Bass impact,subwoofer like headphones 100
Jul 16, 2005 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Aita

Head-Fier
ok i'm really in a pinch for time tryin to find some bass impact headphones before i take my 3 week trip so ill strip down my restrictions to jsut two things:

1. These headphones must have BASSS. Not guitar strumming bass i mean (excuse the rap example if you dont like this type of music but its mine and i like it) Lil John and the east side boys get low rumble your ears off of your head bass. I would like them to be tiny subwoofers on the side of my head. also would be nice if they played rock well (metallica some kind of monster would be a good example) Brand name matters not as i've heard great phones from JVC and Phillips (even Panasonic) so dont skip any brands plz. oh and it would be nice if they made the sony V300 and senn HD212's look like crap in the bass department. (i know thats asking alot but i KNOW it can be done)

2. They MUST be closed. i will be lying on the back seat of a Jeep while my father drives and listens to his reggae (dont get me wrong i like it but i cant take it 15 hours straight) These phones have to be isolated enough so that he cant hear my phones from the back seat (which i guess isnt much isolation but then again more insolation means more bass.....very general statement)

have to be under 110 because my car overheated and cracked a head so i have to spend over 200 to get it fixed (antifreeze leaked out like Niagra falls) before i go to college, which is why i'm lookin for headphones otherwise i would drive my car with 2 12" subwoofers pounding in the back. thanks again for all your great help guys

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 24
You're pretty much gonna get the same recommendation as above from everyone
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Just noticed you already posted a similar thread...I also think the V6s are a good second choice.

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 24
unless the mechanic can give me a break on the price im gonna be stuck with 110 so ill need some suggestions within that range. and yea thays pretty much what everyone else tells me but then than again the HD212's got such high reviews for being one of te more bassy headphones on the market and they couldnt keep up with my V300's......in bass which really matters (driven by iRiver CD/MP3 player, unamped(

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 24
Sorry to hear about your car. Can you really get a cracked head fixed for $200? (No bass head joke, really). I am assuming that you are doing the work yourself and just swapping for another head for that price. Just curious.

Suggestion is still the DT770. I had the pro version, and it had steroid enhanced bass. I have not heard the 80 ohm version. Second would be the Ultrasone HFI-650, then the Beyer DT250-250.

gerG

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 24
darnit im gonna have to find these darn headphones for my price because this is the 55th time those cans have been recommended. oh and gerg the car wil cost more than 200 the only reason i stopped at that number is that its all that i have to pay him right now but hes bein nice and will let me pay him later (since he knows where i work and my work knows where i live, and hes one of my jobs best customers Advance Auto Pats "we're readyin advance" srry had to do it hear it on the store TV at least 50 times a day

Jul 16, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 24
I would be careful here. I think you're setting yourself up for some dissappointment. Absolutely no headphone is going to give you impact like a sub. Beyers are regarded around here as basshead cans, but that is in comparison to other sets of headphones. The DT770 is nothing like a system with subs.

Having warned you; I think the best choice regarding your genre of music is a ex51 or ex71 by Sony paired with a small portable cmoy or similar. These have pretty 1D bass, but you'll enjoy them alot for rap.

Jul 16, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 24
I would have to agree with just about everyone else and say the DT770.They have deeper bass than any can that I have heard.

Jul 16, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 24
You guys hate sticking to budgets don't you.

I give another vote for the EX-51/EX-71. They give plenty of bass, you can be assured. Getting the DT-770's would just be a waste with your source equipment, not to mention you really don't get more comfortable than the EX- twins. There's absolutely no reason for you to spend more than $100 (especially, ESPECIALLY if you're young and on a tight budget) on a set of headphones just for bass, even moreso ones that pretty much need decent amping.

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
I would be careful here. I think you're setting yourself up for some dissappointment. Absolutely no headphone is going to give you impact like a sub. Beyers are regarded around here as basshead cans, but that is in comparison to other sets of headphones. The DT770 is nothing like a system with subs.

Having warned you; I think the best choice regarding your genre of music is a ex51 or ex71 by Sony paired with a small portable cmoy or similar. These have pretty 1D bass, but you'll enjoy them alot for rap.

I agree with this x1000

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 24
The DT770s really aren't basshead cans unamped. They're very power hungry little (big?) beasts. For rap, I'll second the EX71 recommendation. Or try the skullcrushers. I don't know anything about the skullcrushers except that they're marketted to people who want to have loud sloppy bass on their head.

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 24
Aita, cool, you know auto parts. I was just worried that you might be getting scammed. Good luck with the repair.

I thought of an alternative last night. Get a pair of Etymotic ER6i. They will not have the huge bass that you are looking for, but the isolation from road noise will make up for much of that. Some bass boost will cover the rest. In addition, buy or borrow as much different music as you can get your hands on for the trip. Make this a music exploration project along with the vacation. You might even be able to get your dad involved in the quest. There is so much great music in the world, it pains me when one of my friends admits that they only listen to the music that was popular when they were in school. Start warming up for school by studying some different types of music. It will make the trip go faster for you as well.

Sorry for the sermon. When you mentioned college it occurred to me that now is a great time to start broadening your perspective. When you get a chance sign up for a music appreciation course.

Have a great vacation.

gerG

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 24
If you are patient enough, 770/80 shows up on eBay fairly often. There have been at least two pairs in the last month or so (one today) that went for about $75.

EDIT - But as it has been stated, you really need a decent amp to get performance out of 770's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back