Basshead looking for stylish headphones $500+-
May 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:
If you need them for looks, I'm going to have to assume that you're going to use them for outside use, and if you want them for outside use specifically, you're just trying to show off. I still choose to deny the fact that Headphones can be an "accessory" because I feel that is the wrong use for such craftsmanship. And if you're going to pay $500 for a HP just to take outside to listen to music and use it as a piece of fashion, why not get an IEM or CIEM even? Audeo PFE 232 is a perfect example. Looks stylish (negotiable) and sounds down right awesome. Sorry if I sound rude or anything, but I am against the idea of using an headphone as a fashion accessory, even if it's not intended that way.

I can understand where your coming from but why do headphones HAVE to look terrible to sound good? The ultrasone signature pro's posted in this thread for example, they look terrible. There are a lot of headphones out there that look unnecessarily bad, as if the designers have gone out of their way to make the headphones look as crap and plain as possible. 

It's like food for example. Some may think it's completely pointless in making food look good when it's just going to go into your stomach anyway. And for cheap food I agree. But when you start paying more, you expect more in all areas. Not just the taste, but presentation as well. If I gave you a plate that looks like a pile of sick and said it's the best tasting food in the world you'd still have trouble eating it.

May 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:
I can understand where your coming from but why do headphones HAVE to look terrible to sound good? The ultrasone signature pro's posted in this thread for example, they look terrible. There are a lot of headphones out there that look unnecessarily bad, as if the designers have gone out of their way to make the headphones look as crap and plain as possible. 

It's like food for example. Some may think it's completely pointless in making food look good when it's just going to go into your stomach anyway. And for cheap food I agree. But when you start paying more, you expect more in all areas. Not just the taste, but presentation as well. If I gave you a plate that looks like a pile of sick and said it's the best tasting food in the world you'd still have trouble eating it.

I love this haha. My thoughts exactly :)

May 5, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 25

True and I understand exactly what you're saying. However, I feel I have been misunderstood. I don't believe headphones have to look terrible to sound good at all. I'm just sick of people representing a headphone as a piece of fashion. I'm sure you all seen one of those people on head-fi that refuses to buy a headphone because it won't look "cool" on them in public. I remember seeing someone on head-fi saying they refuse to buy HD25s because they don't look cool enough for portable use (even though the person understood it's a fantastic sounding HP). Just ridiculous how people put style before sound in headphone selection now. This has nothing to do with the OP and his friend. And also i'm not saying that his friend is like what mentioned above. Cheers

May 5, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:
True and I understand exactly what you're saying. However, I feel I have been misunderstood. I don't believe headphones have to look terrible to sound good at all. I'm just sick of people representing a headphone as a piece of fashion. I'm sure you all seen one of those people on head-fi that refuses to buy a headphone because it won't look "cool" on them in public. I remember seeing someone on head-fi saying they refuse to buy HD25s because they don't look cool enough for portable use (even though the person understood it's a fantastic sounding HP). Just ridiculous how people put style before sound in headphone selection now. This has nothing to do with the OP and his friend. And also i'm not saying that his friend is like what mentioned above. Cheers

Those people are very rare on head-fi though no? I haven't come across anyone like that, probably because I haven't been here long but I'm guessing the ones that would say things like that are the newcomers, who don't understand what Head-fi is about. After they do more research they'll come to appreciate headphones based on sound first and appearance close to last.

May 5, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Hmm the Signature Pro is the best looking Ultrasone to me.. = =

I do agree that sound is not necessarily to be the most important aspect to consider for a good headphone.

May 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #21 of 25
If you have a fullsize headphone on your head you will look like a dork.
If you have a fullsize headphone on your head while walking somewhere you will look even more like a dork.
Any headphone, of any style.
Most smaller headphones look dorky too.

Fullsize == dork. Learn it. Accept it. Believe it.

Go IEMS or embrace your inner dork.

Yeah.

May 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 25
Those people are very rare on head-fi though no? I haven't come across anyone like that, probably because I haven't been here long but I'm guessing the ones that would say things like that are the newcomers, who don't understand what Head-fi is about. After they do more research they'll come to appreciate headphones based on sound first and appearance close to last.

Not just head-fi. People in the real world have those thoughts. A friend of mine asked me for advice once... ONCE. He asked what HPs have the best style to performance ratio for portable use. I immediately said the Beyer DT1350 because it is a good looking HP IMO and they sound pretty good. He turned it down because it looked "geeky" and got a Beats Solo HD. This is the real world... Sad..

May 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
Not just head-fi. People in the real world have those thoughts. A friend of mine asked me for advice once... ONCE. He asked what HPs have the best style to performance ratio for portable use. I immediately said the Beyer DT1350 because it is a good looking HP IMO and they sound pretty good. He turned it down because it looked "geeky" and got a Beats Solo HD. This is the real world... Sad..

Well yeah the real world is always going to think like that, it's a given. I thought you were referring to members of this forum. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back