Bassy Cans for My Hornet
Jun 8, 2007 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

thread

Headphoneus Supremus
I've only been into this Head-Fi stuff for a little while so far, but I've really enjoyed these forums in the few months I've been reading them. (I do feel a bit addicted to the "New Posts" link.)

First, I got the Tomahawk/E500 combo. I don't think many will dispute that it is a really great pair, and I've been loving it for months now. I want to find some good full-size headphones to enjoy at home when I want to trade sticking things in my ears for the big soundstage/full can sound.

I've had the HD600 for a while now in anticipation of receiving the Hornet that I got only yesterday. It was Ray's personal advise and other Head-Fi recommendations that led me to pick up the HD600. While I can tell this is a great can, I'm not so sure it is what I'm looking for. Things I'm not thrilled about with the HD600:
  • Large cups. The Bose Triport, while not nearly as accurate sounding as the HD600, is QUITE comfortable on my head.
  • Lack of bass impact. Especially with the Hornet: there is no doubt these have good, solid bass. But it doesn't have the thumping impact that my Triports have. I am mostly sure this is simply due to the open nature of the HD600 -- you lose the IMPACT.

I seem to need to turn the volume up way high to feel the music the way I want to. The E500's are oh-so satisfying in this regard. I can even listen at low/moderate volumes and enjoy the music the way I want. Again, I'm pretty sure the HD600's let me down here simply because of their open design.

So, I'm asking you folks what I should try for my next can. I listen to a lot of different types of music, but mostly wide-ranging electronica: Drum 'n Bass, IDM, Ambient, Goa, Downtempo...

I was reading today about Denon's offerings. I'm currently most interested in the D2000's. (D5000's don't seem to warrant the extra cash.) But I'm also curious if Audio-Technica, AKG, or anyone else has anything to offer me. The $300 price tag on the D2000's is appealing, but I could maybe spend up to $500-600 if they were really going to impress me.

So where's my thumpy, accurate bass at?

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 34
@Wildcard30: That is an excellent point. One which I am well aware of. However, the more I read about the D2000, the more I'm thinking they might be my next headphone.
eggosmile.gif

I will, however, do my best to hold off doing anything for 17 days.
smily_headphones1.gif

And thanks for the ideas, everyone!

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 34
I'm not sure what the differences are between the D2k and D5k but I am very very pleased with my D5k's and have been using them exclusivly with my Hornet. I'll be reporting back on their synergy with the AE-2 when I get it but as far as the things you are looking for the Denons should hit the mark.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what the differences are between the D2k and D5k but I am very very pleased with my D5k's and have been using them exclusivly with my Hornet. I'll be reporting back on their synergy with the AE-2 when I get it but as far as the things you are looking for the Denons should hit the mark.

According to what I'm reading on the D2000 thread, the D5000's extend a bit higher and are a bit snappier in the high end. Apart from the obvious use of wood rather than plastic for the housings, the differences aren't too great afaict...

Edit: And the D5000 apparently has a slightly thicker wire which someone implied might make it a touch less tangle prone, but the cables on these headphones do not seem well-liked.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say go beyer 770/80

bass haven.

i also have a pair that might be willing to be sold as well
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd take the Denon's over the Beyers in a heartbeat... even the Darths have their work cut out for them against the Denons IMO. The W11JPN is the only other sub $1k closed can that I would say can compete and likely best the Denons.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd take the Denon's over the Beyers in a heartbeat... even the Darths have their work cut out for them against the Denons IMO. The W11JPN is the only other sub $1k closed can that I would say can compete and likely best the Denons.

well if you put it that way, then i'd have to say the the beyers are near indestructible.

i'd be too scared to scratch the nice finish on the denons
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 34
I love my 990/Hornet combo. I had a chance to listen briefly to the 770s w/ a Hornet at a recent meet, and while the 770 certainly brings the boom, the bass on the 990 is (IMHO) "better" (faster, less flabby and bloated etc.). That might fit the bill for the OPs request for "thumpy, accurate bass". I have also (at meets) paired my Hornet w/ DT880s, HD600s, HD650s, K701s, SR225s, and RS1s. To my ears, the 990s competed in the bass department w/ all those cans when powered by the Hornet.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 34
can someone link me to info on the hornet?

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 34
..I have beyers and a go-vibe vs5 in the mail. They're pretty slammin but I want the most out of em.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back