Basshead question: which pair of cans have the strongest bass impact??
Jan 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

sneaglebob

100+ Head-Fier
Before I begin, I would like to say one thing:Yes I KNOW BEATS ARE HATED ON THIS FORUM but read on please

I want to know which one of these headphones have a stronger bass, the beats pro or the ultrasone pro 900.

And if you can, can you name any headphones that have a bass much stronger than beats pro/studio. Sorry for bringing up this up and thanks for the replies.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 33
It depends on what you're asking for "stronger". I haven't seen a frequency response graph for the beats, but they should have a bit more bass. That said, the pro 900 has a lot of bass and it will be of better quality. Also, the pro 900 will be a better headphone all around. If you're seriously considering those 2 options, it seems like it would be silly to pick the beats because they have a little more bass, unless you just do not care about actual sound quality.

The general consensus on Beats is that they are decent headphones for people that like that particular sound signature. The problem is they tend to be considered too expensive for what they offer. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 33
i heard the studio hd beats when i was using ath-m50 and i laughed...they are seriously so sloppy. the mids were distorting on normal tracks. i was in shock that people actually pay that much for them. they have the most recessed highs ive ever heard. 

i have the pro900s and would never trade them for beats

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 33
here is where I got the info about the ultrasone pro 900, from an audiophile rant/review against beats pro by a user review by crinacle on Cnet

"I will re-emphasise again, THESE ARE OVERPRICED. I can name a hundred or so headphones that does what these do just as good and even BETTER and just a quarter of the price. I'll be wasting my time naming all these headphones, but I'll pick out 5 of my favourites: 

5. Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro 80 Ohm Edition. A good entry-level bass king, the DT770 provides boomy sub-bass that vibrates your entire skull. Again, these beat the Beats Pro by a mile in terms of overall clarity as well as bass quantity, at a cheaper price as well. 

4. Ultrasone HFI-580. Having the same amount of bass at a quarter of the Beats Pro's price, it's a killer. Even so, the quality of the bass in the HFI-580 far surpasses the Beats Pro's, being tighter, punchier and clearer than the latter. What's overpriced now? 

3. Audio Technica Pro700 MKII. A relatively new headphone in the market, the Pro700 beats, bashes and mashes the Beats Pro every every aspect you and think of. Bass? One of the best. Mids? No contest really. Highs, come on, any headphone other than Skullcandy or Bose can beat the Beats Pro. 

2. Sony XB1000. Or as I would like to call them, "GIANT FLUFFEH PILLOWS OF AWESHUM BASSSS XD"! But in all seriousness, the Sony XB series are notorious for its earthshaking, diarrhoea-inducing bass, which will put any Beats headphone to shame with a thump of a drum, literally. 

1. Ultrasone Pro900. Absolutely godly and reigns king supreme in the bass department. No other headphones can ever DREAM of trying to beat the Pro900 in terms of bass quality. If you love the Beats Pro, the Pro900 will re-educate you, no holds barred. Strap two mini-subwoofers to your head and VOILA! Pro900. 

Granted that the Beats Pro aren't terrible headphones, I would rush for them if they were priced at $100. Unfortunately, they instead cost a whopping $400, a price in which only the stupid, cliche consumers would be sucked into. 
Don't be a stupid consumer. Get better headphones."

Read more: [size=inherit]http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/the-beats-pro-by/4505-7877_7-34210289.html#ixzz1kpMjdyK1[/size]

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 33

Excellent bang for your buck ~ 'Ultrasone Pro 550 and Fiio E11 portable amplifier. Tight, plentiful bass and
 a big sound all round.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
here is where I got the info about the ultrasone pro 900, from an audiophile rant/review against beats pro by a user review by crinacle on Cnet

That review was written by Head-Fi'er Crinacle. Check this page for more rants against beats. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540242/getting-called-out-for-not-wearing-the-beats/3570

The Beats Pro's bass is really strong IMO, but I haven't heard the PRO900 so I can't really comment on it. Just about any headphone will have more sub bass than the Beats Studio since its sub bass is very rolled off.

Quote:

Excellent bang for your buck ~ 'Ultrasone Pro 550 and Fiio E11 portable amplifier. Tight, plentiful bass and
 a big sound all round.

PRO550 ? Aren't they the same as the DJ1 PRO ? I have the DJ1 PRO and it doesn't have nearly as much bass as the Beats Pro, at least coming out of an iPod.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 33

Quote:

PRO550 ? Aren't they the same as the DJ1 PRO ? I have the DJ1 PRO and it doesn't have nearly as much bass as the Beats Pro, at least coming out of an iPod.

Perhaps not but it's quality bass when amped by a simple little E11 ~ totally, flat and lifeless without the support amp though, much like the DJ1
~ yep, they should be the same headphone.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 33

Quote:

a big sound all round.

While I can't say much about that specific pairing, the frequency response for the 550 doesn't have anywhere near the amount of bass he's asking for. It has a somewhat similar (slightly lower) profile for the bass than the HFI-780 which I definitely don't think are really bass heavy. Not to say that's a bad recommendation, but probably not what the OP wants.

The Beats might have the sound profile you're looking for. That said, I'd imagine you would enjoy something else unless the Beats are just perfect for you. You'll be able to get something with similar amounts of bass but it will be MUCH more detailed. Most of the recommendations listed so far are pretty good. They'll at least have similar amounts of bass as well as quality sound.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 33
The Beats Pro don't have an insane bass boost, the Inner Fidelity review regarded them as "wooly" but the term "matter-of-fact" was also used in describing the presentation. My short audition with them didn't leave me thinking "wow! these are bass boosted!" but it wasn't under ideal conditions; for all I know they are. 

The Ultrasone on the other hand...

I would say the Kenwood KH-K1000 is the headphone the Beats Pro want to be (fairly leveled-off, smooth, good extension and impact, comfortable, well put together). The Ultrasone are above and beyond that in terms of bass but get screwy as the frequency goes up (at least imho). The XB1000 would be the only other thing I'd contend, but I haven't heard them (I'm just going based on the silly specs; 70mm drivers, something like 3W/side, sealed design). The Denon AH-Ds aren't bad either, but they can sound flabby and potentially harsh. Soundstage suffers too (at least compared to the Ultrasone with S-LOGIC, and the Kenwood with angled drivers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back