Bass Heavy Headphones
Jan 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Prohgress

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,

I am a newbie to audio and headphones. I was thinking of buying a new pair of over-ear headphones. I want one with lots of bass, because I listen to rap, hip-hop, and dubstep. It also has to be stylish and portable. I have a budget of $100. I'll be listening from my iPod Touch. I don't have a headphone amplifier.

I heard Sennheiser has really nice headphones, but they don't have very good bass. I was looking at the HD 448's and HD 428's. I was also looking at the Skullcandy Skullcrushers, but I heard Skullcandy isn't very a very good quality headphone. Can you guys suggest me some headphones?

Please Help!

Thank you,
Prohgress

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 28
I have the Crossfade LP's, I love them. They have a lot of bass, the mids/highs are pretty good, not excellent but very good for the price. The build quality is SUPERB, there isn't a whole lot of plastic, they're made of mostly metal. They to tend to get a little uncomfortable after a few hours of use, but overall I love them.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 28
Crossfades are junk. Try to find a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1 you could get one in the For Sale thread for  $100. Also look into Panasonic HTF-600 its only $30 and has plenty of bass and very good quality for its price, It's compared to headphones 5x its price. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 28
Prohgress ignore every suggestion they have just made. They made the mistake of going into this thinking you are looking for audiophile sound. in your tastes. the HFI 580's will not do AT ALL.

This is from experience from dealing with people that can't aford beats but still want good audio.. the LP are good suggestions though and you could check them out. but where to check them out would be a problem.

My suggestion:
Sony XB500 or XB700. both are differnt. from what i remember. the XB500 has more bass and the XB700 has less bass but better vocals and highs. the XB500 are $50 and the XB700 are $75. They do not need to use an amp. The LP and 580 don't need an amp either but will benefit from one.

I listen to your kind of mainstream music. if you want to hear a milli destroy your ears with impact. or Kanye just dominate. you want the Sony's.  The Sony's are mainstream bass head cans. they are also quite portable and made for ipod as that's what sony tailored them for.

The LP and HFI 580 are audiophile headphones with an emphasis on mids, highs and basically to shwo you what they sound like (less ont he LP) most consumers will not enjoy this. as in you. You will love the Sony's. they are also quite cheap.

Just take it from a ranked head fi'er plz

you are lucky i took a whim and looked at the forum section. you would have been all. This forum is stupid or something like that. 
Crisis Averted!
You may see reviews on the LP and HFI 580 talk about clean tight thumpnig bass. this is different. we are talking about audiophile bass. basically a low frequency that the artists intended. Clean and tight. You want consumer bass. IT's different. I feel you man. I also have a consumer heart at times. The Sony's are what you want.

EDIT:If you want to know just how much Bass these Sony's have. They have more bass/lowfrequency/impact than The Beats Solo's and the mids and highs are better! and they don't break as easy!

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 28
Heya,

I'll echo a few thoughts here, but when it comes to aprox. $100 and under basshead, here's some quick options:

Shure SRH750 DJ
Ultrasone HFI 580
Sony XB500
Panasonic HTF600 <-- best value in my opinion for budget basshead.

You're at all on a budget, go Panasonic. Review in signature.

Very best,

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 28
I think I can echo what bowei006 is saying. I bought a pair of HTF-600's recently because I wanted a 'fun' pair of full sized headphones for at home, so naturally I thought the warm basshead phones were just what I wanted. Well, I wasn't disappointed by them, but they're not what I was expecting. I wasn't sure why until I read that post, makes sense now though.

Ironically it was just the opposite for the pair of Xears A330 Pros I bought. At first I hated them because they were overly bass heavy even for Xears earbuds, just outright favoring the lows over mids and highs which ended up sounding muffled and underwhelming compared to the cleaner TD-III's I had before. But after a while they grew on me, now I listen to both depending on the mood I'm in. Sometimes it's just nice to throw correctness to the wind and have some head rattling bass for a while, and if that's what you're after the HTF-600's probably aren't what you want.

Think I'll go find some XB-500's actually

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
I think I can echo what bowei006 is saying. I bought a pair of HTF-600's recently because I wanted a 'fun' pair of full sized headphones for at home, so naturally I thought the warm basshead phones were just what I wanted. Well, I wasn't disappointed by them, but they're not what I was expecting. I wasn't sure why until I read that post, makes sense now though.

Ironically it was just the opposite for the pair of Xears A330 Pros I bought. At first I hated them because they were overly bass heavy even for Xears earbuds, just outright favoring the lows over mids and highs which ended up sounding muffled and underwhelming compared to the cleaner TD-III's I had before. But after a while they grew on me, now I listen to both depending on the mood I'm in. Sometimes it's just nice to throw correctness to the wind and have some head rattling bass for a while, and if that's what you're after the HTF-600's probably aren't what you want.

Think I'll go find some XB-500's actually

This is exactly what i have been trying toget across. Beats converts or just average consumers would not like Audiophile bass. it could grow on them given the time. But for a headphone. 
Sony XB500 or XB700's are what you want.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
The panasonic, Shure, Ultrasone's get about a 4 out of 10. The XB500 and XB700 get about 8-9 in terms of bass impact and all that consumer feeling of bass.

XB700 hasn't lot of bass impact, sub bass yes, but XB500 has much more bass impact and the rating seems to me completely weird.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 28

Quote:

XB700 hasn't lot of bass impact, sub bass yes, but XB500 has much more bass impact and the rating seems to me completely weird.

Yeah it was kinda weird for me also. but it was jsut this little hypothetical thing to kinda show just how much more bass presence and impact(that mainstream consumers like him wants) as compared to audiophile bassy headphones.

so. just try out the XB700 and XB500, you will like them lots :)

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 28
Bowei how do you think the combo of ultrasone pro 900 and zo2 would work for someone who is looking for "consumer" type bass? Im in the same boat as op but didnt realize it untill I read your post. Thanks btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back