Bass headphones without awful vocals/highs
Jan 4, 2016 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zenophix

Head-Fier
So i've been contemplating between the SZ2K and the SZ1K my biggest thing is I listen to alot of EDM Hip Hop and Trance especially trance so i'd love to hear the bass in the trance, but also not have completely horrendous vocals the DT 770 Pro 250's delivered on everything, but mid bass and sub bass wasn't enough. what would you guys recommend. Amp recommendations are welcome too would like to stay under 300 if possible.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 13
If that 300 is just for headphones and for headphones plus an amp. I would say if you can stretch your budget into the 400s and look around a bit a used lcd2 does pretty much exactly what you want sound wise.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 13
I think a used HiFiMan HE-400 (not HE-400S or HE-400i) is the only headphone in that price range that has a chance at satisfying you.  If you can stretch it then Audeze becomes an option like SeaWo|f said.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 13
If you can find a Fostex THX00 for sale, that sounds like what you're describing.  

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 13
  If you can find a Fostex THX00 for sale, that sounds like what you're describing.  

Whoops, forgot about this one.  This is another one of few headphones that has a reputation that matches your description.  Note that other Fostex headphones do not fit this description; the others have awful vocals/mids and highs.  I never heard the TH-X00 but it's supposed to be vastly improved in the mids and highs.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 13

Whoops, forgot about this one.  This is another one of few headphones that has a reputation that matches your description.  Note that other Fostex headphones do not fit this description; the others have awful vocals/mids and highs.  I never heard the TH-X00 but it's supposed to be vastly improved in the mids and highs.

well, if he liked the DT770 mids/high, he would probably like the TH900.  The DT770 signature is pretty similar to the TH900, IMHO, except the TH900 has ***way*** more sub-bass.  However, the TH900 is $1000+  Even the TH600 is a decent bit out of his budget.

I don't know if the THX00 is "vastly improved" in the highs, they're just not as prominent as the THX00, it just depends on how much treble you like.  The TH900 has better treble extension.  The THX00 has more neutral treble.  I think of it llke the TH900 is a sharp V and the THX00 is a soft U.

The biggest issue is that he already said the DT700 wasn't enough bass, and the DT770 is already something of a basshead headphone.  I honestly don't even know if the HE400 would be enough bass for him if the DT770 wasn't nearly enough.

Another consideration would be the Fidellio X2, but even though it's considered very bass-y, I am hesitant to say it has more bass than the DT770.  There's also the possibility of finding a used Denon D2000.  

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Yeah I talked to someone who owns the TH-X00's and explained to him the music i'm looking for and the sound I want and he agreed those are my best options so i'll be getting them on Massdrop in February for now i'm just looking at pair of IEM's for traveling since I have $310 in Amazon giftcards that I can use as well. If you guys have any experience in these fields what i've seen so far is RHA T20, JVC FX850, Dunu DN2000, Dunu DN200J

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Side note: After spending a day listening to my SHP9500's since I sent the DT770's back I can appreciate the bass they had they just didn't have any punch and that's what I felt was lacking sub bass was awesome, but no mid bass made me sad.

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 13
  Yeah I talked to someone who owns the TH-X00's and explained to him the music i'm looking for and the sound I want and he agreed those are my best options so i'll be getting them on Massdrop in February for now i'm just looking at pair of IEM's for traveling since I have $310 in Amazon giftcards that I can use as well. If you guys have any experience in these fields what i've seen so far is RHA T20, JVC FX850, Dunu DN2000, Dunu DN200J

this is going to sound weird, because nobody has heard of them and they're $13, but these inateck woody IEMs: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017H0371E, with comply max isolation tips: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OOWBWA are pretty close to the signature you're after.  It's weird to pay more for the tips than the IEMs themselves, but they're pretty awesome as a crazy bass experience when paired together.  If you want to tame the bass a bit, try the sport comply version: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DKZP7A.  I keep the sport comply foam tips on most of the time and they're a very pleasant U-shape fun IEM.  With the max isolation foam tips they're bass monsters to the point of absurdity.

Here is their frequency response with the stock silicone tips:

The max isolation tips bring up the lower midrange a touch and bring down the treble a touch.  The sport tips bring down the bass a bit and brings up the mids and lower treble a bit.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 13
They look good don't get me wrong i'm like really stuck on the RHA T20's or the Dunu-DN2000J the Dunu's are $75 more so i'm thinking the RHA may be the better value hard to find a decent comparison.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 13
  They look good don't get me wrong i'm like really stuck on the RHA T20's or the Dunu-DN2000J the Dunu's are $75 more so i'm thinking the RHA may be the better value hard to find a decent comparison.

Don't be swayed by the higher price of these two IEMs compared to the cheaper pair suggested by fjrabon. Price doesn't mean they will necessarily fit your sound preference. Considering you find the 770 to be lacking in the bass frequency, I am sure you would be disappointed by the Dunu and RHA. Anyway, saving some money until you get the TH-X00 might be nice. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 13
I wasn't disappointed in the DT770 sub bass just the mid bass. I decided on the RHA due to the money being on amazon gift cards and I wanted to have a pair that's extremely portable. I will still be investing in the TH-X00's not sure I need an amp or dac for the RHA's, but if anyone has any recommendations i'm more then open and I wasn't swayed by the price just by the extremely good things i've heard about RHA and those specifically I may still pick up a pair that he recommended :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back