Bass impact: Beyerdynamic T5p gen2 vs others
Jul 25, 2020 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dimtrance

New Head-Fier
Living in a small town in Sweden, it is unfortunately impossible to try those amazing headphones, this community talks about, in order to decide which one is ”the one”.
A while ago i purchased the T5p 2nd gen (based on reviews) and i have been quite dissapointed, due to the fact that i feel they are very bright to my liking, with weak bass impact och kind of lacking the energy required to enjoy trance music.
Yes, i listen exclusively to trance (uplifting, progressive, techtrance and psy).
When using with my Fiio Q5s amp, even with the bass boost on, i just feel my bass-craving totally unfulfilled...
Same result with my dragonfly red.
I have read a lot about the meze 99, BD dt770, sony Z7 m2 etc etc. Given my experiences above what would you recommend? All recommendations are highly appreciated.
Budget not a problem, although it must be sth really mind-blowing special for me to exceed the $1000 limit.
Thanks in advance!

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Many times a good headphone will sound thin or lifeless if the amp is not giving the correct amount and type of power.

LCD-2C is a top choice and doesn't seem to need so much power but I can't recommend any fullsize headphones with a portable amp.

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 7
The Meze 99 Classics has a stronger mid-bass punch, and you'll be getting that rumble and slam that you crave. However, they are comparatively lacking in definition and resolution. They are also darker, with a scooped midrange and an attenuated treble presentation.

Like the Meze, the Sony Z7M2 has a somewhat prominent mid-bass hump, coupled with a rather scooped midrange, and some smooth and detailed treble. It has a slightly "v-shaped" sound, akin to the T5p (2nd Gen). However, unlike the Beyerdynamic, the more immediate emphasis is on the lows, as opposed to the highs, which are sparkling, clear and detailed (on the T5p).

You won't get what you want from the DT770 PRO, so we can just skip that.

I listen to a lot of EDM myself, so I know where you are coming from. With that said, I find the T5p (2nd Gen) excellent with dance music. True, its bass section isn't boosted to a high degree, but it has well-textured lows with good slam and impact. The higher registers are sparkling and detailed, and together with its slightly-amplified mid-bass, they provide a lot of the energy that dance music requires.

Nevertheless, if it's heavier bass that you want, then you might have to look elsewhere.

Might I suggest having a look at one of the following headphones? -
  • Fostex TH900 Mk2: Stronger mid-bass hump, better sub-bass extension, a recessed midrange, and bright, but well-articulated highs. If you can stomach its brilliant treble presentation, you'll be rewarded with a fantastic headphone for dance music.
  • Sony MDR-Z1R: A subdued version of the Fostex, but with a lusher and rounder signature. It is not as energetic, but the mid-bass has great texture and thump.

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 7
I really appreciate the time you have taken to give analytical comparisons and helpful recommendations.
It wasn’t my intention to give the T5p a bad recension; i have felt many of its qualities and even the well defined slam you are talking about in several tunes. I totally understand why it is regarded a classic choice.

I have a large denon setup at home with Dali speakers (each has 6.5 inch woofer) plus a dali 10 inch sub. I enjoy my music with the sub off, especially the tunes with mesmerizing melodies, but then when i turn the sub on, wow, you find yourself in another dimension... Like in the middle of a trance festival i the early golden years of trance 😊.
It’s that feeling i want to experience when i have a pair of headphones on and close my eyes (with a little kid at home it’s not an option to turn on the stereo in the evenings).

The fostex th900 i have read a lot about, but there isn’t a retailer where i could test it. The Z1r on the other hand i could order online from a swedish retailer that accepts returns no questions asked. And i am quite intrigued...
The much cheaper Z7 m2 is also interesting...
I have also read about the ultrasone dj, have you any experience of it?
Thanks in advance!

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 7
I really appreciate the time you have taken to give analytical comparisons and helpful recommendations.
It wasn’t my intention to give the T5p a bad recension; i have felt many of its qualities and even the well defined slam you are talking about in several tunes. I totally understand why it is regarded a classic choice.

I have a large denon setup at home with Dali speakers (each has 6.5 inch woofer) plus a dali 10 inch sub. I enjoy my music with the sub off, especially the tunes with mesmerizing melodies, but then when i turn the sub on, wow, you find yourself in another dimension... Like in the middle of a trance festival i the early golden years of trance 😊.
It’s that feeling i want to experience when i have a pair of headphones on and close my eyes (with a little kid at home it’s not an option to turn on the stereo in the evenings).

The fostex th900 i have read a lot about, but there isn’t a retailer where i could test it. The Z1r on the other hand i could order online from a swedish retailer that accepts returns no questions asked. And i am quite intrigued...
The much cheaper Z7 m2 is also interesting...
I have also read about the ultrasone dj, have you any experience of it?
Thanks in advance!
Hey, no worries. I love my T5p (2nd Gen), but I am constantly on the lookout for new headphones to try. This hobby is a slippery slope that has no end, I'm afraid.

Anyway, the Z1R bests the Z7M2 in every area, IMO. If you are looking at Sony, go for the Z1R - you'll get an experience that is better in an overall sense. The lows are stronger and have better texture, treble is well defined, and it is also a more resolving headphone.

I have auditioned the Signature DJ in the past. In comparison with the T5p (2nd Gen), it has a slightly more prominent mid-bass response, and conversely, a treble section that is less stellar, lacking in clarity and energy. However, its overall sound is quite similar to the Beyerdynamic - the book-ends are just flipped; one has the stronger bass (the Signature DJ) and the other, more distinguished highs (the T5p).

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes the Z1R is an excellent choice based on what the OP seems to be seeking. Probably a little pricier, but I think well worth it. I wish that I hadn't had to sell my Z1R. I think I had the first pair in Canada and it was a joy. Not perfect, but very competent across the board, extremely musical and the bass was certainly the star of the show, but not a one trick pony with flabby bass at all. The quantity and quality was there. The one knock on the Z1R is that it is a little restrained in the upper frequencies, and while true, personally I did not find it excessively so nor did I experience it as problematic. The Z1R leans toward an immersive, slightly euphoric presentation of the music and Sony crafted a signature to be an experience as opposed to simply trying to market a neutral headphone. I personally am glad that Sony did what they did.

I haven't heard the Z7MKII as of yet, but I am curious and suspect that the tuning is very similar to the Z1R and might be one of those 90% of the sound for half of the price situations. If the OP is price sensitive the new Z7 variant might be a great option, but as I have never heard it (I did own the original Z7) I am simply hypothesizing based on having read about it. I would also think that the LCD 2C as mentioned previously is worth considering, but again, only from what I have read. I owned the LCD 2F, but that was an open design and I rather liked the tuning. Good luck to you OP and please let us know what you decide and how it works out. I also have the Q5s and I am waiting along with others for a detailed measurement based review from Amir over at audio science review.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 7
The Meze 99 Classics has a stronger mid-bass punch, and you'll be getting that rumble and slam that you crave. However, they are comparatively lacking in definition and resolution. They are also darker, with a scooped midrange and an attenuated treble presentation.

Like the Meze, the Sony Z7M2 has a somewhat prominent mid-bass hump, coupled with a rather scooped midrange, and some smooth and detailed treble. It has a slightly "v-shaped" sound, akin to the T5p (2nd Gen). However, unlike the Beyerdynamic, the more immediate emphasis is on the lows, as opposed to the highs, which are sparkling, clear and detailed (on the T5p).

You won't get what you want from the DT770 PRO, so we can just skip that.

I listen to a lot of EDM myself, so I know where you are coming from. With that said, I find the T5p (2nd Gen) excellent with dance music. True, its bass section isn't boosted to a high degree, but it has well-textured lows with good slam and impact. The higher registers are sparkling and detailed, and together with its slightly-amplified mid-bass, they provide a lot of the energy that dance music requires.

Nevertheless, if it's heavier bass that you want, then you might have to look elsewhere.

Might I suggest having a look at one of the following headphones? -
  • Fostex TH900 Mk2: Stronger mid-bass hump, better sub-bass extension, a recessed midrange, and bright, but well-articulated highs. If you can stomach its brilliant treble presentation, you'll be rewarded with a fantastic headphone for dance music.
  • Sony MDR-Z1R: A subdued version of the Fostex, but with a lusher and rounder signature. It is not as energetic, but the mid-bass has great texture and thump.

Curious to know if the bass on the DT 1990 is good enough. Would you recommend the DT 1990 on the list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back