:basshead: Amp/Soundcard for DT770/80 Pro
Jul 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

influx.

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My DT770's arrived yesterday and after boosting the bass with Volume Logic I can definately see how people say these headphones can really reach those low bass lines without distortion. They sound awesome! What I'm looking for now is to find out whether I'd benefit more from an amp or a soundcard.

Currently I'm playing these unamped, and with onboard sound, yet they still sound fan-****ing-tastic, a lot like a 12-15" sub. I mainly listen to bass heavy music such as hip hop and DnB. I'll be using these mostly for my PC so that's where the question comes in to which would be best for me. A soundcard such as X-Fi Prelude or some sort of bass heavy amp? Just to improve the bass quality even more at higher levels.

On a side note, would it damage the drivers if I am burning them in (while listening) at max volume with boosted bass unamped, contrary to there being no distortion?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 12
I had the DT 770/80 on their own for a couple of months. They sound better and better as you burn them in. I am not sure if playing at max volume will damage the drivers as you burn them in but personally I would err on the side of caution for the first 10-15 hrs. I bought an amp a few weeks ago (Corda Move) and it has improved the bass control and the mids are a bit more forward. It also provides more power so you also get more volume. I like to know that there is more volume available than I need!

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 12
I wouldn't burn them in at max volumes, that just might be too much. It is often recommended to burn in headphones at a bit higher than normal listening volumes. FWIW I saw my old dt770/80s change around 70 hours of burn-in. The bass became noticeably deeper, the mids less grainy and more up front.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 12
my x-fi drives my 770s just fine.

I do add +4db to the lower 2 bands using the creative EQ. I find that creative sound cards are pretty flat and boring without some EQ on the low end.

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 12
Yeah I have some Realtek EQ which holds pretty much no comparison to Volume Logic.

I boost the bass almost all the way up so I guess a Corda Move amp would fit my needs for bass heavy music and produce more bass with even better quality? I suppose it would be much like an amp for a sub. Or should I consider a soundcard instead?

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my x-fi drives my 770s just fine.

I do add +4db to the lower 2 bands using the creative EQ. I find that creative sound cards are pretty flat and boring without some EQ on the low end.

If you have to add bass to the DT770, there is something seriously wrong with your music or your soundcard. Or you're just an utter basshead.

Have a look at the Emu 0404 USB. It'll do soundcard and amp. and sounds really quite good.

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmozilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have to add bass to the DT770, there is something seriously wrong with your music or your soundcard. Or you're just an utter basshead.

Have a look at the Emu 0404 USB. It'll do soundcard and amp. and sounds really quite good.

Then I guess there is something seriously wrong with all creative cards then. I have had audigy 1, audigy 2, and now x-fi and all of them have a really flat and boring sound with no EQ. But since I'm a gamer, there is no other card I'm going to go with.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I guess there is something seriously wrong with all creative cards then. I have had audigy 1, audigy 2, and now x-fi and all of them have a really flat and boring sound with no EQ. But since I'm a gamer, there is no other card I'm going to go with.

lol theres always somebody on all audio forums to crap on eq usage. music is recored mid-range heavy so that it plays on any old lousy sound system.thats why peeps like v or smile shaped eq settings. thats also why we change our op-amps and our tubes and our speakers, etc

i also use an x-fi. an x-fi puts out about as much power as a portable amp. and ive tried many. my x-fi will make mt dt770s vibrate with bass if i want them to!
you really want a new sound card since onboard audio is generally terrible quality-even the good onboard audio lacks the nice extreme hi and low notes a decent sound card gives you.or maybe even a usb dac

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol theres always somebody on all audio forums to crap on eq usage. music is recored mid-range heavy so that it plays on any old lousy sound system.thats why peeps like v or smile shaped eq settings. thats also why we change our op-amps and our tubes and our speakers, etc

i also use an x-fi. an x-fi puts out about as much power as a portable amp. and ive tried many. my x-fi will make mt dt770s vibrate with bass if i want them to!
you really want a new sound card since onboard audio is generally terrible quality-even the good onboard audio lacks the nice extreme hi and low notes a decent sound card gives you.or maybe even a usb dac

agreed. all of my discrete sound cards sounded significantly better than my portable amp on battery power (Go-vibe 5) and almost as good as the GV5 with the elpac.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 12
I realise this would probably get more attention in one of the amp forums, so if someone can move it there would be sweet.

How would a X-Fi Prelude/Xplosion soundcard compare to a Corda Move amp?

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 12
I used EMU 0404 USB (with internal headphones amp) for my DT770 Pro 80.
I buy new Darkvoice lamp amp not long ago (I consider to buy new HD6XX).
SQ of DT770 very improves to use new Darkvoice amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back