi-Res" under which there is a folder structure of "Artist" with "Artist - Album Name" subfolders. in that folder structure i only have 24 bit files, but their album tags are simply %album. I'm trying to figure out how to force them to be "%album - HiRes" or something like that.

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Mar 31, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 7
sorry for the misunderstanding. I ended up leaving out the renaming itself which was the only question you had :sweat_smile:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back