Bassy, single dynamic-driver IEM recommendations
Aug 28, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #31 of 44
I've tried both FD5 and FD7 and they do sound pretty great and higher resolution, but I've found the soundstage a little claustrophobic especially compared to FH9 which also has even more resolution and clarity, but ultimately is less enjoyable.

Besides small soundstage, they aren't really elevated bass IEMs, are they? Didn't have enough time to hear if they are shouty in the high mids and highs, but that would be a deal breaker as well for me.

One more thing is that at low to very low volume BL03 has a massive bass that is super tight and dynamic while costing 20 times less than the beryllium offer from fiio. I'm not even sure which one I'd prefer at the low volume. I do like elevated bass and low mids so that already gives points to BL03 for me personally.

And the absolute lack of shoutiness is just an amazing thing too.
If one is looking to IEMs for soundstage, I think that might be a waste of time. But then again, for me, wide staging is what open back headphones and speakers are for. Whenever I've had a wide soundstage on an IEM, it sounds compressed and less dynamic, which I definitely don't prefer. I am okay with an IEM having a closer stage; it's in your ear, it is okay to sound like it to some extent. It's not claustrophobic to me.

Also, the HD6XX has a very narrow stage for an open back. And it also doesn't have "basshead" bass, so I'm just trying to reply to what you actually wrote, not whatever the idealized headphone that exists in your head. As I probably should say, I'm not a basshead. I just prefer bass equal to mids, which is I why I said "just shy of basshead" not just "basshead" in my OP, so it stands to reason my recs don't meet that criteria. And I definitely don't like shouty upper mids and lower treble, hence the use of "warm" audiophile term. But taste is subjective, so best of luck on your search!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #32 of 44
If one is looking to IEMs for soundstage, I think that might be a waste of time. But then again, for me, wide staging is what open back headphones and speakers are for. Whenever I've had a wide soundstage on an IEM, it sounds compressed and less dynamic, which I definitely don't prefer. I am okay with an IEM having a closer stage; it's in your ear, it is okay to sound like it to some extent. It's not claustrophobic to me.

Also, the HD6XX has a very narrow stage for an open back. And it also doesn't have "basshead" bass, so I'm just trying to reply to what you actually wrote, not whatever the idealized headphone that exists in your head. As I probably should say, I'm not a basshead. I just prefer bass equal to mids, which is I why I said "just shy of basshead" not just "basshead" in my OP, so it stands to reason my recs don't meet that criteria. And I definitely don't like shouty upper mids and lower treble, hence the use of "warm" audiophile term. But taste is subjective, so best of luck on your search!
Yeah, thanks, man. Yeah, the soundstage isn't a major factor for me either. BL03 sounds less claustrophobic than fiio which I appreciate. HD6xx stage is crap TBH, but it's one of the snappiest phones out there. So much so that it hurt my ears and was fatiguing (i had 600) if I listened to anything above normal listening levels.

But I guess I am kid of a basshead. I can live with neutral, but recessed bass I just don't find that enjoyable. I love the tuning on BL03 which is just about perfect unless I find major dips somewhere which I just haven't had time to examine closely yet. So perhaps that's the biggest selling point for me besides the fact that it's also resolving, good timbre, musical/enjoyable, which I guess I have come to expect from single DD IEMs that are not super thin.

The fact that they fall apart in bass with anything beyond low volumes is kind of a bonus too as it forces me to listen really silently which is probably much healthier. IEMs ain't speakers afterall. Gotta be careful with how they might be influential towards the health of the hearing organs. The nervous system adapts especially if it's night and silent.

But yeah, fiio options are great. Just a fair bit more expensive.

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #33 of 44
REECHO SG-03 I am finding to be a spectacular headphone for a fraction of the cost of the beryllium offer from fiio. I have not had a chance to compare them next to each other, but there's a big price difference in favor of SG-03 and really it does so much so well. There's beautiful refinement to it.

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #34 of 44
REECHO SG-03 I am finding to be a spectacular headphone for a fraction of the cost of the beryllium offer from fiio. I have not had a chance to compare them next to each other, but there's a big price difference in favor of SG-03 and really it does so much so well. There's beautiful refinement to it.
Is it sub-bass boosted or midbass?

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #35 of 44
I'm looking for *single dynamic driver* IEM recs. Can be V-shaped but would prefer neutral mids and treble, with bass boost instead. I like natural sounding mids and a smooth, not bright, flat top end. and a clean bass boost/shelf just shy of basshead levels. I'm not sure about price, but I'm open as long as it's worth it. I don't really know the IEM world that well, and frankly, they're never my first choice to listen to music, it's just sometimes the best convenient option.

On the higher end, is my best option something like the CA Atlas? Are there other mid-tier options that are doing something like what I'm describing? Am I missing some bassy hybrid that makes single DD designs obsolete? And most importantly, will it accept Spiral Dot tips??

Again, no BA or hybrids, please. Thanks for any and all advice!
FiiO FD5 is a really good one under $300. It has wide soundstage too.

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #36 of 44
Is it sub-bass boosted or midbass?
It's more of a sub bass boost and also upper mids boost. Tastefully done, but I prefer to have the upper mids more linear. However the diaphragm sounds very rigid and has great attack and decay. Maybe even a little dry sounding. But vocals are very beautiful and realistic.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #37 of 44
Campfire vega. Been out a few years, good prices.

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #41 of 44
It's more of a sub bass boost and also upper mids boost. Tastefully done, but I prefer to have the upper mids more linear. However the diaphragm sounds very rigid and has great attack and decay. Maybe even a little dry sounding. But vocals are very beautiful and realistic.
Sounds like a good IEM for rock and metal, except the dry sounding thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back