Bassy Cans for My Hornet
Jun 10, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 34
Yeah so anyway, I couldn't hold out. (see sig.) I still prefer my E500's waay more than the HD600. I want that clean, impactful bass in a full can.... so hopefully I'll know early this week as my D2000's arrive >:]

(+100 hrs burn-in)

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a review of The Hornet: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/e...et/hornet.html Ray's website is linked at the bottom of the review. You can also do a search here on head-fi for lots of comments on, opinions of, The Hornet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

And that great review was on the original Hornet -- which has now been improved with the "M" mod on all current models being produced -- which most peeps say is an even-better sound now.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 34
I have the Hornet and the D5000s. I find that I need to turn the volume up too high (so my audiologist tells me) in order to get the visceral impact I want in the Mids. But the bass is SICK.

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #20 of 34
I would also recommend the ultrasone pro 650's I did not prefer them for myself but for accurate deeep bass for electronica etc I think they would be a perfect fit. I did try them with hornet and it has no problems driving them well.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaroff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's my setup too, what position is your gain switch on the Hornet?

I have the Hornet on Med gain, but found that I get a snappier presentation using the High setting.

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #23 of 34
I'm not so excited about fit of the Denon's, guys. I'm going to experiment with padding them under the headband to get the cups to sit a bit higher on my ears. Also there isn't much clamp going on... they pretty much just rest on my head. No headbanging with these...

I'll hold off on a serious evaluation of sound quality/signature until post burn-in.

Fit aside, I think I'm preferring my HD600's at this point for their snappy & clean presentation of the entire spectrum. Also, the Hornet might be starting to burn in nicely now as I'm getting what seems like proper bass more like what I want.

Maybe I really did jump the gun on that purchase... We'll see how much I appreciate the Denons when they burn in.

And why does everyone hate the cord on them? I don't find it to be so bad...

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by spectaculartimes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Hornet on Med gain, but found that I get a snappier presentation using the High setting.

That was my thought at first too, but frankly I'm not too sure... Placebo and immediate volume differences I believe play a role in this, at least for me
wink.gif

I'm on Med all the time, sounds wonderful.

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #25 of 34
So I tried the Denons. While their sound was pretty good, the fit was not. I had to use some ugly padding under the headband to get the cups to sit at a good angle. Also, the lack of any clamping force & flimsy headband was something of a turn-off for me. I would have settled with it had the headband been a tad smaller.

So I sold them.

I wonder what else there is for me. K340? SA5000? Some headphone that's not out yet? What's going to synergize well with the Hornet? Or should I sell/trade the hornet for a different amp altogether?! Is going balanced really going to be worth it for me??

So many choices...

Maybe I should just relax and enjoy my music for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #26 of 34
I had DT770's coupled with a Hornet for a LONG time...

IMO, nothing can beat that sound for an IMPACTFUL listening session. The bass is rediculous, and the rest of the freqs don't really suffer. People say the DT770 mids are super recessed...they are, but not to the extent they're made out to be. And any can with massive bass, with my experiance, makes the mids sound recessed. Every can I've listened to with lots of bass has that "problem"...granted I haven't heard PS1's, but pretty much everything else out under the sun.

If you get DT770's with a Hornet, you'll crap your pants...guarenteed.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want that clean, impactful bass in a full can.... so hopefully I'll know early this week as my D2000's arrive >:]

. . . sounds like a job for . . . Proline 750!!! : )

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #28 of 34
Don't the prolines/K340/SA5000 etc etc all have the 1/4" headphone jack? Isn't that less than ideal to use with an amp like my hornet because 1) it sticks out and is liable to break off, and 2) it degrades the sound quality ?

I'm still trying to decide what my next pair of headphones is going to be, and this issue has been sort of bothering me...

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #29 of 34
Sounds like the sound you're after are Darth Beyer's.

Go with a set of Open Darth's with Blackmax cable. You won't be disappointed. I am almost positive of that.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't the prolines/K340/SA5000 etc etc all have the 1/4" headphone jack? Isn't that less than ideal to use with an amp like my hornet because 1) it sticks out and is liable to break off, and 2) it degrades the sound quality ?

I'm still trying to decide what my next pair of headphones is going to be, and this issue has been sort of bothering me...

If it bothers you - recable. If not - use a 1/4" to 1/8" extension cord (like 3-4 inches).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back