Bassiest Open Headphones
Mar 17, 2008 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Kel Ghu

100+ Head-Fier
Heys guys,

I just found out that I am a basshead... I love the sound of my AKG K701 and Sennheiser HD650. But their bass is still too weak to me... My AKG K81DJ has very powerful bass, but it is too muddy and it is not a full size high-end open headphones I want to use at home.

I need a pair of very very bassy open headphones. My budget is something like $500.

Thank you for your help!

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 44
Yeah, HD650 and K701 have great bass quality and are deep, but what I need is more volume natively. I can play with the EQ, but the volume is still too low or the sound ends up somehow... hmm wrong. I don't know how to say it. Maybe boomy is the word... I just want more bass!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 44
If I were seeking a really bassy open headphone, I would probably make some inquiries about the Ultrasone PROline 2500. Just a thought, hoping someone who owns one of these can comment further.

Now I'll go quietly back to my Grado SR 225, which I will not recommend as a bassy headphone
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, HD650 and K701 have great bass quality and are deep, but what I need is more volume natively. I can play with the EQ, but the volume is still too low or the sound ends up somehow... hmm wrong. I don't know how to say it. Maybe boomy is the word... I just want more bass!
smily_headphones1.gif

K701s have decent bass quality but have anemic bass quantity IMO.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 44
Why not just equalize?
I use replaygain so when I listen to rap or any bass heavy music I up the low frequencies and works really good.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just equalize?
I use replaygain so when I listen to rap or any bass heavy music I up the low frequencies and works really good.

equalizer tends to distort sound too much IMO on most setups - I usually play everything flat with no sound effects etc

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
equalizer tends to distort sound too much IMO on most setups - I usually play everything flat with no sound effects etc

Then it is a cheap or poorly implemented equalizer. Even some software eq's (like that in iTunes) are susceptible to clipping with tracks that are already pushing the edge of clipping. Using replaygain/mp3gain/aacgain to take them down to an album average of 89 db fixes this.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but some tracks really do sound basstastic out of a k701 - The hidden track on infest by papa roach for example (nice dub bassline). Flipping on something like the generic R&B eq will make your eyes pop out.... with a k701. Others just don't seem to have a lot of bass content, so even heavy eq doesn't help all that much.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 44
I've always heard the DT990 has plenty of bass.

I've also read plenty of posts stating that the AD2000's bass is fantastic, since there's a lot of it, but it's also extremely good quality bass, or something.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 44
Sounds like the Ultrasone PROLine 2500 should do it, uh?
My source and amp are a Headamp Pico, playing with mostly CDs and FLAC. I spent $500 on that and I don't feel like spending more on an amp for now.
I'll try replaygain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back