Bass Test songs --- my recommendations
Jan 15, 2004 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

harkamus

500+ Head-Fier
I keep reading threads about burning in and using bass heavy music. This got me interested to post my favorite songs for either burning in or for all you other fellow bassheads. I'd also like to see other people's recommendations

So...here goes.

-Bass Mechanics - Deep Ass Bass song (this one is a bass test song...I don't have the frequency range, but I believe it goes quite low)
-Dido - Do You Have A Little Time (right at around 2:20 there's a very low bass track) --- I use this one kind of as a benchmark.
-Big Boi Intro from Outkast: Speakerboxxx cd (pretty good bass here)
-Big Boi - Ghetto Musick (very fast, punchy bass)
-Lil Jon - Move Bit*h (I found this one to have a lot of really loud bass)
-Ying Yang Twins - Get Low
-Ying Yang Twins - Salt Shaker
-Ying Yang Twins - Say I Yi Yi (at about 3:50 a lot of low bass starts playing)
-DJ Tiesto - Cry for Love
-Rob Zombie - Reload (periodical bass bump)
-Chemical Brothers - Come With Us (Galaxy Bounce???)
-Tool - Flood
-Avenged Sevenfold - Chapter Four
-Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy Confessions
-Avenged Sevenfold - Remenissions

The last 3 don't have too much bass. Most of these songs are rap, but hey...you have to admit that rap songs have the most outrageous bass. :p There are some techno/trance songs and a *few* metal songs.

Anyways, like I said, this was just to check the ability to reproduce bass in headphones. The Bass Mechanics song could probably do everything all of the other songs can do, since it's a frequency response test...but I don't enjoy listening to that one song over and over again.
wink.gif

So, what is everyone elses track list for bass songs, be it for listening
basshead.gif
or for burning in.

NOTE: I don't believe in burning in.

EDIT: I don't listen to rap mainly as the list may suggest. My favorite bands are Avenged Sevenfold, Machine Head, and Linkin Park.

Favorite song atm is My Immortal by Evanescence.

Jan 15, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 40
My favorite is:

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - "Flight of The Cosmic Hippo"

The Bassist Victor Wooten just go so incredibly low on this track, it will reveal any weaknesses in the reproduction of a clean natural bass from speakers or headphones.

B000002LOZ.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jan 15, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 40
Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo is a really good.

Also give Dadawa - Sister Drum a try if you can find it, some incredible drums that go reeeaaally low.

Jan 15, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo is a really good.

Also give Dadawa - Sister Drum a try if you can find it, some incredible drums that go reeeaaally low.

Dadawa? I will try to get a hand on that song.

By the way, the whole album "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" is excellent.

Jan 15, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 40
"Blues for Sister Someone" -- Lenny Kravitz, the entire "Let Love Rule" album, really.

Last half of "Abbey Road" -- The Beatles, in pariticular, the "montage" that closes out the album.

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 40
How about the THX Bass Test?

Jan 16, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Spiret
Dadawa? I will try to get a hand on that song.

I should warn you that if your system isn't capabable of reproducing low bass you'll still hear the drums but they will sound rather light weight. That may be because I'm used to what it should sound like though, on my W100's with the source I'm using right now there isn't much in that last octave so it doesn't have the same impact or weight that I'm used to hearing. It's still acceptable but I do know there is something missing that I usually heard with my Swan's.

The bass test I usually use is about 2 minutes in on track 2, the title track, the drums kick in and it's just incredible when completely captured. Not only can you test for extension but speed as well. There are also a few other tracks that have some big bass as well and a couple for massed vocals, space and air. Overall probably my best CD for all round testing. The last track in particular is great for the chill down the spine factor. Dadawa's vocals in this track are so powerful and emotional that it's astounding.

Jan 16, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Overall probably my best CD for all round testing. The last track in particular is great for the chill down the spine factor. Dadawa's vocals in this track are so powerful and emotional that it's astounding.

This sounds like a great album, I will definitively check into it. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 40
I should also mention, it's Tibetan. Kind of a mix of traditional and new.

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 40
Mickey Hart: Dafos. Recorded by Keith Johnson and released on Reference Recordings. The track "The Gates of Dafos" has a moment that an Abso!ute Sound reviewer measured as going down to 16 Hz. He described it as the aural equivalent of having a UPS truck crash through the wall of your living room, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back