Bassy Headphones
Sep 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jackson123

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones with deep sub bass and clear highs. I don't wan't a smiley eq'd sound just something that projects the deep bass well without sacrificing mids and treble.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 6
the hd 650 sounds great with an amp, ultrasone pro900 does also have a nice punchy bass which i really love but kinda lacking in the lows, mids in my opinion not as natural as you would want it. i heard the v-moda m-100 and the sennheiser momentum also have really nice sub bass but i havent personally listened to it myself

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 6
What's your budget? I've been using the audio-technica M50 for a couple years now and they have very good extension on both ends of the frequency spectrum. They do have a slight mid-bass boost and a narrow spike in the treble, so depending on what you're listening to the sub-bass and the upper highs could be masked. For example, a rap song might start out with an 808 bass kick, but then a higher-frequency bassline comes in and drowns out the sub-bass from the 808. If you have an EQ this problem is easily fixed, though. Even the iTunes EQ works pretty well, just lower the 125 slider about 3 dB and the 8K by 6. A 20-20K frequency response isn't hard to get out of a headphone, the problem is that so many of them have boosts in the mid-bass and mid-treble that drown out the frequencies below and above those boosts. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Budget?

Pro900 to me has the best bass of all and I have a few good basshead phones (see sig).  Can be found for $250ish

M-Audio Q40 for $130ish is the next tier down and may have bass to match the Pro900.  Needs aftermarket pads but worth it. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 6
q40 even without aftermarket pads is very good.  most bass in my collection.  generally use it with ipod, line out, and e11.  I'm always surprised by how good it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back