Bassy, single dynamic-driver IEM recommendations
Jul 8, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 44
Already own the E5000 and think it's great! The only real issue with them is that the E5000 tends to need balanced amplification in portable applications to really shine, and can be a distraction to others since it leaks sound, so I don't really use them while outside. That's what the IT00s are for.

All that's to say, I just picked up the JVC FW01 and it's hitting enough sweet spots for me to keep them and phase out the IT00. Still might pick up the Atlas if it goes on a sick sale. Everything on paper is telling me to get them, but CA is such a lightning rod of controversy in the hobby. It's hard to know what to make of the actual quality of their successful IEMs.
For me liked the Vega a bit more than the Atlas but it has been a bit so just what I remember and both were stellar on bass but liked the Vegas a bit more but kinda splitting hairs. As I like a bit of a warmer sound and they are not far from each other just like the Vegas a bit more just my opinion.

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #17 of 44
Still might pick up the Atlas if it goes on a sick sale. Everything on paper is telling me to get them, but CA is such a lightning rod of controversy in the hobby. It's hard to know what to make of the actual quality of their successful IEMs.
If what you want is no-holds-barred-ballsy bass, then CA has you covered with several of their IEMs and their one headphone. Sure, many in this hobby choose not appreciate it, but those who do really like what CA is doing.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 44
Campfire DD iems like Lyra II, OG Vega, and Atlas really drove me deeper in admiration of what iem sound and comfort could achieve. My big purchase iem was Lyra II at 699 and it blew away my expectations. So much that later down the rode when I aquired the Andromeda I wasn't that impressed because I preferred the tuning of Lyra II and Vega.

While I wax poetically about campfire iems of the past, dont discount well tuned all-ba iems that can give you more well-controlled bass while providing smoothness in the mids and treble that you're looking for. I love the Atlas and Vega but in comparison to other iems like all ba Andromeda Gold, Fibae Black, and Fibae 6 are better all arounders in my book.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 44
If what you want is no-holds-barred-ballsy bass, then CA has you covered with several of their IEMs and their one headphone. Sure, many in this hobby choose not appreciate it, but those who do really like what CA is doing.
Going to go with you on this. The Vega’s is strong ass bass.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #20 of 44
I'm working up to the Atlas eventually, I think. I have some concerns about the fit and price, but on paper it looks like a good match for my tastes.

This week has been about discovering the LL size Final type-E tips. This opens up my options in terms of IEMs. So, I ordered a set of the Moondrop Aria. I might prefer something more neutral for my warmer gear.

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #21 of 44
I'm working up to the Atlas eventually, I think. I have some concerns about the fit and price, but on paper it looks like a good match for my tastes.

This week has been about discovering the LL size Final type-E tips. This opens up my options in terms of IEMs. So, I ordered a set of the Moondrop Aria. I might prefer something more neutral for my warmer gear.
Yeah, Aria is not a bad place to start, especially at it's price. Every time I listen to it, I can't help but think of how "nice" it is, and I mean that in a very light, positive, never-going-to-offend sort of way.

But it is not at all "NOICE!!" like you might otherwise find the Atlas or it's relatives like the Dorado2020 or Honeydew.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 44
So there have been a rash of single DD IEMs out recently, or coming soon. The Aria, IT01x, and now the FD3 (soon). That one is DLC, which is a fairly common material, but I expect a really solid timbre from FiiO. I hope they can get past that lower treble tizziness that carbon tends to have, It turns out it’s a good time to be a fan of single DD designs.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #23 of 44
So there have been a rash of single DD IEMs out recently, or coming soon. The Aria, IT01x, and now the FD3 (soon). That one is DLC, which is a fairly common material, but I expect a really solid timbre from FiiO. I hope they can get past that lower treble tizziness that carbon tends to have, It turns out it’s a good time to be a fan of single DD designs.
I had the OG Vega and as a sort of a bass head, I was ultimately disappointed. So much so that I kind of stayed away from in ear monitors for years. Having recently discovered the bl03 I'm back in the game. The issue I had with Vega is that its bass sounded like over ear planar magnetic bass instead of snappy af dynamic bass like hd6xx or hd800. I had to listen to it extremely low volume for the bass to really be snappy and not to lose shape if you will. Now blon 03 on the other hand I also need to listen relatively low volume (to the point that I pretty much listen to them only at night when it's quiet and the nervous system is calm, otherwise I can't hear crap) (for the bass to remain tight and snappy), but I guess the diaphragm is thicker and stiffer and so it doesn't need to be insanely low volume where I cannot hear anything (which was the case with Vega).

So yeah, if atlas sounds anything like Vega, while an awesome sounding thing in general especially for orchestral kind of music, classical music, it's just not what I'm looking for in terms of listening to electronica.

But yeah, in terms of tuning I'm pretty much looking for the same thing as you, except that for me the emphasis is snappiness, dynamics (while not being shouty). I don't need a whole lot of sub bass, even as I don't mind it.

What did you come to discover since last year OP? What did you buy and sell eventually?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #26 of 44
I had the OG Vega and as a sort of a bass head, I was ultimately disappointed. So much so that I kind of stayed away from in ear monitors for years. Having recently discovered the bl03 I'm back in the game. The issue I had with Vega is that its bass sounded like over ear planar magnetic bass instead of snappy af dynamic bass like hd6xx or hd800. I had to listen to it extremely low volume for the bass to really be snappy and not to lose shape if you will. Now blon 03 on the other hand I also need to listen relatively low volume (to the point that I pretty much listen to them only at night when it's quiet and the nervous system is calm, otherwise I can't hear crap) (for the bass to remain tight and snappy), but I guess the diaphragm is thicker and stiffer and so it doesn't need to be insanely low volume where I cannot hear anything (which was the case with Vega).

So yeah, if atlas sounds anything like Vega, while an awesome sounding thing in general especially for orchestral kind of music, classical music, it's just not what I'm looking for in terms of listening to electronica.

But yeah, in terms of tuning I'm pretty much looking for the same thing as you, except that for me the emphasis is snappiness, dynamics (while not being shouty). I don't need a whole lot of sub bass, even as I don't mind it.

What did you come to discover since last year OP? What did you buy and sell eventually?

Do either of these sound like what I am looking for?
Hey, here's a quick summary of my journey the past year or so:

My IEMs, current and for the near future, are the Thieaudio Elixir, FiiO FD5, and FiiO FD7.

The FD5 might have the best technical 1DD in its price range that I've heard, but the tuning is too V-shaped for me, so I EQ it. Only thing that competes technically is the IE300, but that V-shape is even more extreme, With EQ, the tuning on the FD5 is most ideal spot between natural and fun, which is why I have a hard time letting go of it. But if I had to sell one of these, it'd most likely be the FD5.

The nice thing about both the Elixir and the FD7 is they don't require EQ to my ears. The Elixir isn't quite as detailed and dynamic as the FD5, but the tuning is far more natural and to my tastes. A laidback neutral FR with a tasteful sub-bass emphasis. Technically it's close to if not on par with Kato, so no slouch in that regard. Also, currently cheaper than the FD5 in the US. This being Thieaudio's first 1DD IEM, it's an impressive feat. The Elixir is my EDC IEM.

FD7 sits kinda at the top of the heap for me. Possible endgame IEM. Right now, if my FD7 broke, I'd buy another as soon as I could. But they're obviously not cheap. so I don't abuse them, or travel with them. It's tuning emphasizes mid bass and lower treble compared to Elixir but it's still very natural (just a bit more fun), and technically it's a sizable leap past FD5. For the price, it's maybe not as detailed and technical as some would expect, but to me it's good enough in that department. The only 1DD I've heard that beats it on technicalities is the IE600, but it's not accurate to describe that IEM as warm. Bassy, sure, but not warm.

It's not necessarily a clean comparison because IEMs and full-size DD cans are so different, but the sound of the FD7 is reminiscent of Sennheiser HD650 in a lot of ways. And if anything, that's the takeaway from this post. It may not be the most detailed or precise headphone, but there's a musicality and richness to the reproduction with both the FD7 and HD6XX that can be addicting.

Fwiw, I've since sold the FW01 and retired the E5000, only because I don't think I can sell them. The rate of innovation going on in the IEM world for the past couple of years, especially with 1DD tech, has been kinda mind-blowing. The most recent crop of 1DDs are the best they've ever sounded and I don't know when it's going to slow down. For now I'm pretty content with my collection, and it would take a serious disruption for me to want to change.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #27 of 44
From what I've listened to, Xelento and Vega.
Z1R if hybrid.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #30 of 44
Hey, here's a quick summary of my journey the past year or so:

My IEMs, current and for the near future, are the Thieaudio Elixir, FiiO FD5, and FiiO FD7.

The FD5 might have the best technical 1DD in its price range that I've heard, but the tuning is too V-shaped for me, so I EQ it. Only thing that competes technically is the IE300, but that V-shape is even more extreme, With EQ, the tuning on the FD5 is most ideal spot between natural and fun, which is why I have a hard time letting go of it. But if I had to sell one of these, it'd most likely be the FD5.

The nice thing about both the Elixir and the FD7 is they don't require EQ to my ears. The Elixir isn't quite as detailed and dynamic as the FD5, but the tuning is far more natural and to my tastes. A laidback neutral FR with a tasteful sub-bass emphasis. Technically it's close to if not on par with Kato, so no slouch in that regard. Also, currently cheaper than the FD5 in the US. This being Thieaudio's first 1DD IEM, it's an impressive feat. The Elixir is my EDC IEM.

FD7 sits kinda at the top of the heap for me. Possible endgame IEM. Right now, if my FD7 broke, I'd buy another as soon as I could. But they're obviously not cheap. so I don't abuse them, or travel with them. It's tuning emphasizes mid bass and lower treble compared to Elixir but it's still very natural (just a bit more fun), and technically it's a sizable leap past FD5. For the price, it's maybe not as detailed and technical as some would expect, but to me it's good enough in that department. The only 1DD I've heard that beats it on technicalities is the IE600, but it's not accurate to describe that IEM as warm. Bassy, sure, but not warm.

It's not necessarily a clean comparison because IEMs and full-size DD cans are so different, but the sound of the FD7 is reminiscent of Sennheiser HD650 in a lot of ways. And if anything, that's the takeaway from this post. It may not be the most detailed or precise headphone, but there's a musicality and richness to the reproduction with both the FD7 and HD6XX that can be addicting.

Fwiw, I've since sold the FW01 and retired the E5000, only because I don't think I can sell them. The rate of innovation going on in the IEM world for the past couple of years, especially with 1DD tech, has been kinda mind-blowing. The most recent crop of 1DDs are the best they've ever sounded and I don't know when it's going to slow down. For now I'm pretty content with my collection, and it would take a serious disruption for me to want to change.
I've tried both FD5 and FD7 and they do sound pretty great and higher resolution, but I've found the soundstage a little claustrophobic especially compared to FH9 which also has even more resolution and clarity, but ultimately is less enjoyable.

Besides small soundstage, they aren't really elevated bass IEMs, are they? Didn't have enough time to hear if they are shouty in the high mids and highs, but that would be a deal breaker as well for me.

One more thing is that at low to very low volume BL03 has a massive bass that is super tight and dynamic while costing 20 times less than the beryllium offer from fiio. I'm not even sure which one I'd prefer at the low volume. I do like elevated bass and low mids so that already gives points to BL03 for me personally.

And the absolute lack of shoutiness is just an amazing thing too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back