Basshead: Denon D5000 vs. D2000?
Nov 14, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Orcin (at the recent Houston head-fi meet) did not like my Darth Beyers at all because there was way too much bass for him but he did like the D2000s - and in fact bought a pair [of recabled D2000s] after the meet.
darthsmile.gif

Yep, all true. I thought the Darth Beyers were so bassy that it overshadowed the midrange and vocals. That could be exactly what the OP is looking for though.

My D2000's aren't ready for prime time yet (still burning in) but they sound very promising. I think they have a substantial bass impact that adds to the presentation rather than dominating it like the woodies. (I did recable but otherwise they are stock).

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My D2000's aren't ready for prime time yet (still burning in) but they sound very promising. I think they have a substantial bass impact that adds to the presentation rather than dominating it like the woodies. (I did recable but otherwise they are stock).

Darn.... I was just going to ask you how they are working out.
wink_face.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 30
I installed the woodies and stuffed my earpads on my APS V2 cabled D2000, and the sound is much improved! The missing upper mids and midrange detail filled in nicely as markl promised, and the bass is still quite strong. And about 50% of the boosted lower mids that make female vocals sound close mic'd got better, without using any fiberloft inside the cups (with dynamat still lining the inside of the Mahogany cups). Makes me happy that I canceled my order for some D5000 on Monday. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...ml#post4993051

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #19 of 30
Larry, you should add about the cups to your MD5000 Delux review. If you want to know the effect of stuffing the cups, you can get a bit of an idea just holding the cups slightly off your ears I expect.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I installed the woodies and stuffed my earpads on my APS V2 cabled D2000, and the sound is much improved!

Would love to see some pics of it
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #22 of 30
Thanks for the info guys. Some good info in there. Let me see if I can get a bit more specific with my questions.

1) Do darths have MORE bass than stock 770's?

2) Can the d2000 put out as much bass as a 770 with enough eq-ing, even at relatively high volumes? I know its response curve is more flat stock, therefore it's not considered as bassy, but the fact that it shows no low frequency rolloff is promising.

And yes, I definitely don't mind a little distortion, and I think it's clear that I don't want a "natural" balance in terms of bass. So if you make suggestions to fix either of those at the expense of bass quantity, you'll just confuse me
smily_headphones1.gif

It really sucks that I can't find a d2000 to audition anywhere in LA.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info guys. Some good info in there. Let me see if I can get a bit more specific with my questions.

2) Can the d2000 put out as much bass as a 770 with enough eq-ing, even at relatively high volumes? I know its response curve is more flat stock, therefore it's not considered as bassy, but the fact that it shows no low frequency rolloff is promising.

And yes, I definitely don't mind a little distortion, and I think it's clear that I don't want a "natural" balance in terms of bass. So if you make suggestions to fix either of those at the expense of bass quantity, you'll just confuse me
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the darths have finer tuned bass (not so sure about MORE though) but I haven't heard stock DT770s in a while.

By the way, I heard a pretty heavily modded D2000 at a meet recently.

Woodied D2000

They were definitely darker sounding than the stock D2000s which may or may not be what you are looking for. [I don't remember if they had the "thumping bass" like the DT770s though.] I preferred the sound of stock D2000s, they sounded more transparent to me (although the woodies were absolutely beautiful!).

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

My D2000 can put out ungodly amounts of deep bass effortlessly, while the V3 Darths I had were boomy and colored sounding.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #27 of 30
Denons will go very low into the bass regions, but you may need good amping for that to really happen.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #28 of 30
Why do you guys say that the cmoyBB is not a good enough amp? I did notice that it can't drive worth **** from less than a 12v power source, but with my new 18v adapter I haven't overloaded it yet, and I still have 6 volts of headroom if I really need it before it blows
biggrin.gif
Are you sure you're not basing your judgement on running the cmoy off a 9v battery? That's worse than no amp at all in my experience.

The reason for better phones is that my current Sony really doesn't give me what I want even with equalization, and I need comfortable new headphones with good bass. The Sony is definitely comfortable, and the Denon dj is definitely bassy, now I just need the combo. Comfortable is a huge issue as I wear them all day at work. Does that make it clearer?

If I find that the cmoy can't drive the d2000, I'll have to look for a better amp. I don't know if it will balk at the low impedance of the d2000. Let me know if you have specific info.

But let's disregard that for now and answer the basic questions 1) and 2)
wink.gif
As an aside feel free to suggest better affordable amps.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #29 of 30
Your amp shouldn't have trouble with the denons already but like all the headphones you can always improve their sound with better equipment later.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #30 of 30
I just plugged my Denons into my Corda Move again today (to test the result of Roxboxing it) and I was quite impressed with the sound (powered by a 9V battery that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back