Basshead looking for stylish headphones $500+-
May 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tdshain

100+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine recently bought a pair of the beats detox. He claims it was mostly for style and he believes that they are the best combination of looks/sq for the price.

I've known a lot of people who have purchased different products from the beats lineup in the past. Almost all of them have had serious issues with build quality (broken headband, failing drivers, etc). Also, it's been my experience that they are way overpriced for the sound, but I understand that some people are willing to pay more for a label (a lot of mac users in this category).

Anyhow, I'm really only familiar with iems so I was hoping some people could offer up some full-size alternatives to the beats (it's still within the 30 day money back period).

Requirements:

They have to be all black and very stylish

Good for basshead (he mentioned that he liked the elevated bass of the beats)

Good build quality and warranty 

Price isn't an issue as long as you believe that it's a better value than the beats. He would most likely be willing to spend as much as $1500, but I would like to see suggestions in different price ranges.

May 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 25
If he likes them, why not stay with them? The Pros, relabeled as Detox for the edgy black color, are pretty good sounding; not for the money, of course, but for $200 they're very good.

That being said, I don't know of any full-sized headphones that have an emphasized bass, and are completely black that are $500+...

May 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 25
Maybe Denon D2000? They're not completely black, but the only parts that aren't are matte silver. But hey, they're only ~$250!

May 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 25
Taking the Denon Dx000 line-up out of the equation due to build quality issues, perhaps the Ultrasone Pro 900 would be suitable. It's all black, with silver circles on the side, they're one of THE basshead headphones, great build quality and customer support is good as well.

May 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 25
If you need them for looks, I'm going to have to assume that you're going to use them for outside use, and if you want them for outside use specifically, you're just trying to show off. I still choose to deny the fact that Headphones can be an "accessory" because I feel that is the wrong use for such craftsmanship. And if you're going to pay $500 for a HP just to take outside to listen to music and use it as a piece of fashion, why not get an IEM or CIEM even? Audeo PFE 232 is a perfect example. Looks stylish (negotiable) and sounds down right awesome. Sorry if I sound rude or anything, but I am against the idea of using an headphone as a fashion accessory, even if it's not intended that way.

May 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:
If he likes them, why not stay with them? The Pros, relabeled as Detox for the edgy black color, are pretty good sounding; not for the money, of course, but for $200 they're very good.

That being said, I don't know of any full-sized headphones that have an emphasized bass, and are completely black that are $500+...

Because, more than half of the beats owners I know had driver failure within the first 6 months. I hate to see a friend get ripped off, beats feels like a scam to me. Even the best sounding and most stylish headphones in the world are worthless without good build quality. 

May 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Because, more than half of the beats owners I know had driver failure within the first 6 months. I hate to see a friend get ripped off, beats feels like a scam to me. Even the best sounding and most stylish headphones in the world are worthless without good build quality. 

I see you are a good friend but I have tried doing what you have done with a lot of my friends as well... It just doesn't work that well unfortunately, especially with my youth friends (because i'm still 18). A lot of my friends just say most of the HPs I recommend don't look that "sick". Even with them agreeing with me on terms of SQ, most of them don't buy others than Beats because they want that "Beats" status... Ridiculous world out there, especially in the youth society

May 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:
If you need them for looks, I'm going to have to assume that you're going to use them for outside use, and if you want them for outside use specifically, you're just trying to show off. I still choose to deny the fact that Headphones can be an "accessory" because I feel that is the wrong use for such craftsmanship. And if you're going to pay $500 for a HP just to take outside to listen to music and use it as a piece of fashion, why not get an IEM or CIEM even? Audeo PFE 232 is a perfect example. Looks stylish (negotiable) and sounds down right awesome. Sorry if I sound rude or anything, but I am against the idea of using an headphone as a fashion accessory, even if it's not intended that way.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I personally will only use iems, because I don't like to draw attention to myself when listening to music.

I can't speak for my friend, I think he wanted black because it's not overly flashy and I know he prefers full-sized headphones. I'm not sure if he sees it as a fashion statement or not, but I understand that he wouldn't want to walk around in public with something that looks tacky.

May 2, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

I see you are a good friend but I have tried doing what you have done with a lot of my friends as well... It just doesn't work that well unfortunately, especially with my youth friends (because i'm still 18). A lot of my friends just say most of the HPs I recommend don't look that "sick". Even with them agreeing with me on terms of SQ, most of them don't buy others than Beats because they want that "Beats" status... Ridiculous world out there, especially in the youth society

I agree that especially among the younger crowd, it's hard to get people to look past the logo (b in this case). However, this particular friend is an adult and will most likely take my suggestions to heart, as long as they are well-researched.

May 2, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

well beats are a rip off, even the pros dont sound as good as $150 ultrasone hifi 550.

May 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 25
well beats are a rip off, even the pros dont sound as good as $150 ultrasone hifi 550.

Lol okay. I've heard everything up to the Denon D7000, bass 'phones wise, and can honestly say that for $150 the Pros are a steal. They don't require a portable amp to sound their best, which can't be said for most high-end headphones. And we are talking about portability here. I'm not to sure his friend wants to lug around an amp...

I honestly can't think of any portable full-sized that doesn't require amping that is above $500. If we are talking below that, there's the D2000, but those aren't really portable...

May 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
A friend of mine recently bought a pair of the beats detox. He claims it was mostly for style and he believes that they are the best combination of looks/sq for the price.

I've known a lot of people who have purchased different products from the beats lineup in the past. Almost all of them have had serious issues with build quality (broken headband, failing drivers, etc). Also, it's been my experience that they are way overpriced for the sound, but I understand that some people are willing to pay more for a label (a lot of mac users in this category).

Anyhow, I'm really only familiar with iems so I was hoping some people could offer up some full-size alternatives to the beats (it's still within the 30 day money back period).

Requirements:

They have to be all black and very stylish

Good for basshead (he mentioned that he liked the elevated bass of the beats)

Good build quality and warranty 

Price isn't an issue as long as you believe that it's a better value than the beats. He would most likely be willing to spend as much as $1500, but I would like to see suggestions in different price ranges.

Heya,

The Ultrasone PRO 900 might just be an option here. It's rugged, tank like, portable, very stylish, and provides a ton of bass. I would pair it with a Fiio E11. Comes with a hard carry case and multiple cords that are detachable and everything.

Very best,

May 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
Heya,

The Ultrasone PRO 900 might just be an option here. It's rugged, tank like, portable, very stylish, and provides a ton of bass. I would pair it with a Fiio E11. Comes with a hard carry case and multiple cords that are detachable and everything.

Very best,

+1 awesome headphones for bass lovers, very deep bass but not really overpowering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back