bassy canalphones!
Jul 26, 2005 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

underdogg

100+ Head-Fier
i know the sony series of canalphones have lots of bass, are there anymore canalphones that do?

thx in advance
orphsmile.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by underdogg
i know the sony series of canalphones have lots of bass, are there anymore canalphones that do?

thx in advance
orphsmile.gif

UE Super.fi 5 Pro and, if you really want to be overhelmed, UE Super.fi 5 EB (as in Extra Bass). For something cheaper you may try Shure E2c.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 22
Sub $100 I would suggest the Future Sonics EM3's. They are my commuter phones and they absolutely match well with my on the run taste for bass. For sit down, I have heard some good things about the Super.fi pros and I heard if you're nuts about bass the EB model is out of control. Out of experience though, I would say try the EM3's or if you have a bit more coin in your pocket the Shure E5's have a fair amount of bass in them...overall sound quality is definitely commensurate for the extra $$$ you spend on them. If you have extra Franklins burning a hole in your pocket the UE10's are almost bullet proof and provides enough bass for anything I want to listen to. I say audition as many as you can and see what jives with your taste. And watch out for your wallet...Head-fi is watching you....
600smile.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 22
The Westone UM2's are supposed to be quite bassy, too. They and the Shure E5c's are often said to sound similar and actually share origins...

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 22
the super.fi has as much bass as i would want.
any more, and it'd probably be too much.
with that said, i really can't understand why it wouldn't be enough for some people to have the need for the EB.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 22
Koss - The Plug
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 22
thx a lot for all the suggestions!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

i was actually looking for something a bit cheaper - like 45$ CAN max. i heard the panasonic rphje50 or sumthin sounded really good but had poor construction.

i also heard about the nexxtech in-ears. not sure about those.

any help at all w/ this?
confused.gif

thx
orphsmile.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by underdogg

thx in advance
orphsmile.gif

Try the Sony EX71, lots of bass, too much actually. They are cheap too.

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildeone
superb bass, lot's of air, and soundstage to boot. you can almost feel the sub....

From what i've heard, the shure e5's certainly do have bass, but IEM's in general don't have much soundstage at all in my experience. And how could they, they're lodged in your ear canal. Not trying to be confrontational here, but to advertise any canalphone as having an airy soundstage is misleading unless of course you're only comparing them to other canalphones.

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
From what i've heard, the shure e5's certainly do have bass, but IEM's in general don't have much soundstage at all in my experience. And how could they, they're lodged in your ear canal. Not trying to be confrontational here, but to advertise any canalphone as having an airy soundstage is misleading unless of course you're only comparing them to other canalphones.

Have you heard the Super.Fi 5 Pros? A few people that have owned/heard them have said that they do have a fairly large soundstage, especially for a set of IEMs. I think part of this is due to the larger bore design as opposed to the smaller bores traditionally used in canalphones.

IME, the UM2 has a larger soundstage than the E4 and ER-4P/S. It's still not up to par with the soundstage of something like a HD 580, but it's decent as far as canalphones go.

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
Not trying to be confrontational here, but to advertise any canalphone as having an airy soundstage is misleading unless of course you're only comparing them to other canalphones.

stand corrected. yes, indeed, i was comparing them to other canalphones only.... at the same time, i've grown quite addicted to the canalphones and find myself preferring the experience of using them to normal headphones right now so i was quite delighted that there was any soundstage at all!

underdogg: as for good bass in an inexpensive phone, the sony's definitely have it. not much else, but the bass is there and loud. for a little more money, you can go with the shure e2's. great bass and better sounding, imo, and the construction is solid. less comfortable though the larger nozzle allows for an almost foolproof seal.... have not heard the panasonics so i can't comment.

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 22
IME, the ultimate ears (super.fi pro and super.fi EB) provide the largest soundstage and uncongested/compressed sound out of an universal fit iem. They are not the best sounding iems, but they do excell in some areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back