Bass IEM Roundup 2010
Jan 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RockinCannoisseur

500+ Head-Fier
Well lets hope this decade is better than the last, especially musically.

The Compettion consists of:

Ultimate Ears superfi 5 EB
Atrio M8
Audio Technica cks70
Denon C710
Ultimate Ears Triplefi !0
Sennheiser ie8 *
JVC Fx 500

12-20-09_1323.jpg

12-20-09_1320.jpg

12-20-09_1316.jpg

All iem's wwed wiith Triad Audio's Lisa III and RSA's Predator
12-20-09_1425.jpg

ill try to keep this simple and start start by saying that this is just my opinion, so dont get all salty when u don't like what u read, rather tell me why you disagree.

Bass:UE5 EB> Cks70>c710=> Fx 500> atrio=> tpfi 10- i dare not rate the ie8 as i think both pairs ive owned were fakes and i thought they sucked big time,, but from memory( which dosent mean much) i would put the Westone 3 bass slightly ahead of triplfi 10 but no way it had more punch than triplefi, and without punch bass is useless imo,(im not saying westone 3 didnt punch, just not as much thats all, i dint like w3 highs, they hurt and i sold, plus would distort at high volume)

Punch: UE5EB> Triplefi 10>= c710 >fx500> cks70> atrio> -cks70 does have lots of punch, but muddy punch dosent really count imo

Sibilance: C710> Westone 3(again from memory)> fx 500 >-- the rest didnt have alot of sibilance

Bass tightness: Triplefi !0>Wstone 3 slightly > UE5EB(this punch lets you hear the kick pedal like it was meant to be heard imo) > C710 > slightly tighter than FX 500 > atrio (very neutral comparatively) and cks70 last with its muddy bass

Mids: Triplefi 10(upper mids) > Westone 3(memory)=> c710 slightly>UE5EB >Fx 500 slightly > atrio > cks70

highs: Triplefi 10(no surprise) > Fx 500 > Westone 3(memory)> UE5EB=< atrio and c710 highs are rediculously loud and painful, ironically t he cks70 highs are the exact opposite, and when comparing them it was very recessed

AS a Bass Connoisseur(not basshead!!) what do i prefer. strickly for bass and punch i prefer UE5EB, UE Triplfi 10, fx 500 slighlty over c710 because c710 highs are just rediculous, some have said fx 500 highs are bad,, well not near as much as c710 that much i can promise you, then atrio, and last place is the cks70 which had no high end and ruined the signature imo. if i had to put the westone 3 from memory in there, i would saay i prefer them over the c710 seeing as how they are both sibilant, and no way is westone more sibilant than c710(which is the loudest iem i have ever heard)

sorry i hate doing thing by memory (westone 3) but i had to fill the empty slot, cause dome d bag sold me fake ie8's but to be honest with you the fit is so rediculous i may just pass, seeing as how ive bought to fd up pairs so far

that was strickly my bass preference in order, if iwas forced to pick 3 of those i would choose triplefi 10 ue5 EB and Fx500.

Bands: English Beat, Pointed Sticks, Rose Tatoo, Shonen Knife , Groovie Ghoulies, The Dicks, Lime Spiders,, Hoodu Gurus, Deadbolt, Big Boys, Flamin Groovies, Plan 9, CCCP, The Saints, The Monks, zero boys, radio birdman, %$#$%^$#@, The Boys, The stooges, The Specials, the blackhearts, Wire, Dick Dale, Discharge, Dictators, Forgotten Rebels, Eskorbuto, La Polla, Doble Fuerza, GBH, gg allin and the Jabbers, girlschool, infa riot, maiden, the heartbreakers, link wray, chaos uk, the gun club, marky ramone and the intruders, the lurkers, the meteors, the replacements, the trashmen, the undertones, the adverts, the ventures
Teenage Head, 999, Blatz, Angry Samoans, cok sparrer, Angelic Upstarts, Anti- nowhere league, Buzzcocks, the vibrators, x ray specs, thin lizzy, tubeway army, wall of voodoo, Rocket form the crypt, wanda jackson, waisted youth, red kross, peter and the test tube babies, the damned, the cramps, the adicts, the toy dolls, subhumans, buck owens, sonny burgess, warren smith, wanda jackson, janis martin, webb wilder, abttalion of saints, buddy knox, jerry's kids, circle jerks, dengue fever, rosa seserey sotea, penn rahn(cambodia rocks), dwarves, stray cats, the ruts, reagan youth, youth brigade, penetration, the germs, nekromantix, the meatmen, minor threat, electric frankenstein, slaughter and the dogs and many more im leaving out.

i will be adding alot more in depth a-b comparrsions to this thread which ive got all written down, but i wanted to get this up and going for now. please feel free to pm if u have any questions and ad all of your insight to help out other fellow head fier make the right choise of iem.

Happy new YEAR!

What have i learned from all this comparing, buy UE11's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What have i learned from all this comparing, buy UE11's
smily_headphones1.gif

Or better yet, buy the JH-13's. (for me anyways, cuz mids & highs are just as important)
The IEM list is (almost) the same as the ones featured in the Sound & Vision Jan2010 issue. I read all the bands in list, but have never heard of any of them.
Do you know for sure that those IE-8's are fake or not? Do they not look like the fake ones in the fake IE8 thread?
Let us know hen you get some good AB comparisons, I wanna know how you would describe the bass between each of them side by side.
Thanks

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 12
JH13s for changing the whole game in portable listening! Outside of the budget Koss headphones, they're the best bang-for-the-buck bargain in audio, creating amazing sound that can compete with multi-thousand dollar headphone rigs, and the bass extension plus speed is better than most:

boomana-albums-boomana-s-stuff-picture3480-p9120078.jpg

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Sibilance: C710> Westone 3(again from memory)> fx 500 >-- the rest didnt have alot of sibilance"

"if i had to put the westone 3 from memory in there, i would saay i prefer them over the c710 seeing as how they are both sibilant, and no way is westone more sibilant than c710(which is the loudest iem i have ever heard)"

Yeah, I just noticed that....What does that mean?
Sibilant:: having, containing, or producing the sound of or a sound resembling that of the s or the sh in sash

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/
I like to read this in my spare time, its alot to remember though.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH13s for changing the whole game in portable listening! Outside of the budget Koss headphones, they're the best bang-for-the-buck bargain in audio, creating amazing sound that can compete with multi-thousand dollar headphone rigs, and the bass extension plus speed is better than most:

boomana-albums-boomana-s-stuff-picture3480-p9120078.jpg

I love the design of your 13's anyway but that picture of them is just stunning. Yours or a JH in house special? (assuming its yours since the ipod is there and stuff)

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 12
think that was taken at a small meet, thats a pico slim prototype too
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or better yet, buy the JH-13's. (for me anyways, cuz mids & highs are just as important)
The IEM list is (almost) the same as the ones featured in the Sound & Vision Jan2010 issue. I read all the bands in list, but have never heard of any of them.
Do you know for sure that those IE-8's are fake or not? Do they not look like the fake ones in the fake IE8 thread?
Let us know hen you get some good AB comparisons, I wanna know how you would describe the bass between each of them side by side.
Thanks

i just thought the ie8 sucked so bad that they had to be fakes, sadly i think i may have to buy another pair just to test, i know im not going to like their fit or isolation.

which a-b comparison interests you?

i heard ue11 and jh11 have more bass than jh13

thanks

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #11 of 12
So the triple fi10 has more bass than the fx500?that's the first te I think I read this.nice read and impressions,thanks for your time.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the triple fi10 has more bass than the fx500?that's the first te I think I read this.nice read and impressions,thanks for your time.

tpfi 10 has more punch not more bass comes close amped

say how would you compare your real ie8 to your fx500? bass and punch? does the fx highs make the ie8 sound recessed when a-b compared?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back